E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 332 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #981
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
You two guys need to be a little more objective in you criticism, if you're going to give your opnion how about you specify exactly what it is you don't like or not working for you rather than just saying it's sh!t which doesn't help anybody.
And Scotty_89, I've had the V4 Dynavin for almost a year and have found it to work as it's supposed to with zero issues to date.
In 99.9% of cases it's the user that's sh!t, not the product.
My opinion is based off of other Radios in that price range. An example would be I have a Toyota Tacoma 4 Door Sport, it was about $30,000 new and my wife has a BMW 325ci more money then my Toyota :-) I do not expect them to be even close because of the price difference- it is apples to oranges. So when I am giving my opinion on this unit I am comparing it to other Radios in its price range. Many years ago before I went into The Corps I use to install alarms, car Radios, 12volt electronics, I did that for years. Maybe I am tainted because I got to see and play with all types of Radios. So maybe my expectations are high. More so I think it was all the posts on this forum that said this thing is so Great- I expected more. If I am buying a Hyundai, I expect a Hyundai- if I am buying a BMW I expect a BMW.

On another note. Please don't misunderstand my disappointment with this unit with dissatisfaction from where I got it. I bought the unit from Jeff, his service is top notch. He sends emails with updates, the instructions that he sent to put it in were the best I have ever seen. I am very happy with Jeff, I just expected a better Radio. I would always recommend Jeff to anyone that was interested in buying this Radio.
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #982
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by singry View Post
Hey, do you find that copilot does not say exits number?
Not sure didn't take it on the highway yet. I did see that you have to use the default voice if you want to say the street names. I fixed that and now it says the street names. So if you are using "John" or "Lisa" put it back to the default voice and it might say exit numbers.

I am going to look for other offline Nav programs that will work with this unit. The Newest version of CoPilot does not work with it as it requires an IMEI number and the unit does not have one. Your help got me up and running, but we need at least one legitimate working solution for off-line Nav for people that buy the unit in the future.

I looked for iGo as someone suggested, but I did not see it for Android. I am sure I just missed it because of playing with this thing for so long. So if anyone has a link to info on the iGo for android please send it to me.

Last edited by dayusmc; 05-31-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #983
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
dayusmc,

I was busy this holiday weekend with family obligations and have not had time to address your issues. I considered not saying anything as I dont want to start an argument.....especially with a customer.....but for the benefit of everyone on this forum in the future I feel I should address your concerns.

If you want help, you need to be more specific, saying something is flaky doesn't help us to help you. We need details.

And ranting about it calling it a POS for 3 pages before you get it set up correctly doesnt exactly encourage me to be a lot of help either. I know you are frustrated but there is an answer to every question, and I have spend the last year here answering every question conceivable, so it has all been asked, and it has all been answered. I know you dont want to wade through 100 pages, thats fine, I agree, thats why I wrote the FAQ, the Dynavin Info post, and this post. I have edited the original posts as necessary to reflect new info as it comes up, and they are linked together, so you dont have to read 100 pages, you have to read 3.

And for the unit not coming with offline navigation, I specifically wrote about this in the original post and it has been mentioned on almost every page since. I dont know how much more explicit I could have been. But regardless, A bunch of us have working offline nav apps (and now so do you). I know you think they should be included and im sure at some point they will be, but you bought one of the first few dozen units IN THE WORLD, it takes time to find all the right apps, it takes time to figure out app installation issues, to expect it to be a mature product when it is a couple weeks old, frankly is unreasonable. Im actually amazed at how far we have come and how quickly it has happened.

Now maybe it just isnt for you, and thats fine, but as the guys said before me, its exactly what it set out to be, and once set up right it works great. If you did your homework, nothing on it should be a surprise to you, I dont know if I have ever seen a product out there that has been documented in more detail that this one (well maybe the iphone).

ITS NOT PERFECT, but none of us ever said it was. BUT, I have been in the car audio business for 15 years and this is the most interesting, most flexible, most customizable car audio product I have ever seen. But as you said, it doesnt do everything right out of the box, like any android product, it requires some time and effort to get it dialed in for YOUR purposes. On top of the android stuff it is also a stereo/DVD/Digital Media/ipod player as well, and all of those require differing setups and knowledge as well. The learning curve is steep, I get it, thats why im here, thats why I started these posts, thats why I started a business dedicated to this!

Its my goal to have 100% of my customers be happy but of course that isnt always possible, I would love for you to be able to come on here and ask specific questions about the issues you are seeing, then we can answer them, you can get your unit dialed in, and you can join the rest of us having fun experimenting and making our dynavins as good as they can be.

If not, and its just not for you, thats fine, buy something that you are more familiar with, im sure you can sell your dynavin on ebay for more than you paid for it, for every one of you that got a unit, there are 10 more guys out there who want one.
Again, please don't misunderstand my disappointment for this unit with dissatisfaction for your customer service- never once did I say I was unpleased with your. In fact I am surprised that you devote this much time to developing this product. I was very pleased to see how well the instructions were that came with the unit. Here are a lists of some of my concerns...

My biggest concerns:
1. Need a legitimate working off line solution for GPS that can be suggested in the instructions with the unit (I think there might be some out there, I am going to buy some and try them out)
2. Radio side is very dated looking. The interfaces aren't up to par for 2011. The main mode screen is fine. But the ipod interface won't even show album art and is very hard to navigate. The USB side is easier to navigate, but the structure is old style and again doesn't even show album art that is embedded into an mp3. Also you would think that it would have a low level crossover and sub level for the sub out (Maybe it does and I just didn't see it) It should also have High pass filter for interior speakers. I don't mean all those crazy settings that pioneer has or anything like that, but any Radio that has a sub out should have basic High and Low pass filters.
3. The Bluetooth Phone part is pretty bad. The phone book doesn't show up- it could just be my HTC EVO, but in general I think the BT phone is hard to Navigate. Again, nothing fancy, but make it easier.
4. The Android side needs a ROM made for this device, it is not a phone and I think that the ROM they are using is to much phone based. The Xoom is a tablet with a tablet based ROM. Maybe they should start with a tablet ROM and move forward from there.

The Android side of the thing is just a perk, I bought this as a Radio/Nav so I was expecting more on that side. I guess if it was thought as a built in Tablet for your car, it is not bad. But I looked at it as an after-market Radio, so was expecting those after-market Radio features. Maybe they should make the entire thing Android and it might be easier to consecrate efforts like they do with ROOTED phones. I am not sure. Hopefully they will develop the Radio Side and not just the Android side, as you said in one of your post- This is a Radio not a phone.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #984
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
dayusmc when did you buy the device, all the concerns you listed have been addressed and you should have been aware of them before buying this unit IMO. I doubt the radio side will be updated anytime soon as all these chinese units seem to share it.
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #985
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
dayusmc when did you buy the device, all the concerns you listed have been addressed and you should have been aware of them before buying this unit IMO. I doubt the radio side will be updated anytime soon as all these chinese units seem to share it.
I bought it probably over a month ago, Just haven't had the time to put it in until this weekend. My SoundStream double din is a $300 cheap Chinese Radio, but has a pretty good UI. I was expecting something along those lines. Hope they do work on that half as first and foremost this is a Double Din Radio
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #986
RTRxMike

My Ride: 2000 328i
I am following this unit, and am really wanting to get my hands on one soon. I have read some concerns, but still want to test this unit out myself.

I have tried posting a link to this on xda-developers (if you have a rooted Android phone, you have probably visited this website). Unfortunately I have only posted once over there thanking the developer of the ROM I am using on my Eris, and therefore cannot post links just yet.

Anyway, if anyone has an account over there, it might be a good idea to show the developers at the forums over there this thread and see if any are willing to take a look into creating a ROM for the unit that maximizes the ease of use in a vehicle. They can do some amazing things over there.

I will continue posting over there until I reach my 10 post max (have to wait 5 minutes between posts at first, haha) so I can see if anyone over there is aware of this unit or if anyone wants to/can help develop it further.
RTRxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #987
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRxMike View Post
I am following this unit, and am really wanting to get my hands on one soon. I have read some concerns, but still want to test this unit out myself.

I have tried posting a link to this on xda-developers (if you have a rooted Android phone, you have probably visited this website). Unfortunately I have only posted once over there thanking the developer of the ROM I am using on my Eris, and therefore cannot post links just yet.

Anyway, if anyone has an account over there, it might be a good idea to show the developers at the forums over there this thread and see if any are willing to take a look into creating a ROM for the unit that maximizes the ease of use in a vehicle. They can do some amazing things over there.

I will continue posting over there until I reach my 10 post max (have to wait 5 minutes between posts at first, haha) so I can see if anyone over there is aware of this unit or if anyone wants to/can help develop it further.
If one of those guys makes a custom ROM for this thing, I am sure the Android side will be nice. To bad they couldn't fix the Radio side.
One thing is for sure, this thing looks great in the car. It looks like it came from the factory- That is why I bought it.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #988
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRxMike View Post

Go back a few pages, "Rob" is already on it.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #989
RTRxMike

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Go back a few pages, "Rob" is already on it.
Awesome, missed that. I can't wait to see what some Android developers can do with the unit!
RTRxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #990
mc4ren

My Ride: E46 320D
I just enphsize the GPS accuracy and number of locked satellites. My GPS is in the rear tray, in the same place as the original GPS. The GPS tool constantly shows several strong signals from satellites, but only uses 2, 3 or 4 as locked (even at standstill). Just to remind the Dyanvin guys to check it and fine tune if they can...
mc4ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #991
dayusmc

CoPilots response

This is the response that I got from CoPilot about it not working without an IMEI. I am afraid to try it because I finally got it working. But maybe this CoPilot will solve the Offline GPS problem... Not Sure. Hope this info helps someone.

"For the unit that does not have an IMEI number you can purchase the generic Copilot from our webstore. However, your device will need to be able to install 3rd party apps. This is a setting that can be toggled on/off in your settings."
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #992
J&T Distributing

I think I have something that will fix the IMEI issue you are seeing.....give me a day or two.....
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #993
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
with a simple google search last night i found the android iGo, im going to try to install today

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #994
J&T Distributing

I havent had time to mess with igo but I sure would love to see it running on android.....i got used to it on my dynaivns for the last year....
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #995
opey

ok i got iGo 8.4 800x480 installed, but i cant get a hold of the maps, all the links i find are dead. gonna keep looking. only problem i noticed was that the program didnt save my settings when i closed it

edit: heres a thread with all the maps, links good so far. i didnt use the iGo primo program from that link though, dont think thats for android. http://gpsunderground.com/forum/igo-...html#post64967

IR/IR 6 speed

Last edited by opey; 05-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #996
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
ok i got iGo 8.4 800x480 installed, but i cant get a hold of the maps, all the links i find are dead. gonna keep looking. only problem i noticed was that the program didnt save my settings when i closed it

edit: heres a thread with all the maps, links good so far. i didnt use the iGo primo program from that link though, dont think thats for android. http://gpsunderground.com/forum/igo-...html#post64967
Yeah that maps link is for WinCE so no good for Android
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #997
johndddd

My Ride: 02 m-3
anyone running SLINGBOX

Is there anyone running SLINGBOX app from the ANDROID market place? If so are you on the Verizon 3g network and or have an Iphone 4.
johndddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #998
opey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Yeah that maps link is for WinCE so no good for Android
the maps i believe are interchangeable, but not the program files. could be wrong tho. but i hope not because ive wasted an hour already downloading the first 3 parts

IR/IR 6 speed
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #999
johndddd

My Ride: 02 m-3
Tampabay Area

Anyone on this fourm live in the Tampabay/ St. Pete Beach area and have the Android system. I would like to see the unit working.........Thanks
johndddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #1000
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
...Any one have their CD head unit that they want to sell?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote