E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
handpainted

My Ride: 03 325i e46
2003 e46 engine mounts.

So I'm needing to replace my engine mounts from their oem's. I'm wondering if the urethane engine mounts are better than the oem hardened rubber mounts.
What I'm looking for is something that will reduce vibration and prolong other effected components with in the same system.

Any suggestions or advice. Right now I'm thinking if i buy oem hardened rubber mounts that I'll regret that I hadn't installed the urethane mounts.

-matt
handpainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Urethane engine mounts will only increase vibration. The stock fluid filled rubber engine mounts are the best at reducing vibration so you'll want to stick with stock. If you don't have an M and want something slightly stiffer with minimal increase in NVH, you could go with the stock mounts from the M3.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
^

+1

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
M3 mounts make a great upgrade and they're economical.

I noticed a tad more vibration, but it felt like I got more feedback from the car. I really like them.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Get direct OEM stock replacements. You wont be disappointed.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
I agree with the recommendations to go with stock m3 motor mounts. I did this myself in January, and I am very pleased so far. They helped balance out my upgraded transmission mounts. But, even if I didn't do the transmission mounts I would have gone with the m3 mounts. Urethane motor mounts will transfer a ton of vibration to the cabin. They are really only for if your car is purpose built for the track or autocrossing.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
handpainted

Very cool, well I think then I'll be going with the M3 Mounts for my 325i. Any advice with rear differential mounts?? I like the idea of urethane being how its helped out so much with my trailing arms, front lower control arms, and with my sway bar. (helped in the way of reduction of noise and an increase of the nice ride.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
Go with the Meyle hd rear diff mount. I am not sure about subframe mounts. I don't have any experience with solid ones and haven't done that much research on them yet.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
I_Miss_My_///M

My Ride: 325i-RIP, '03 330Ci
I agree with everyone on going with OEM M3 mounts, but with a slight difference; get e9x M3 mounts. I just installed them in my 330Ci lastnight, and really like the improvement.
I_Miss_My_///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
handpainted

Well I'm not able to find Differential mounts from "meyle" for my car (2003 325i m54)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by handpainted View Post
Well I'm not able to find Differential mounts from "meyle" for my car (2003 325i m54)
http://store.bimmerworld.com/meyle-h...unt-p1239.aspx

The rear mount is the only one which normally fails.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Miss_My_///M View Post
I agree with everyone on going with OEM M3 mounts, but with a slight difference; get e9x M3 mounts. I just installed them in my 330Ci lastnight, and really like the improvement.
What's the difference? ^

I didn't notice a difference going from stock to E46 M3 mounts, except that the engine sat higher up.

+1 on the Meyle rear diff bushing - it's solid rubber instead of fluid-filled. The only difference I noticed was no more thump on hard decel. (the stock one was blown)

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 06-13-2011 at 09:38 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
I_Miss_My_///M

My Ride: 325i-RIP, '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
What's the difference? ^

I didn't notice a different going from stock to E46 M3 mounts, except that the engine sat higher up.

+1 on the Meyle rear diff bushing - it's solid rubber instead of fluid-filled. The only difference I noticed was no more thump on hard decel.
Well, considering my stock mounts had 127,313 miles on them, I can feel a difference. And the e9x M3 mount is a different part number than the e46 M3, so I'm guessing the e9x mount is a bit more durable since it has 414hp to hold.

Regardless, either M3 mounts will be a step up from the stock M54 mounts, and perfectly capable of handling your m54b25 OP.
I_Miss_My_///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
handpainted

Nice lol
but yes thank you for the link, I'll be for sure replacing them in the month.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
+1 on the e9x M3 mounts. I notice a lot more feedback but it could also be since my mounts were split in 2.
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #16
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
E46 M3 or E9x M3 mounts depending on which ones cost less as either will do the job just fine on your particular car.

BMW also makes performance mounts which they call Gruppe N mounts. They are solid rubber (NOT urethane) and are supposed to be the absolute perfect mounts for our cars but they cost an arm and a leg, literally. Some aftermarket companies have duplicated the Gruppe N mounts for a fraction of a cost and they do the same thing.

Poly engine mounts arent necessary for a daily driver, but some people like them.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
E46 M3 or E9x M3 mounts depending on which ones cost less as either will do the job just fine on your particular car.

BMW also makes performance mounts which they call Gruppe N mounts. They are solid rubber (NOT urethane) and are supposed to be the absolute perfect mounts for our cars but they cost an arm and a leg, literally. Some aftermarket companies have duplicated the Gruppe N mounts for a fraction of a cost and they do the same thing.

Poly engine mounts arent necessary for a daily driver, but some people like them.
I run the Bimmerworld mounts which are essentially the Group N mounts. Great mounts but an expensive bit of overkill for a 325. For those wanting the ultimate in isolation, I'd still stick with stock - these do transmit a fair bit of NVH, especially at startup. I run them to handle the extra torque produced by my TS SC'er and I actually like the extra little bit of noise and vibration they transmit (unlike poly motor mounts which drove me crazy).
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I run the Bimmerworld mounts which are essentially the Group N mounts. Great mounts but an expensive bit of overkill for a 325. For those wanting the ultimate in isolation, I'd still stick with stock - these do transmit a fair bit of NVH, especially at startup. I run them to handle the extra torque produced by my TS SC'er and I actually like the extra little bit of noise and vibration they transmit (unlike poly motor mounts which drove me crazy).
Any idea how the Bimmerworld mounts compare to either of the M3 mounts?

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Any idea how the Bimmerworld mounts compare to either of the M3 mounts?
As far as I know, the M3 mounts are still fluid filled. The Bimmerworld and Group N mounts are solid rubber. Turner claims the Group N mounts are 30% stiffer but don't indicate what this is relative to. I'm sure the BW mounts are in the same ball park as far as stiffness. I can tell you that my car literally jumps to life when started and there is more noise and vibration transmitted than is generally found acceptable on any new BMW (kind of reminds me of an exhaust upgrade). I've haven't run either of the M3 mounts in my car but I think it's safe to say these motorsport mounts are significantly stiffer than anything produced by BMW for street use.

FWIW, I have some compression resistance data for a couple of different stock mounts that was provided to me by a manufacturer so I'd rather not post up the graph but the older M3 mounts look to be roughly 10% stiffer than the 330 mounts (the variation isn't 100% linear).
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
handpainted

I'm excited to get the Bimmerworld Trans mounts, and the m3 engine mounts that's for sure! I'm hoping for some decent weather to get some great shots of my car to post. "Blocked Out" your car is looking very nice! I'm looking at getting a new hood and m3 style front bumper and rear bumper later. But I'd like to increase my hp beforehand.
Any good suggestions on increasing hp for my 325i? I had a friend tell me to just drop a m3 motor in.