E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Crossfit Going Mainstream?

With a new big sponsorship by Reebok, it seems like crossfit is really on the verge of going mainstream.

I'm not a fan of a lot of things related to crossfit, but I do think the more exposure it gets the better the fitness world will be in general.

I like to think of it as a "gatweay drug" for become more into lifting and doing the right kind of things. Before I started looking at the crossfit website I never would have though to do deadlifts and squats or clean and jerks and snatches. It was what got me into "working out the right way"... at least for my goals that is.

I know a lot of people here aren't the biggest fans of CF (for many legitamate reasons), but it really is pretty cool how its getting soccer moms and grandparents into olympic lifting and actually messing around with barbells as opposed to just machines at the big corporate gyms.

Within 5 years I'll be shocked if you dont see the crossfit games on ESPN (2 at least).

Anyone seeing it around more and more?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
i like to see things like this because for some reason everyone thinks that unless you can only do one body part a week and you must do 3sets of 10. People need to open their minds a little bit.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
i like to see things like this because for some reason everyone thinks that unless you can only do one body part a week and you must do 3sets of 10. People need to open their minds a little bit.
Agreed. If someone told me three years ago that one day I'd be making atlas stones in my garage i would have told them they were nuts.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I definitely think that CF is going mainstream, BUT.......

....at least the member base tends to be comprised of hard working, dedicated invididuals (...rather than the posers usually associated with the mainstream crowd).
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
etidd01

My Ride: is gone...
Just joined a local CF. I've never been into weightlifting (boring IMO), but wanted to add something to complement my training for a half marathon in October. Only signed up for 3 months, so we'll see how it goes.
etidd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Good for it. Not a fan but there is more than one way to skin ze cat. I will say i do like it more than p90x, but otherwise meh.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Good for it. Not a fan but there is more than one way to skin ze cat. I will say i do like it more than p90x, but otherwise meh.
Yeah it's totally different. Have you done many of the p90x workouts? I did the arm one today and I wanted to die lol
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Nope, I am not interested in the 'toning' associated with it or basically anything to do with it - maybe except for the abs.

I do know Maryland State Police uses CrossFit in their academy, so if I decide to go with them I'll be doing it one way or another
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Hartge50
Kleemann Info Centre GmBH

My Ride: The Hertz Mobile
I actually tried crossfit one time and it was one of these special events. The event was called "Fight Gone Bad". That isht was serious!! I think it was 5 or maybe 6 different exercises which you had to finish in 15mins and do as many reps as possible and jump from one exercise to another with 1 minute rest in each 5/6 exercises. 3 rounds and you're guaranteed to be exhausted.

Hartge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
etidd01

My Ride: is gone...
Anyone care to share their reasons for not liking CF? Just curious.
etidd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by etidd01 View Post
Most of the criticism I see relates to the lack of progression in their programming and that it creates people that are "jack of all trades, master of none."

They call it a strength and conditioning program.... I'd just call it a conditioning program.... at least thats what I use it for.

I do dedicated strength work with CF type workouts thrown in for conditioning.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
It's definitely picking up steam. I know some people who are not the type to get dirty, but who got into and LOVE crossfit.

The good thing about crossfit is that it is what you make of it. The bad thing is that it's so open that you get these workouts where it's like "do a million pushups and run five miles" as if that's well-rounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
The good thing about crossfit is that it is what you make of it. The bad thing is that it's so open that you get these workouts where it's like "do a million pushups and run five miles" as if that's well-rounded.

I like it, but not enough to drop $175/month at my local box.

Its fun to change it up, I enjoy the balance exercises and the tempo is great if you're traveling and only have a hotel gym.

I think it will fade just like zumba, macarena and all those other workout gimmicks.

At the end of your life, people who work hard in exercise will be fit, people who are unmotivated will be less fit.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartge50 View Post
I actually tried crossfit one time and it was one of these special events. The event was called "Fight Gone Bad". That isht was serious!! I think it was 5 or maybe 6 different exercises which you had to finish in 15mins and do as many reps as possible and jump from one exercise to another with 1 minute rest in each 5/6 exercises. 3 rounds and you're guaranteed to be exhausted.

FGB was the first CF WOD that I ever completed as well.

I was at the CF Regionals at CSULB this past weekend. Lots of good competition, and one of the guys from L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. is currently in 2nd place. There was an unaffliated athlete, Jeff Bridges (..1st place at the Regionals), who came in and broke a world record. He left the Regionals affliated with a team based out of San Diego.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etidd01 View Post
I don't dislike CF, but I prefer the body builder's approach to building muscle/strength. You could say that aesthetics are my priority.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
There was an unaffliated athlete, Jeff Bridges (..1st place at the Regionals), who came in and broke a world record. He left the Regionals affliated with a team based out of San Diego.
Josh Bridges and he's out of CrossFit Invictus here in SD. He's always been with Invictus. That guy is a complete machine. Every Team guy that I've seen do CF just have a different mentality of how to push themselves that normal people just can't find. I guess going through Hell Week gives you a different mentality of what your mind is capable of making your body do.

Last edited by fugarza; 06-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
fugarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
Josh Bridges and he's out of CrossFit Invictus here in SD. He's always been with Invictus. That guy is a complete machine. Every Team guy that I've seen do CF just have a different mentality of how to push themselves that normal people just can't find. I guess going through Hell Week gives you a different mentality of what your mind is capable of making your body do.

Ahhh, Josh. My bad!

Yeah, he is a beast for sure!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
My work sponsors our crossfit 3 days a week

I do my free weights in between and have been making results though my weight lifting took a hit and I can't lift as much

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
DylloS

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
The first two people in that video are one of the main things that I truly dislike about crossfit.