E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
22 LR conversion kit...should I get one for my Kimber or Glock 21?

Curious, I have a Glock 21 and a Kimber 1911 Raptor II in stainless.

I know the Kimber one is about $320 and the Glock 21 kit is about $250.

Which one would you chose and why? I like both guns but the Glocks are my carry weapons. I do have a Walther P22 that I like alot for plinking at the range so the conversion kit for the 45's would just be to save some money and have fun with the full size guns. All opinions and personal experience are welcome. I have read the reviews of both the Kimber and Glock 22 conversions. I would be shooting CCI Mini Mags as I normally do with the Walther P22.

Thanks all.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I'd be more prone to getting the Kimber, but only if the conversion was the Kimber factory .22LR conversion. I am wary of Glock conversions, as Glock has come out and said that they don't recommend them. Kimber has a 1yr factory warranty, so it's not like you're nullifying a great warranty. That, and their factory kit does not void the warranty. On the other hand, using any aftermarket parts (excluding sights and lights) voids a Glock warranty. Glocks are rugged and durable, and the chances of a .22LR conversion causing damage are very minimal. However, food for thought.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
I would also go Kimber. If you carry the Glock, it makes sense to practice with the full power ammo and save the cheap stuff for plinking at the range.

You may also want to try the Federal Champion value pack .22. My .22s are actually more reliable using that than the mini mags, and at $15/550 rounds it's a lot cheaper.

Edit: I can't speak to the conversion kit, but Ive shot the Kimber .22 1911 and it was a great shooter.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Thanks all, will probably go with the silver Kimber conversion kit. They have it locally for around $320. Since I bought the Kimber Raptor II for range use, probably best to get the Kimber kit. I am sure the weight will be alot lighter.