E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
AlphaBimmerCali

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Ripping me off?

What's good fellow enthusiasts!!

Alright so my 2002 325xi with 68k miles has had a rattle for around 3 months now.

Long story short: I took my car in and the mechanics said they didn't know what it was because they had already checked spark plugs, coils, etc. So they wanted to add a tracker chip to my car to track the engine... I took the tracker back because I thought they were playing with me. When I went back they said it could be the ECU and it would be $2,000 - $3,000 for a new one + to reprogram it.

My problem: It happens every 2-4 weeks, the SES light pops up and my car starts to rumble (move violently - I'm shaking on the seat practically) ... When I drive the rumble continues and the gears shift very weird (I have an auto) I lightly press on the gas, and it doesn't shift till 5-6k rpm, and when it does its a real sudden jerk. What's weird is when I turn the car off after it starts shaking, and turn it back on the car is fine most often... Also, the rattle is just random and happens on cold days or hot days.. It can happen two days in a row, or even once a month.. Just happens randomly.

I took the car to another mechanic and he said it was the CCV without even taking a look, just by reading the codes... Maybe he's experienced or is trying to bank some quick cash and replace a part that isn't needed..?

The codes that show are just Random Misfires, nothing to lead exactly to the problem.

Exact Codes:

P1345
P0313
P0300
P0128
P1348
P0313
P0300

P0300/P0313 appear twice. Don't know if that changes anything.

Thanks and all help is appreciated!

Last edited by AlphaBimmerCali; 06-07-2011 at 02:40 PM.
AlphaBimmerCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
If you Don't have a trusted mechanic to go to, dealer is the only way. You can pay for the diagnostic only.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
AlphaBimmerCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
If you Don't have a trusted mechanic to go to, dealer is the only way. You can pay for the diagnostic only.
Do you know how much BMW charges for this, and will they just pull codes or find the exact problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
this is the only intance where i would recommend having a dealership chcek it out
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
what kind if coils do you have???? there was a recall on those, dont know much about it
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
We will only be guessing the cause without knowing what codes caused your SES light to go on. Get your codes read and post the results here.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBimmerCali View Post
Do you know how much BMW charges for this, and will they just pull codes or find the exact problem?

Thanks for the help!
The dealer will probably charge you 1hr labor. They may be able to retrieve more BMW specific codes and hopefully narrow down the issue. Code results may vary depending on the reader that was used in the past. Dealer could find same problem or different... you never know.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
ddombrowski

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Send a message via AIM to ddombrowski
What are the codes? If you're getting misfire codes, I'd check to see if you have the bad batch of coils that have been recalled and maybe replace the spark plugs.

If you're getting lean codes, I'd check all the normal culprits - ICV cleaning, throttle body intake boot tears, CCV replacement.

Most of the items I've listed will fail at one point or another in the cars life, so replacing it early to try to solve your idling problem isn't the worst waste of money. Well, its better than spending 2k on an ECU reflash. Thats just.....silly.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Give us the codes at least. That mechanic is full of crap.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
lvlikeWho

My Ride: 330ci
where in cali are you located?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
AlphaBimmerCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Give us the codes at least. That mechanic is full of crap.
Okay, just pulled the codes:

P1345
P0313
P0300
P0128
P1348
P0313
P0300

P0300/P0313 appear twice. Don't know if that changes anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlikeWho View Post
where in cali are you located?
in norcal
Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P0313 Misfire Detected With Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0128 168 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
P1348 Misfire During Start Cylinder 4

First thing I would do is get gas, you were probably running low. Get CRC MAF cleaner and spray the maf, make sure it DRIES. Then you can pull the plugs and see if they are okay and test the coils.

and lastly the thermostat is probably on its way out.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Move coils around and see if the codes change, do what solid said.. I had the same codes and it was oxygen sensors, a friend had the same codes it was fuel injectors.. We both had the same symptoms, I believe I had 4 as well and if I remember it was pre cat sensors for me.. But eliminate small things first like solid stated above..
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
AlphaBimmerCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P0313 Misfire Detected With Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0128 168 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
P1348 Misfire During Start Cylinder 4

First thing I would do is get gas, you were probably running low. Get CRC MAF cleaner and spray the maf, make sure it DRIES. Then you can pull the plugs and see if they are okay and test the coils.

and lastly the thermostat is probably on its way out.
Alright, thanks, that'll be my weekend project! The mechanics had already checked my spark plugs and coils for $150 in their whole inspection but I'll do it myself.

Also, the rattling happens when I have a full tank at times.

It might be because I pulled the codes while the car was off, but I doubt turning the car on to connect the OBDII scanner makes a difference in the code readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Move coils around and see if the codes change, do what solid said.. I had the same codes and it was oxygen sensors, a friend had the same codes it was fuel injectors.. We both had the same symptoms, I believe I had 4 as well and if I remember it was pre cat sensors for me.. But eliminate small things first like solid stated above..
Thanks for the additional help. I'll keep that in mind!