E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
andydavey

My Ride: 328CI
Brake fluid change indicator reset

I've just changed my brake fluid and want to reset the indicator that comes up on the dash (the little clock symbol).

I tried following the instructions from here:

Quote:
1. Ignition key to position 0 (off)
2. Hold trip meter button (the left button)
3. Ignition key to position 1. The display will show: "test 1"
4. Keep holding the trip meter button until the the display shows: "reset inspection" or "reset oilservice"
5. Release the button
6. Press and release the tip meter buton once. The Display will show the square clock symbol and the month the fluid change is overdue on. I can't remember if the date format was mm.yy or yy.mm
7. Press and hold the trip meter button until the display is showing a flashing "reset". Then release the button. "Reset" will keep flashing.
8. Presss and release the trip meter button once. The display will show the square clock symbol and the month for the next fluid change in 2 years time in the format mm.yy or yy.mm
9. Press and hold the trip meter until "End" is displayed
10. Let go of the button and turn ignition to 0 (off). The clock symbol will not show again until the next fluid chnage is due
However, step 4 never happens. I get "test 1" shown in the display, then keeping it held just makes it go back to the normal odometer/trip counter, then back to "test 1", then the normal odometer/trip counter and so on.

Has anyone successfully managed to do this? From what I gather, steps 1-5 should be the same as resetting the inspection/oil service if anyone has done that. Car is a 1999 E46 328 if it makes any difference.

Cheers,

Andy
andydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
andydavey

My Ride: 328CI
Just to clear this up - the procedure only works on cars newer than 2000. I had to get it cleared using diagnostics in the end.
andydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
PTPMotorsports

My Ride: 330Ci 2001
Mine is a '01 330Ci and get the same issue, "test 1" shown in the display, then keeping it held just makes it go back to the normal odometer/trip counter

Any advice?

Thanks
PTPMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
PTPMotorsports

With a little time waitting for someone I tryed the procedure again and it worked.... My problem was with the oil change, don't know about the brake fluid.

Let me check and I'll get back to you
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
alvocado

My Ride: 2002 330CIC Sport
Brake fluid changes are time based, not mileage based. The recommended change interval is every 24 mos. since brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture.
alvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
OR use my vid

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydavey View Post
I've just changed my brake fluid and want to reset the indicator
We have a brake fluid indicator?

I think you may just need to top up the fluid
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
By the "little clock signal" are you sure you don't mean the brake pad sensor indicator? If you don't put in a new sensor then the light will stay illuminated, there is no ignition trick to get that light to turn off.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
bdrbmw

My Ride: 2002 330i
I just had this brake pad light come on and it is persistent. I have new pads and know that is not the problem. Are there sensors on each wheel? Is it a reasonable DIY to replace them? Your experience appreciated.
bdrbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
PTPMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrbmw View Post
I just had this brake pad light come on and it is persistent. I have new pads and know that is not the problem. Are there sensors on each wheel? Is it a reasonable DIY to replace them? Your experience appreciated.
In my '01 330Ci theres one in the driver side front and the other in the passenger side back.

Mine had but they looked too old, one of them even without the copper ring...

My recomendation its to change them everytime you change pads.