E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
9-NINE

My Ride: E46
Legal advice? 2 citations from same officer within 15 days!!!

First one, driving 35-40mph on 35mph limit road, I feel I hit something, a car is following me close so I put my emergency lights and turn first corner I see and park. Before I could get out, I hear turn off your engine, NOW! Almost hit a car sitting on the corner while turning, without realizing its an un marked police car. I am too worried about the car after all..

No chance to explain myself, you almost hit me blah blah, 110 dollar ticket 3 points, we talk I explain, ticket is already done so I have no choice but to sign or have my car towed. "Above operated at a speed to great to safely negotiate turn. (Almost hit me)," charge; driving vehicle at safe speed, no MPH marked. I say any points with this, he says, you look like you have a led foot, you have points? I say I got a ticket year ago, but no I dont think I have any points. He says, yeah you look like you have a led foot.

Second one, I get up head to gym, its my day off, nice day, driving speed limit 25mph. I come to the lights, green, committed to turn, light turns yellow, I speed up around the turn, my tires screech because I am on second gear with high RPM. Back of the car wobbles a little but no problem, DSC comes on I am back on road. Its 35mph on the road I turned on to, so I drive for about a mile speed limit, police car behind me. Stop at the lights, nothing, speed up all good and nice, and quiet, he pulls me over. I pull up nice and safe. Asks me license registration, insurance, no chance to explain myself. I am all polite again, I dont interrupt him, just wait patiently for a chance.

When he comes back with citation, I say officer is there any way I can get a warning, its a powerful car and I lost control for a second. He tells me, you turned too fast and could have caused an accident. "Above operated in careless manner to point where he lost control of vehicle making a turn," charge; careless driving. I say, Ok officer, is there points with this he says yes, three points. I say ok, if we went to court could you be able to at least help me with points? He says, well, we have been in contact with you prior to this not long ago, so we will have some talking to do. I say to my self, cant be.. Look up, its the same cop!

I have court scheduled for the first one coming this July, its a small place so I will definitely get the same judge for the second one. How the hell em I supposed to defend myself against a judge who will think I am a led foot jackass, at the same time we all know he has to back his police officer too.
All because my car is a part time track car, so it looks and sounds like so. I dont even drive it more than 3000miles a year.

I have a letter from penndot that says I have 0 points on my license, and only one speeding ticket year before and thats it. Any ideas of how I should proceed and defend myself?

Both of them are 3 points so, either way I am not losing my license. It is the fact that I have to pay, take a day off and show up at court. And the fact that I feel disrespected, because he didnt even let me explain, he just started writing the fine. You know I have all the respect for the officers, its a tough job, but this is a place where there is no crime and all they do is write tickets. Now I understand why people speak so disrespectfully of the area police.

Last edited by 9-NINE; 06-16-2011 at 09:36 AM.
9-NINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
MrAdam

My Ride: S.L.O.W.
Damn that sucks. I would advise getting a lawyer and they probably can reduce the charges or something, they most likely won't drop them but they can change them. it's gonna be tough tho because you got 2 similar tickets.
Good luck!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Looks like you have issues making turns.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
9-NINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
No issues making turns, in fact my cars suspension is focused on turns and not straight aways. So I could have made both turns 60mph, but the problem is I dropped a gear and loudly did it under 30mph.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
That sucks, sorry to hear that, Might want to consult with a lawyer?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
impulse90

My Ride: .
Should probably learn how to drive, mkay.
impulse90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
9-NINE

Well, lawyer and tickets is going to cost an arm and a leg..
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
maybe the officer has a problem with giving people right hand turn tickets

lol
Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-NINE View Post
Well, lawyer and tickets is going to cost an arm and a leg..
I know you mentioned UTI and BMW step in a PM.

6 points will cost you a chance to get employed as a tech and also BMW will not take you into their program.

So the lawyer may be expensive however if you are serious about doing what you said in your PM, you better get a lawyer and fight it.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
9-NINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
I know you mentioned UTI and BMW step in a PM.

6 points will cost you a chance to get employed as a tech and also BMW will not take you into their program.

So the lawyer may be expensive however if you are serious about doing what you said in your PM, you better get a lawyer and fight it.
Yes, after your response, I thought of that and just contacted a lawyer. Problem is I dont think with prices in that area, I will be able to afford a lawyer, and if I do I would spend my savings for UTI. Its really messed up and is not fair that this guy is playing with my life like this. I have been trying to keep my record clean and save money just so I can attend the BMW step one day.

Last edited by 9-NINE; 06-16-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
First one, driving 35-40mph on 35mph limit road, I feel I hit something, a car is following me close so I put my emergency lights and turn first corner I see and park. Before I could get out, I hear turn off your engine, NOW! Almost hit a car sitting on the corner while turning, without realizing its an un marked police car. I am too worried about the car after all..

No chance to explain myself, you almost hit me blah blah, 110 dollar ticket 3 points, we talk I explain, ticket is already done so I have no choice but to sign or have my car towed. "Above operated at a speed to great to safely negotiate turn. (Almost hit me)," charge; driving vehicle at safe speed, no MPH marked. I say any points with this, he says, you look like you have a led foot, you have points? I say I got a ticket year ago, but no I dont think I have any points. He says, yeah you look like you have a led foot.

Second one, I get up head to gym, its my day off, nice day, driving speed limit 25mph. I come to the lights, green, committed to turn, light turns yellow, I speed up around the turn, my tires screech because I am on second gear with high RPM. Back of the car wobbles a little but no problem, DSC comes on I am back on road. Its 35mph on the road I turned on to, so I drive for about a mile speed limit, police car behind me. Stop at the lights, nothing, speed up all good and nice, and quiet, he pulls me over. I pull up nice and safe. Asks me license registration, insurance, no chance to explain myself. I am all polite again, I dont interrupt him, just wait patiently for a chance.

When he comes back with citation, I say officer is there any way I can get a warning, its a powerful car and I lost control for a second. He tells me, you turned too fast and could have caused an accident. "Above operated in careless manner to point where he lost control of vehicle making a turn," charge; careless driving. I say, Ok officer, is there points with this he says yes, three points. I say ok, if we went to court could you be able to at least help me with points? He says, well, we have been in contact with you prior to this not long ago, so we will have some talking to do. I say to my self, cant be.. Look up, its the same cop!

I have court scheduled for the first one coming this July, its a small place so I will definitely get the same judge for the second one. How the hell em I supposed to defend myself against a judge who will think I am a led foot jackass, at the same time we all know he has to back his police officer too.
All because my car is a part time track car, so it looks and sounds like so. I dont even drive it more than 3000miles a year.

I have a letter from penndot that says I have 0 points on my license, and only one speeding ticket year before and thats it. Any ideas of how I should proceed and defend myself?

Both of them are 3 points so, either way I am not losing my license. It is the fact that I have to pay, take a day off and show up at court. And the fact that I feel disrespected, because he didnt even let me explain, he just started writing the fine. You know I have all the respect for the officers, its a tough job, but this is a place where there is no crime and all they do is write tickets. Now I understand why people speak so disrespectfully of the area police.
Sounds to me like you need to be a better conscientious driver. I take corners fast but with smooth weight transitions and throttle control so as not to overwelhm the tires. as a general rule of thumb you don't ever want to screech tires on the street. If your cars alignment is out of wack and you are running shitty tires its easy to screech but then again you shouldn't be driving aggresively under those conditions either.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 06-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
sounds like you need to slow down and pay better attention.

signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt.

Get a lawyer to reduce fines/points

Lower Merion huh? What's the cops name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman3 View Post
wtf!? Trailer Park boys at it again.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
E-XLVI

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZPP/ZHP/ZCW
Looks like 2 separate charges; Careless & reckless. But if they are both considered 'reckless' by the court (and you exhibit a pattern), Penn has some serious laws on this behavior.

PA Careless Driving Laws
You may be found guilty of a careless driving offense if you are found driving in a manner that shows careless disregard for the safety of others. This is a summary offense, similar to a ticket. It is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and fines. You will also suffer 3 points on your driver's license for this offense.

Falling asleep while driving is also charged as careless driving.
Ref: 75 Pa. C.S.3714

PA Reckless Driving LawsYou may be charged with reckless driving if you drive with willfull or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. Similar to careless driving, this is a summary offense. You may serve up to 90 days in jail as well as a fine of at least $200.

This offense will also land you a 6 month suspension of your driving privileges. If you incur three or more reckless driving charges you will lose your license for 5 years.
Ref: 75 Pa. C.S.3736
E-XLVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman3 View Post
omg what a couple of retards

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Hmm somehow I bet you were going a little faster than you feel you were...

Either way telling a cop it was because you have a "powerful car" doesn't seem like a great strategy.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
9-NINE

That is good to know, tho I only have 3 tickets life time. One was last year June, and these two, thats it. At this point, I feel I will be okay if I dont lose my license. The worst part is I dont feel I deserve it in the slightest, but the judge is of course going to want to make an example of the young guy with the BMW sports car.

And there was no way I was going over 30mph on either one of the turns.. I have been really paying attention to my speed because as I said trying to keep my record clean.

Last edited by 9-NINE; 06-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #19
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
Hmm somehow I bet you were going a little faster than you feel you were...

Either way telling a cop it was because you have a "powerful car" doesn't seem like a great strategy.
I concur.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
new//M3fan

Quote:
That is good to know, tho I only have 3 tickets life time. One was last year June, and these two, thats it. At this point, I feel I will be okay if I dont lose my license. The worst part is I dont feel I deserve it in the slightest, but the judge is of course going to want to make an example of the young guy with the BMW sports car.

And there was no way I was going over 30mph on either one of the turns..
Then you need to get your alignment, suspension components, and some BMWCCA classes under you belt.

You could have done all of that but now that money is going to go towards fine fee's etc...

That's my motivation to keep it civil and within the cars and my limit on the streets