E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Best time to discover your brakes aren't fully function is:

[ ] On an interstate off-ramp
[ ] Trailing a sherrif/officer
[ ] With a lunch date with an attractive co-worker
[x] All of the above

Oh how fun...

Luckily I had calibrated my E-brake with my brake job.

Officer must have saw the whole thing. He pulled over to the shoulder instead of proceeding. I dont know why he didnt just flag me, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Date understood too, I think. Pretty good sport considering her life was in danger.

ANYWHO, I once again summon the help of the Fanatics.

I finished my brake job on Monday. Bedded them in, they felt great! Made me sick to my stomach with all the braking power.

However, when I realized my brakes weren't working too well and the pedal was nearly to the floor, my DSC light came on, and stayed on until the car was turned off, I coudlnt even turn it off with the button. I pulled the E-Brake gradually until I had enough stopping force, combined with the partial brakes and engine braking of course. I dont think I broke rear traction too much, if at all, I had a heavy load in the trunk, which probably helped.

The question is, after I dropped her off back to work and went to park. The brakes were sooooooo squishy, like to the floor. They were squishy before, but not nearly this bad. I checked the brake fluid level, and it was barely above the min line!? WTF. I'm pretty sure I topped that thing off throughout the entire bleeding process and after every 5-6 pumps of the pedal.

Also, when braking with the engine on, while driving or just standing still. I can hear a hissing/breathy sound coming from near my steering column/brake MC while inside the car. Sounds sort of like pressurized air being passed through a regulator or when you pump a tire with a hand pump. IDK how else do describe it.

So, my question(s) is(are) this:

What the hell happened while braking?
Why did the fluid go down so much?
What does the DSC light stuck on alone mean? I keep reading things about DSC+Yellow BRAKE light but not DSC alone.
Did I suck in air on the off ramp?
Is that hissing/air pump noise normal? I dont recall hearing it before.

I'm going to do a few things in a bit when I get a chance:

Top off the brake fluid.
Retest braking conditions with car off and on.
Take it to my trusty independent mechanic.
See what he thinks.

Worst case scenario I keep reading is my MC is shot.

Best case, brake bleeding.

Ill let you know what I find... I'm off to troubleshoot.

Thank you ladies and gents,

Brandon

EDIT: Also, dont worry about my safety, indie mechanic is like a block from here. Ill go like 15mph tops, unless the brakes dont work at all.

Last edited by falcon1209; 06-16-2011 at 11:00 AM.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Maybe Mr.DSC and Ms.brake-light broke up. Now DSC is a poor lonely boy..
jk lol I say a part of the ABS system..Hissing noise is just ordinary noise, master cylinder could've been damaged but I don't really think so..
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
You probably didn't open your brake reservoir cap when pushing the calipers back in and you forced the fluid to leak from the lines somewhere.
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Your story is waaaaay too long to see what you did to the car.

You did a brake job on Monday, and the brakes didn't do their job on Wednesday, but you didn't drive on Tuesday.

What does, "brake job" mean.

You have to crawl under the car and check the wheel cylinders for leakage. Clearly you have no clue where the brake fluid went, or when it left. So you have to performe some basic inspections before you can ask for help.

PS
A failed Master Cylilnder will seldom manifest itself with a reduced level of brake fluid in the reservior. This symptom is (by a very wide margin) more likely the result of a failure of a wheel cylinder -- and you should easily see the resulting mess -- and could actually be a problem with the clutch hydraulics (the clutch and brake systems share the same fluid).
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
falcon1209

[QUOTE=jdstrickland;13282168]Your story is waaaaay too long to see what you did to the car. [QUOTE]

Sorry, I had to spill all this information out before my break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You did a brake job on Monday, and the brakes didn't do their job on Wednesday, but you didn't drive on Tuesday.
Dunno where I said that, its been driven back and forth to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Today.

Quote:
Remanufactured caliper, pad and rotor x4. And fluid flush.

Quote:
You have to crawl under the car and check the wheel cylinders for leakage. Clearly you have no clue where the brake fluid went, or when it left. So you have to performe some basic inspections before you can ask for help.
Clearly, I do know when it left, not where.. I didn't have the time to look when I was already running a little behind and car was parked. They were working fine, full pressure, until today... on the off ramp. It was night and day difference between braking in town before the interstate, and exiting it.

Quote:
PS
A failed Master Cylilnder will seldom manifest itself with a reduced level of brake fluid in the reservior. This symptom is (by a very wide margin) more likely the result of a failure of a wheel cylinder -- and you should easily see the resulting mess -- and could actually be a problem with the clutch hydraulics (the clutch and brake systems share the same fluid).
Thank you, this was helpful. It was why I was so confused, why a MC would result in loss of fluid... because it rarely will, if ever.

EDIT: Well, the result of the diagnosis by the lovely gents over at my mechanic's shop was very conclusive. Brake line = exploded. Right rear line was rubbing against the hub/axle and ruptured due to the bracket holding the line being bent outward toward the hub.. Not sure how it was bent so much, its a pretty solid bracket. I didnt even think about the lines being the culprit. I just felt up all of the calipers and they were cork dry. The wheel was wet towards the inner lip, however.

Anyways, $40 for a good, albeit easy diagnosis once the car was up.

They wanted $590 for a four line replacement. I think imma do it myself.

Ill post pictures later.

Last edited by falcon1209; 06-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Your story is waaaaay too long to see what you did to the car.

PS
what's a wheel cylinder?
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
falcon1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
what's a wheel cylinder?
RIMZ DAWG! DOZE 22's NOMSAYIN BRAH!?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
It's what pushes out the brake shoes by the wheel, if you have drum brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
what's a wheel cylinder?

Falcon1209: Now you need to ask your co-worker out on another date. Tell her your pulling the e-brake lever had nothing to do with that Jeremy Clarkson line about how you thought it would make her clothes fly off.

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 06-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Ask for a refund on your brake job. Clearly it sucked. Find a more competent person to do the job next time.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
falcon1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Ask for a refund on your brake job. Clearly it sucked. Find a more competent person to do the job next time.
Awwwww how cute, GN tried to make a joke.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Maybe you introduced air into the DSC/ABS controller? Somewhat difficult to avoid when the lines and/or calipers are removed. I was really careful about it when I changed my calipers and still got a little bit of air in... wasn't a big deal for me though since I was able to use the GT1 system to get the air out before I even put the car back on the ground.