E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
ZHPPPP

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
OEM Xenon not working after angel eye install

Yesterday I installed umnitza led angel eyes on my 06 zhp and they look great but now my drivers side oem xenon bulb isn't working. so I tried replacing the
bulb still nothing. So I plugged my drivers side headlight into the passenger side wiring harness to see if it would work and it worked with no problem so i thought it has to be a wiring issue on the drivers side since the drivers side headlight was working while it was connected to the passenger side harness. Just to make sure it was wiring i plugged in the passenger side headlight into the drivers side wiring harness and it worked perfectly. WTF? So i then put the headlights back into the right spots and once again the drivers side headlight didn't work. the turn signal works but no xenon. I wiggled the wiring harness for like 20 min with nothing then they came on. so i started the car and the light went out again. I'm still thinking its a wiring issue but i don't understand why the passenger side headlight would work on the drivers side with no problem and vice versa. Please Help!!!
ZHPPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and reconnect it with the headlights back in the car and connected....then see if it does it.

Happened to me on an install I did for a friend. Sometimes the lcm needs to be reset when the headlights are disconnected.

Last edited by 330ciandr6; 05-13-2011 at 11:08 AM.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
By any chance did you leave the ballasts attached to the headlights when you baked them?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
ZHPPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and reconnect it with the headlights back in the car and connected....then see if it does it.

Happened to me on an install I did for a friend. Sometimes the lcm needs to be reset when the headlights are disconnected.
Thanx bro I really hope that works because the last thing I want to do is go to a shop and have them diag a electrical problem because we know that the labor time on something like that will be through the roof. But why would it work on the passenger side and not the drivers side and vice versa. And what is the proper way to disconnect the battery because I dont want to mess up anything else.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
ZHPPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
By any chance did you leave the ballasts attached to the headlights when you baked them?
No I disconnected the ballasts.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

So it was just the headlight with no bulbs, ballast, ignitor, etc. Correct?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
ZHPPPP

Quote:
So it was just the headlight with no bulbs, ballast, ignitor, etc. Correct?
No I'm an idiot I didn't take the bulbs out. But it can't b the bulb or ignitor because it worked when I plugged it into the passenger side harness.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Just checking

I encountered something similar once, but it was with tail lights. See if the pins on the drivers headlight are good. It might be possible that when it's plugged into the passenger side a certain pin makes contact and on the drivers side it doesn't.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
ZHPPPP

Quote:
Just checking

I encountered something similar once, but it was with tail lights. See if the pins on the drivers headlight are good. It might be possible that when it's plugged into the passenger side a certain pin makes contact and on the drivers side it doesn't.
I hope leaving the bulb in didn't mess something up. I was looking at DIY's but none of them said I had to take out the bulb. But I'll check the pins. But if that was the case y would the passenger side headlight work when I plugged it into the drivers side harness.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
330ciandr6

Do what I said and post results...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
ZHPPPP

Quote:
Do what I said and post results...
I will, but what is the proper way to disconnect the battery. Disconnect ground then positive?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
330ciandr6

just disconnect the negative for about 5 minutes and you'll be fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
ZHPPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPPPP View Post
I will, but what is the proper way to disconnect the battery. Disconnect ground then positive?
Ok thanx.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
ZHPPPP

Quote:
just disconnect the negative for about 5 minutes and you'll be fine.
Dude u r amazing thanx man it worked. You really saved me a lot of pain and money. Thanx again. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
330ciandr6

Thats why i'm here

Tags
angeleye, hid, problem, working, xenon