E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I would bet the cracking is from cheap-o's..... Or crazy heat on the track.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP,

You won't get your answer in this thread...you need to read many, many threads to know what the truth is.

I'll give you a hint. OE is in my opinion the best for the range of conditions your car will experience. It's not only the safe choice, but it's the safest choice.

You don't care about brake dust unless you're bothered more about appearance than stopping, and it's exactly the same with rotors. They're not on the car as a decoration, they're fn brakes...for, you know, stopping.

Brakes...for stopping. We don't care about dust or looking cool, we wants our bmws! OE. Face Munich, apologize for your thoughts...make roundel on forehead with brake anti-squel...you'll be fine!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP,

You won't get your answer in this thread...you need to read many, many threads to know what the truth is.

I'll give you a hint. OE is in my opinion the best for the range of conditions your car will experience. It's not only the safe choice, but it's the safest choice.

You don't care about brake dust unless you're bothered more about appearance than stopping, and it's exactly the same with rotors. They're not on the car as a decoration, they're fn brakes...for, you know, stopping.

Brakes...for stopping. We don't care about dust or looking cool, we wants our bmws! OE. Face Munich, apologize for your thoughts...make roundel on forehead with brake anti-squel...you'll be fine!
Do you do track time?

If answered no: Then you need not worry about cracked rotors due to heat. I'm sorry, but on the street there is no difference between the highest quality blank and the highest quality drilled rotors

If answered yes: You should be vary concerned with your brake fluid, pads and rotors. If you're out there for a long time going hard you will begin to see extremely hot temperatures. Brake fade due to temperatures and boiling fluid due to crappy brake fluid are not things you want to experience. High quality rotors will give high quality performance - they will have a low rate of failure.

OEM parts are not always best for track - please don't try to tell me otherwise. One can "get away with" lower quality blanks than with drilled. The the rate of failure will be much lower for cheap blanks than for cheap drilled.

I don't see anyone recommending he buy the cheapest drilled rotors he can - that would be stupid. Obviously only run drilled if you know that they are of sufficient quality for your needs, can spot problems before they hurt anybody, and accept the risks involved

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 05-20-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
dmax

I agree for the track, track pads are better, but they're worse on the street where most spend 99.9% of their miles, even if they track.

If you track a few times a year, then you'll be prepping your car anyway, wouldn't it make sense to put a track pad on it for that, and remove them to get the best pads for the street?

Oh, btw, did I hear the occasional street race? I'm sure you do it very safely, and haven't hit any of our children yet, so when you do street race, just make sure there aren't any people or cars around. You know this is real life, not a movie, right, OP?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Me and three of my friends have aggressive STREET pads and we have track pads that we switch in and out before and after each event. Even my friends M3 track car, he still switches to safe pads.

We're not discussing pads here, we're discussing rotors.

When was it suggested that anyone would be "street racing". Nobody runs in 25mph neighborhoods anyway

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #26
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Me and three of my friends have aggressive STREET pads and we have track pads that we switch in and out before and after each event. Even my friends M3 track car, he still switches to safe pads.

We're not discussing pads here, we're discussing rotors.

When was it suggested that anyone would be "street racing". Nobody runs in 25mph neighborhoods anyway
OP said he was street racing...no suggestion of it!

Sorry, yea, I went off on pads, but I will say that if OP is looking at rotors, then he'll be looking at pads too.

A recent set

Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
blanks are the best, slotted eat up pads, drilled crack though you get the best cooling.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 05-20-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #28
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
blanks are the best, slotted eat up pads, drilled crack though you get the best cooling.
no they dont crack ive had my drileld zimemrmans for 8 months with very very aggressive street driving canyons runs twice a week and a few track days and they are still in great condition zero cracks
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #29
mkodama

They look cool, but that's about it in terms of a street car. There are no downsides unless they are holes drilled in an already low quality rotor, or the holes are drilled too large and too close together by some idiot. Going with the bigger OEM names like Brembo, Balo, Ate, and Zimmerman is a pretty safe bet if you just want some nice looking rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
^those are cast perforated rotors if I'm not mistaken. They don't have the weakness of cross drilled ones by design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
the OEM performance ones are cast perforated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
Zimmermann products seems to be cast perforated (even if vendors advertise them as cross-drilled... marketing...)
There is no such thing as rotors with "cast holes". It's a cost prohibitive idea with no benefits, as any hole, regardless of drilling or casting, is going to be a stress riser. If anybody actually finds any proof showing otherwise, I'd love to see it.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #30
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT

No problems here after 20k miles

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #31
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
There's blank (standard), drilled and slotted.

Blanks work the best. Period.
I think a 2-piece floating drilled design (like the 330 performance rotors and the rotors found on newer M-cars) would probably be better than single-piece blanks. The floating design allows for lesser weights and for lower overall brake temperatures. Both factors lead to better brake performance. While a blank floating rotor might be even better, they're not exactly common. I don't think any BMW has come with blank floating rotors since the E39 M5.

I don't think cracks will be a significant concern on a well-designed rotors. You don't really hear about the newer M cars cracking their rotors all the time.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I think a 2-piece floating drilled design (like the 330 performance rotors and the rotors found on newer M-cars) would probably be better than single-piece blanks. The floating design allows for lesser weights and for lower overall brake temperatures. Both factors lead to better brake performance. While a blank floating rotor might be even better, they're not exactly common. I don't think any BMW has come with blank floating rotors since the E39 M5.

I don't think cracks will be a significant concern on a well-designed rotors. You don't really hear about the newer M cars cracking their rotors all the time.
Exactly. For all those about OE..well floating cross drilled rotors are factory equipment on the M3 ZCP and CSL. So where's your logic now. Not only as stated will they run cooler from being a floating hat design, weigh less for performance, directionally vented vanes, they also keep the heat away from the bearings compared to solid blanks.

Don't generalize here people. rusted poorly designed and made blanks can be much worse than a fairly good cross drilled(and vice versa). A good perforated floating hat design rotor is much better than a blank.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #33
mkodama

Quote:

I agree with everything you say other than two things:

-Lower overall brake temperatures, no. What does a floating rotor have anything to do with the cooling of the rotor? If anything, overall temperatures might be higher since rotor heat can't travel to the top hat any more.

-Floating rotors are quite common when there is the money and the car ends up on the track. BMW used them stock on the E46 M3 CSL/ZCP and E92 M3. Look at any of the good brake kits for race use and they are almost always floating. Most factory race cars these days come with them from the factory.

Last edited by mkodama; 05-21-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #34
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I agree with everything you say other than two things:

-Lower overall brake temperatures, no. What does a floating rotor have anything to do with the cooling of the rotor? If anything, overall temperatures might be higher since rotor heat can't travel to the top hat any more.

-Floating rotors are quite common when there is the money and the car ends up on the track. BMW used them stock on the E46 M3 CSL/ZCP and E92 M3. Look at any of the good brake kits for race use and they are almost always floating. Most factory race cars these days come with them from the factory.
Well I was thinking lower temperatures for two reasons: A) aluminum is better at dissipating heat than iron. And B) Generally floating rotors also have directional cooling vanes - I don't think I've ever seen a set that didn't have them. I've yet to see a 1-piece rotor with directional vanes sold for the E46

For the second point - read my post more carefully. I said blank floating rotors, like the ones on the euro E36 M3 and euro E39 M5, aren't too common these days. The drilled ones like the ones found on the euro e46 m3, CSL/ZCP, and all recent M-cars are obviously fairly common.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-21-2011 at 05:16 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
mkodama

Quote:
Well I was thinking lower temperatures for two reasons: A) aluminum is better at dissipating heat than iron. And B) Generally floating rotors also have directional cooling vanes - I don't think I've ever seen a set that didn't have them. I've yet to see a 1-piece rotor with directional vanes sold for the E46

For the second point - read my post more carefully. I said blank floating rotors, like the ones on the euro E36 M3 and euro E39 M5, aren't too common these days. The drilled ones like the ones found on the euro e46 m3, CSL/ZCP, and all recent M-cars are obviously fairly common.
Well, that separation and small contact area between the floating rotor surface and center hat brings heat transfer way down to negligible levels. The directional cooling vanes aren't a floating rotor specific thing either.

And yes, I did misread the "blank" floating rotor part. In response, I will post a picture of Performance Friction's really cool floating and dimpled rotors that they use on the Formula 1 C63 safety cars. Directionally vented, dimples with a nice radius, a special mounting setup that puts the top at bolts in double shear, and then there is the fact that they are like huge 15" rotors.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #36
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Well, that separation and small contact area between the floating rotor surface and center hat brings heat transfer way down to negligible levels. The directional cooling vanes aren't a floating rotor specific thing either.

And yes, I did misread the "blank" floating rotor part. In response, I will post a picture of Performance Friction's really cool floating and dimpled rotors that they use on the Formula 1 C63 safety cars. Directionally vented, dimples with a nice radius, a special mounting setup that puts the top at bolts in double shear, and then there is the fact that they are like huge 15" rotors.

Yea I should've been more specific. I think we're generally in agreement though

And those brakes are beautiful Makes the CSL brakes I'll be mounting next week look tiny
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #37
cdseven95

My Ride: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOSUbob View Post
I don't think having cross-drilled (or perforated) rotors fail is a COMMON problem. I mean, let's be honest, just about every single high-performance car comes with them standard.
Ehh... I think its more for looks and in theory they are said to have higher performance...

I think it is pretty much proven that a blank is the choice for performance....

EX- Take f-1... Cost is not a factor at all and these cars are built for the best performance possible.... If drilled/ slotted performed better they would have them.

MOST true race cars are blanks...

Last edited by cdseven95; 05-21-2011 at 01:45 PM.
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #38
mkodama

Those are carbon-ceramic rotors on F1 cars. They operate differently than street car cast iron rotors. But even carbon ceramic brakes comes with drilled holes sometimes:

Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #39
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Those are carbon-ceramic rotors on F1 cars. They operate differently than street car cast iron rotors. But even carbon ceramic brakes comes with drilled holes sometimes:

Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #40
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
lol at how much brake jobs costed on the porsches that had carbon ceramic brakes when I worked at the dealer.
If i'm not mistaken (its been a few years) I believe the rotors were around $800-$1000 each.