DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Rating:||Display Modes|
|06-09-2011, 12:20 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2008
My Ride: 2002 330i
DIY: Aux/mechanical fan to electric fan swap
All you need is is this:
floor jack and one jack stand
I think Torx 20 head
8mm socket or 8mm wrench
fan clutch tools
OEM electric fan: 17117561757
Expanding rivets: 51718229003 (4)
51118174185 (as many as your break)
51471919209 (as many as your break)
- Jack up one side of car (I did the drivers side) and put one jack on the metal plate
- Remove the 8mm bolts holding bumper to the fender liners
- Take out the reinforcement bolts with 9mm socket/ratchet/extension
- Slide bumper out (unclip wiring for fogs and horn)
- Take out the top air intake
- The center duct is held by four pop in screws
- Aux fan is held by four 13mm nuts, take them out
- Disconnect the aux fan by the fan shroud in the engine bay
- Slide the fan out
- Put the center duct back in and top air intake
- Put the front bumper back on in reverse order (slide in, put in the two reinforcement bar bolts and the assorted bolts to the liners.
- Next you have to take the mechanical fan out
- Pop out the fan control unit on the shroud and the other wiring and put them to the side
- Take out the 1 torx screw on the passenger side top and loosen up the fan shroud
- Use the fan clutch tool to loosen the bolt and take out the assembly
- Take your electric fan and slide it against the radiator and screw in the torx screw
- Plug the electric fan to the connector where the aux fan was plugged into
- Place back the control unit and the other wiring to the electric fan shroud
Viola, you're done.
I will make a DIY video later.
Last edited by Solidjake; 08-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
|Ads by Google|
Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
|aux, auxiliary, behr, bosch, bumper, clutch, damage, electric, engine, explode, fan, hood, mechanical, mount, mounts, removal, swap|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|