E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
kimodo

My Ride: Sportwagon
cooling system overhaul, replace radiator as well?

I'm at 100,000 and getting ready to do cooling system overhaul. From your experiences should I replace the radiator since i'm going to have everything apart? I don't want to replace the radiator, if it is a quality part.. that isn't susceptible to premature failure. Replacing radiator @100k cheap insurance or pissing away $, Advice?
kimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
No, radiator is not necessary unless it's leaking.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
rollingstone

My Ride: 330ci
I replaced my at 100K since I had everything torn apart. It's a simple job and good insurance for $100. Old radiator can start leaking at anytime.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
new oem radiator is 100 bucks?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

$140 at autohausaz.com
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I replaced my radiator at 116K when I did my cooling system overhaul. I don't recall the cost off the top of my head. But I primarily did it for peace of mind. Plus I was still spending just about the same amount in parts it would have cost me to just have the thermostat replaced at the dealer. Good luck.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
No, radiator is not necessary unless it's leaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
I replaced my at 100K since I had everything torn apart. It's a simple job and good insurance for $100. Old radiator can start leaking at anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
I replaced my radiator at 116K when I did my cooling system overhaul. I don't recall the cost off the top of my head. But I primarily did it for peace of mind. Plus I was still spending just about the same amount in parts it would have cost me to just have the thermostat replaced at the dealer. Good luck.
+1 bought for 150 behr not needed but good peace of mind
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Mine started leaking at something like 190K miles and I replaced it maybe 2 months later after I decided it wasn't healing itself. It failed slowly on me...a leak between plastic and aluminum where they're crimped together. Not sure they don't explode, but don't recall hearing of one do that...that's what the ET is for!

YMMV, of course, but I did get ample warning and just needed to add maybe a few ounces/week until the rate of loss increased and I replaced it...as Jake said, for $140.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
miyata

My Ride: 2005 330 XI
I kept the old one.
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
I wouldn't replace it as a matter of maintenance. Maybe at 200k, but not 100k.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
e46frvr

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
Yeah no kidding. Thermostat housing + antifreeze = 500+ at dealer! (100 ish for part and 400+ for labor)

For all those recommending not to do radiator, does that mean radiator is not the weak link and overhaul refers mainly to water pump?

If so, why even replace pipes? Doesnt it make sense to just replace water pump and deal with stuff as it breaks? Just wondering...

Last edited by e46frvr; 06-07-2011 at 05:13 PM.
e46frvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46frvr View Post
Yeah no kidding. Thermostat housing + antifreeze = 500+ at dealer!

For all those recommending not to do radiator, does that mean radiator is not the weak link and overhaul refers mainly to water pump?

If so, why even replace pipes? Doesnt it make sense to just replace water pump and deal with stuff as it breaks? Just wondering...
Well think about it, the radiator is pretty much all metal so it can withstand the heat and coolant running through it. My radiator hoses at 90k all had bad bubbling on the inside of them. So it would make sense to change those rubber/plastic parts. Water pump has to be done because bearings can fail at any point and the expansion tank is known to blow up at any given second.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
OP,
Overall, the radiator unit itself holds up pretty well under normal daily driving, even at 100K.
And, Especially in San Diego's beach weather.

Unless there is some damage ie: rocks or known leaks... you would be wasting money. Also, the time it takes to get to the radiator later on (especially after you done a cooling system refresh) will be a lot quicker (due to said experience) So, I would let it be. Our radiators can last up to 180+K, like Dmax stated.

Mine's currently at 117K in Texas Heat.

Just make sure you replace Everything else relating to the cooling system.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 06-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
e46frvr

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Well think about it, the radiator is pretty much all metal so it can withstand the heat and coolant running through it. My radiator hoses at 90k all had bad bubbling on the inside of them. So it would make sense to change those rubber/plastic parts. Water pump has to be done because bearings can fail at any point and the expansion tank is known to blow up at any given second.
Thanks, well said and good to know.
(I guess lay off the radiator on mine for a while)
e46frvr is offline   Reply With Quote