E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #761
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
^Nice pics!

Been raining hard here the past week so I wasn't able to get much saddle time. Been busy going around shops for parts though. Just got this today. It's for a new build I'm doing. A Voodoo ti 29er hardtail. Planning to race a bit for fun.

It's a Crank Bros 29er wheelset shown here with a King headset and a carbon seatpost

The frame will take a little over a month to get here from the US.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 06-10-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #762
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Ordered my 2011 Specialized Hardrock sport disc today! Told myself not to spend a ton of money because I'm not sure if I'll actually end up having time to ride it regularly while I open my karting track. If I do get back into it full swing, I'll sell this one and buy something nice during the off season. Ordered some cheap shimano pedals to go with it for now.

What's funny is the major bike dealer in Cincy, pretty much the only Specialized dealer, didnt have much in stock that I wanted. It's so nice here today that I probably would have stepped out of my budget just so I could ride this afternoon, but they didn't even have a basic Rockhopper or Rockhopper Comp in my size available. Oh well, not too long of a wait. Will post videos of me breaking myself when it comes in!

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #763
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Just went through this whole thread. It seems a good price point to start at is $400 for a noob like me? Something like a trek 3700 Disc.? I don't really know anything about this other than I used to ride Gt Dyno's and loved to make ramps for those bad boys when I was younger (~10yrs ago). I'm 5'5" what do you guys recommend for a noob looking to do a little bit of beach riding and street riding as well as trail riding in the desert and mountains which i'll do most of.

So where do I start?

TIA

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #764
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
^People are quick to say you need disk brakes and suspension and this and that, but I learned on a rigid steel frame mountain bike from the 80's and I think it makes you a much better rider. Once you have exceeded the limits of the bike and understand them more you can decide whether you want to spend more on a full suspension bike or road bike or whatever. I still enjoy that old bike because it's efficient on the street and dirt and always a fun challenge.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #765
Breyton-BMW

A hardtail is good enough for the way most people ride. I haven't used my full suspension bike in 6 months. Loving my hardtail 29er with rigid fork. That thing climbs like a mountain goat. I also use my full rigid steel single speed bike for rides around the city and some light trails. The only problem i see with cantilever brakes are they are pretty much useless when they become wet unlike discs be it mechanical or hydraulic.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #766
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
If you guys dont know already, I'd advise you to watch the UCI DownHill world cup that streams live from this site in good quality...... the first 3 have ben insane!!! the tracks are ridiculous! USA rider Aaron Gwin is leading right now.... he's an animal... I think Athertons second.

you can stream live and watch replays from this site...

http://freecaster.tv/

- Albert Einstein
- Chad

Last edited by Stanc3; 06-15-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #767
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
^People are quick to say you need disk brakes and suspension and this and that, but I learned on a rigid steel frame mountain bike from the 80's and I think it makes you a much better rider. Once you have exceeded the limits of the bike and understand them more you can decide whether you want to spend more on a full suspension bike or road bike or whatever. I still enjoy that old bike because it's efficient on the street and dirt and always a fun challenge.
I guess you never rode in rain/mud with normal v brakes before, otherwise you would recommend disc brakes to everyone and their moms.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #768
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_3 View Post
Just went through this whole thread. It seems a good price point to start at is $400 for a noob like me? Something like a trek 3700 Disc.? I don't really know anything about this other than I used to ride Gt Dyno's and loved to make ramps for those bad boys when I was younger (~10yrs ago). I'm 5'5" what do you guys recommend for a noob looking to do a little bit of beach riding and street riding as well as trail riding in the desert and mountains which i'll do most of.

So where do I start?

TIA
Good job on reading the entire thread, you're on the right path...I'd say the first place to start is your nearest bike shop.

Buying a bike is much like buying a suit, it's all about fit and feel....go have fun test riding as many bikes as you can, if the 3700 is in your price range, then go for it
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #769
Ghostie

Damn Breyton, you build more bikes than anyone I know...seriously, jealous

I love those Crank Bros wheels, I saw them on 26ers last year when they first released them....didn't know they made a 29 version
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #770
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post

I guess you never rode in rain/mud with normal v brakes before, otherwise you would recommend disc brakes to everyone and their moms.
But it's all true. It does make you a better rider and you don't really need dics, v-brakes with ceramic rims are very (disc-like) powerful. Not so much in mud, yes.
Would I wanna go back to v-brakes, no, but do I need discs, no.

I also learned to ride in the 80s, rigid and not even v-brakes...cantilevers, lol!
And I went 54mph down the mountains...no suspension, no discs.

dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #771
Ghostie

Disc brakes don't neccesarily generate more stopping power than Vs....their main advantage is the increased lever modulation (i.e better braking control, which can help you brake harder, but also when needed, it can also help you brake less)...as well as obviously riding in adverse conditions (mud etc)

I held on to my v-brakes for a while after everyone had upgraded, but my 'epiphany' finally came to me one day as I slid sideways down a steep rocky hill with both wheels locked up (all I wanted to do was feather the brakes a little, to keep speed in check)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #772
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Damn Breyton, you build more bikes than anyone I know...seriously, jealous

I love those Crank Bros wheels, I saw them on 26ers last year when they first released them....didn't know they made a 29 version

I stopped modding the car so I have a bit more to spend on the bikes.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #773
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Hehe, I have indeed ridden with cantilever brakes in all weather conditions except snow. They are definitely worse in that case, but at least they aren't annoying and squeal like disk brakes in the wet.

I think a big benefit of disk brakes is that the pad adjustment doesn't change if you dent your rim. The power and modulation really depends on the type of brake. I've used some hayes that were equal or worse than the cantilever brakes with some nice koolstop pads. Then again I've used some Avid Elixirs that blow everything out of the water.

Either way, I was speaking more to the suspension matter. A nice rigid or hardtail (maybe 29er, but I've never ridden one so I can't suggest it) with disk brakes would be a lot better than a crappy full suspension bike. Once the beginner finds out their limits and what kind of riding they want to pursue, they can buy a better bike for that type of riding. Personally I went from a rigid mountain bike to another, larger rigid mountain bike, to s 8.5" travel downhill bike which was overkill, and then to a 6" travel all mountain bike.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 06-16-2011 at 01:48 AM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #774
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I stopped modding the car so I have a bit more to spend on the bikes.
You were probably joking, I did indeed buy me a wheelset that would have easily gotten me some nice 19" wheels for my car.

dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #775
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
You were probably joking, I did indeed buy me a wheelset that would have easily gotten me some nice 19" wheels for my car.
Yeah, bike parts can be crazy expensive. Especially those made with exotic unobtainium.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #776
calialx1

My Ride: FL 330i, 3000GT
Just bought this project....need brake work but I like working one them

Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #777
Bananaboy

My Ride: 10' FJ
Send a message via AIM to Bananaboy
freeride is amazing, ride the **** out of that bike
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #778
13//

My Ride: is immune to modbug
Send a message via MSN to 13//
yesterday's fun <3

bike
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #779
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Been thinking about getting back into this. What new bike would you suggest for almost n00b

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #780
Ghostie

^we've had a bunch of discussions on newbie bikes in this thread already, just go back a few pages or do a search

Nice stoppie, //13