E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #281
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
What kind of oil have you been using? It looks great. My engine block internals looked a bit dark brown and red but still no sludge.

I use M1 0w40 now. Don't know what the PO for the last 30k used.
That might actually be a good color, Genuity.

I forget who I read this from, but probably in 'my' oil thread (M1 5w/30) where I learned that synthetic forms a film that acts to coat and protect engine...but only forms this film after many thousands of miles. If you change too early, don't think you'll get this benefit.

I'm considering upping my oil change interval to 30K miles, as I've read here is the way to go...from a highly unreliable source... (don't you dare do that unless you're a moron...of the total fn kind! ).

I've got m1 0/40 now...but am going to be looking for another soon...I know there's a 5/40 that's approved...maybe Elf...maybe Agip...but will figure it out when the time comes. I'm sure I'll take a slight hit on mileage, but I'm also hoping for a bump in mileage too (translation: worse mpg but for more overall miles)!

@2003 325i...thanks for the props, but I was just passing on what I learned from someone else...too many here for me to thank or remember who taught me what...except, I'll always remember Nathan Carter for teaching me what torque is...and wish I'd see his posts more...haven't heard from him in a while! Nathan...where you at?)

Doug

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #282
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Toyota engine code correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
@2003 325i...thanks for the props, but I was just passing on what I learned from someone else...too many here for me to thank or remember who taught me what...except, I'll always remember Nathan Carter for teaching me what torque is...and wish I'd see his posts more...haven't heard from him in a while! Nathan...where you at?)
Nathan Carter's home is at bimmerforums.

About the oil change, I have done over 14k with over 1 year with Amsoil 0w30 (plus one of their Ea filters) on a Toyota 2RZ-FE 2.4L v4, and checked for sludge but saw 0. I guess it helps to high rev it all the time, but I did have it analyzed by BSL and they said it looks fine and they are not surprised by the time on the oil.

Granted, I hear the oil filters for the bimmers tends to disintegrate after 7k and with how finicky these engines and DMEs are, I'll just change it about every 7k.

I changed my oil recently with just 6k on it and found some super fine granite like granular stuff on my magnetic oil pan bolt. BLS thinks I should do the next change after 8k. I forgot to mention this to them that I had a magnetic oil pan bolt and that I found some stuff on it. Before, I was running with a regular bolt, albeit not for that long before the 7 month maintenance overhaul.

Anyone else running with a magnetic oil pan bolt and finding granular crap on it at every change? If this is what I see on the magnetic oil pan bolt, I wonder how much of it is stuck inside the oil filter? Engine purrs like a kitten and acts fine, even though it's rounding 10 years.

Last edited by genuity; 10-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #283
jwilly

My Ride: E46 330Ci E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
What kind of oil have you been using? It looks great. My engine block internals looked a bit dark brown and red but still no sludge.

I use M1 0w40 now. Don't know what the PO for the last 30k used.
Mobil 1 5w20 in the beginning and switched to 5w30 after the mileage starting to add up. Always changed at 5000 mile intervals.

Joel
jwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #284
14me2

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Whoa nice! That's what I wanna find when I do mine. 83,000 miles on her.... Still get excited walking up to my car in the parking lot. Gonna do this one VERY soon....

Awesome inital write-up, and I'm enjoying this thread.
14me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #285
R1R N1GHTMARE
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '04 ZHP 330i
Did mine today. She's an '04 ZHP with 167,000 miles. Pretty clean I thought.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #286
325ragtop

My Ride: 2001 325ciC
Excellent DIY... this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks man!
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #287
livnlow

My Ride: 01 325Ci
The kit on Bavauto.com doesn't come with the bolt seals so you have to add on $15 for a total of $44.95. Does the kit for $31.74 on trademotion.com come with these? I know someone posted a pic of what they received from I believe trademotion and it had a whole bunch of new seals, fasteners and so on but don't know if they bought all of those items seperately.

Thanks
livnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #288
plmbst

My Ride: '03 325 xit
This might help

I used a heat gun to soften the old gasket to make removal easier. Very few broken chips.
plmbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #289
2001BlackOnTan

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
So pleased to see this DIY and thread -- thanks to all who contributed wisdom. I've had a burning oil smell for a couple weeks and discovered today that it's likely the VCG as oil has run down all over what I think is the A/C pump, etc. and ultimately onto the floor under the car. I'll be ordering parts soon to do the VCG at a minimum.

The car is an '01 with 65K on it so not entirely sure about doing the Vanos -- I wish the weather was a bit nicer so I'd be more inclined so spend extra time with the car taken apart -- just did my coolant bottle in an unheated garage (around 50 degrees with the door down and the outside temp in the 20s) and the misery index was definitely elevated.

Last edited by 2001BlackOnTan; 01-29-2011 at 04:45 PM.
2001BlackOnTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #290
exobrute

My Ride: 325i
Did mine today thanks to this diy. Went very smoothly. Engine looked very clean but I was amazed at the old gasket, it was insane how brittle rubber can turn into, it was like plastic all the way around... Took a little over 2 hours but it was not very difficult besides all the damn bolts to remove. Thanks again
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #291
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1R N1GHTMARE View Post
Did mine today. She's an '04 ZHP with 167,000 miles. Pretty clean I thought.
Looks great for 167K !!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #292
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Thank you for posting this!

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #293
jbost002

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Did this today...I can say that running your car first for about 10-15 minutes is a very good idea. I went to the local BMW shop and bought the parts, then came back home. By the time I had assembled all of my tools and disassembled the engine parts, the valve cover was cool to the touch. The gasket just slid out, 100% solid. Took 15 seconds. 15 minutes later, after cooled, the gasket was plastic and almost crumbled in my hands.

MY suggestion is run your car first for a bit!!

Read about my "pure" e46 here.
Flickr pic set

WTB: 18" or 19" CSL replica wheels including tires - PM ME!!
jbost002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #294
2001BlackOnTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
Okay, hold on a minute. Isn't that what oil looks like when you have a blown head gasket? Preliminary research tells me it is. Also, I see no reason for water vapor (let alone that much of it) to be inside your valve train in the first place, so even if it's cold and you drive it short distances you shouldn't have that kind of condensation build up...remember, water vapor has to be there in the first place.

Definitely check your head gasket, dude. After 140k my valve cover looked a little sludgey, but it was all very dark. I should also point out that there is no point spending lots of time cleaning that stuff off...it's just going to get covered again anyway, and it's not doing any harm as long as it's chilling there on the plastic. I like to clean just about everything, but with a little old crud like that on a part like a valve cover, it's more risk than it's worth to clean a little bit, and more trouble than it's worth to clean it all the way.

I'd be willing to bet on it though: I think you need a new head gasket.
The Winter, 2011 issue of Bavarian Autosport's "Fast Times" newsletter arrived yesterday, and it has a lengthy FAQ discussing replacing crankcase ventilation system parts. In several pictures, there is tan oil sludge running out of the various hoses attached to the engine once they're disconnected. It's just like what people are finding here. The Bavarian Auto article doesn't mention anything about the tan sludge being a source of concern; they just mention the importance of getting it all cleaned out of the hoses and valves. And, like some people have suggested here, they just attribute it to condensation. I suspect Bavarian Auto would let people know if that kind of sludge was cause for concern about leaking head gaskets, etc., (translation: I'm sure they'd like to sell people head gasket repair kits) but they're very matter-of-fact about the whole business. www.bavauto.com
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #295
2001BlackOnTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbost002 View Post
Did this today...I can say that running your car first for about 10-15 minutes is a very good idea. I went to the local BMW shop and bought the parts, then came back home. By the time I had assembled all of my tools and disassembled the engine parts, the valve cover was cool to the touch. The gasket just slid out, 100% solid. Took 15 seconds. 15 minutes later, after cooled, the gasket was plastic and almost crumbled in my hands.

MY suggestion is run your car first for a bit!!
There's often no substitute for working on a warm engine vs. a cold one. Oil changes are an obvious example, but changing O2 sensors, removing gaskets, etc. are other repairs where it can be much easier to loosen and remove warm parts rather than cold ones.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #296
SF323Ci

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I highly recommend you have at least one spare Cylinder Head Stud Bolt on hand (p/n 11 12 1 718 856 on my car, might be different for later models).

These snap at pretty low torque (6ft lbs?) when they're old, and even if you only break one you're pretty much up the creek. Just guess how I found this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11121718856.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	405321  
SF323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #297
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF323Ci View Post
I highly recommend you have at least one spare Cylinder Head Stud Bolt on hand (p/n 11 12 1 718 856 on my car, might be different for later models).

These snap at pretty low torque (6ft lbs?) when they're old, and even if you only break one you're pretty much up the creek. Just guess how I found this out.
same thing happened to me because of the STUPID BENTLEY manual gave conflicting torque spec. In one section it said "18ft/lbs" (this section was what I happened to read) and in other section it said 8ft/lbs.

thank god my local dealer had the studs ($0.32) so I ordered some.

here are my pix:

flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #298
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Hi guys,

This is such a great DIY.

How long did this take most people to do this?

Thanks

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #299
SF323Ci

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Took two total noobs being extra careful about 8 hours, including lunch, two trips to the hardware store, a trip to the dealership, and fishing out the negative terminal retaining bolt out from under the battery..
We could probably do it again in two hours or less.
SF323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #300
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksath View Post
Hi guys,

This is such a great DIY.

How long did this take most people to do this?

Thanks
A day if you are going at a relaxing pace. If you know what you are doing and have a nice tooling setup, less than 20 minutes could probably be done.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote