E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #41
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
no they dont crack ive had my drileld zimemrmans for 8 months with very very aggressive street driving canyons runs twice a week and a few track days and they are still in great condition zero cracks
I've always used Zimmerman cross drill brakes on my VW's. Now I have a set that is cross drilled and slotted on my 330ci. Never had any issues. They are great rotors. Picked F and R up for 315.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #42
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
their is a big reason why race cars use drilled and slotted rotors lol. They stop better and have way better cooling which is a lot less pressure on your brakes. It also depends on what brand and kind of rotors they are, as well as your brakes pads.

Stretch + poke = All show, no go!!!

Last edited by PRDesignsTony; 05-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.
PRDesignsTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #43
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I have had My Stoptech Rotors RED hot and they are slotted and cross drilled. ive had them so hot that my pads actually caught on fire once. but i have never had them crack Ebay ones will crack good brand names wont

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #44
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Posts removed...

Back on track please

Enough bickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #45
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
bickering...on such a touchy subject...noooooooooooo not on a forum
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #46
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRDesignsTony View Post
their is a big reason why race cars use drilled and slotted rotors lol. They stop better and have way better cooling which is a lot less pressure on your breaks. It also depends on what brand and kind of rotors they are, as well as your break pads.
They don't all use drilled and slotted rotors, and what makes you think the brakes on a race car operate in even remotely comparable conditions to the average street car?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #47
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
their is a big reason why race cars use drilled and slotted rotors lol. They stop better and have way better cooling which is a lot less pressure on your breaks. It also depends on what brand and kind of rotors they are, as well as your break pads.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #48
PRDesignsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
They don't all use drilled and slotted rotors, and what makes you think the brakes on a race car operate in even remotely comparable conditions to the average street car?
Yes, I know not all of them do and the breaks do operate differently then an average street car, however their is still a big reason why they use it. I believe that stopping power is better(My opinion) with cross drilled and slotted rotors. They are able to cool a lot faster. The op said he will be doing a few street races now and than, drilled rotors would go great in certain situations.

Plus, they make your car stand out from the rest.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #49
Alexotronic

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
My .02c .. Drilled rotors look cool.

I wonder what happens when/if one cracks though... I can imagine some pretty violent stuff happening in the brake area.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
PRDesignsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexotronic View Post
My .02c .. Drilled rotors look cool.

I wonder what happens when/if one cracks though... I can imagine some pretty violent stuff happening in the brake area.
just don't go cheap when it comes to buying brakes and replace them when it's time to.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #51
mkodama

Quote:
Yes, I know not all of them do and the breaks do operate differently then an average street car, however their is still a big reason why they use it. I believe that stopping power is better(My opinion) with cross drilled and slotted rotors. They are able to cool a lot faster. The op said he will be doing a few street races now and than, drilled rotors would go great in certain situations.

Plus, they make your car stand out from the rest.
Ok speed racer.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #52
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Mercedes when they first introduced their cars with cross drilled rotors, they had a major recal due to majority of the rotors cracking.

We are talking about Benz here, I highly doubt the recal was due to design flaw. it's just fact that less space equals less traction, therefore less grip and performance, not to mention it eats up your pads faster, causes more brake dust. There was also a study somewhere when Benz recall happened, and according to it, if not drilled and designed properly cross drilled rotors will end up heating furthermore than blanks, poor air flow, same with slotted.

It sure looks cooler, but you don't **** with suspension and the brakes.. Ever..

If I am on a track that requires ton of braking I would go slotted, on street blanks. My car still looks pretty damn good, and I rather not pay extra money to risk rollover or worse.

Last edited by doshu; 05-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #53
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Mercedes when they first introduced their cars with cross drilled rotors, they had a major recal due to majority of the rotors cracking.

We are talking about Benz here, I highly doubt the recal was due to design flaw. it's just a fact that less space equals less traction, therefore less grip and performance, not to mention it eats up your pads faster, causes more brake dust. There was also a study somewhere when Benz recall happened, and according to it, if not drilled and designed properly cross drilled rotors will end up heating furthermore than blanks, poor air flow, same with slotted.

It sure looks cooler, but you don't **** with suspension and the brakes.. Ever..

If I am on a track that requires ton of braking I would go slotted, on street blanks. My car still looks pretty damn good, and I rather not pay extra money to risk rollover or worse.
And I would say your entire argument is invalid since you don't even know high school level physics.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #54
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
[QUOTE=mkodama;13195281]And I would say your entire argument is invalid since you don't even know high school level physics.[/]

If you want to prove my theory wrong I am all ears, but if you want to change my opinion you will need more than a neeneer reply.

I am open to ideas, and not afraid of being proven wrong.

My wife does that all the time..

Last edited by doshu; 05-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #55
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Quote:
And I would say your entire argument is invalid since you don't even know high school level physics.
If you want to prove my theory wrong I am all ears, but if you want to change my opinion you will need more than a neeneer reply.

I am open ideas, and not afraid of being proven wrong.

My wife does that all the time..
Basic equation for friction of non-deformable objects is F=mu*N

F: Force due to friction
mu: coefficient of friction; varies by material
N: normal force, the force "pushing" the two objects together

If you notice, area does not come into this equation at all, which is where a lot of people get it wrong.

EDIT: I was actually just kinda trolling you, but you gave an unexpectedly mature response so I will take the effort to write this stuff out.

Last edited by mkodama; 05-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #56
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:

If you notice, area does not come into this equation at all, which is where a lot of people get it wrong.

Shameless Seinfeld insert..... never gets old

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #57
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
LULZ this thread!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #58
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:

EDIT: I was actually just kinda trolling you, but you gave an unexpectedly mature response so I will take the effort to write this stuff out.
This has always bugged me - if friction is independent of contact area, then why do wider tires grip better than narrow tires? I would think the coefficient itself would vary a bit with the contact area
Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #59
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Same reason why a big brake kit won't show huge improvements over a properly designed oem system in a single 60-0 test. A bbk will have larger rotors for heat reasons, not surface area.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #60
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Same reason why a big brake kit won't show huge improvements over a properly designed oem system in a single 60-0 test. A bbk will have larger rotors for heat reasons, not surface area.
So you're telling me that one can have one car on bicycle tires and another with idk... 255s all around, and that they'd initially perform very similarly? Experience tells me this is not the case.

Also technically a BBK will generate more brake torque than a smaller diameter brake. If one had a set of tires sufficiently sticky so as to not lock up with stock brakes, then a BBK absolutely will improve 60-0 distances. Torque = F*d*sin(theta) (in this case it'd be just f*d since the force is applied perpendicular to the rotor surface).