E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #41
Drewfus2101

My Ride: '03 330i
So what have we learned?

- Don't just throw parts at it from now on. If you have a problem, post it on here or do much more reasearch on here than you were doing, before buying parts.

A lot of people in your situation blame the car. But the problems your having are very normal for a car with >100K miles. They are normal maintenance items or might not have been broken from the beginning.

- Don't buy cheap parts. My local BMW shop will match online prices, so take ECStuning prices and see if your place won't match that. It will save you A LOT of money.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #42
AW325i

My Ride: 325i
I'm surprised Going Nuts hasn't said "Trade it in for a Honda"
AW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
Jools

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325i View Post
I'm surprised Going Nuts hasn't said "Trade it in for a Honda"
A car with 160k miles is a car with 160k miles. I've basically only ever owned Hondas, Toyotas, and BMWs and, ironically, my BMWs (my current 2003 330Ci with 60k miles, a 1998 540i 6-speed that I just sold a few months ago with 98k miles, and a 1996 740iL that I owned for six years and sold with 110k miles) have been the most absolutely trouble free cars of the lot. Of course, that's probably because they've all been relatively low mileage. We own a 2004 Civic with 145k miles that I've pumped a decent amount of money into, but I'd never call it a money pit or unreliable - in fact, I'd call it incredibly reliable given the mileage and usage it sees.

What I'm saying, slowguy, is that I think people in this thread are responding as much to your tone as anything else. Every high mileage car I've ever owned has been at its most expensive in the 120-180k mile range. It's just the point where all the not-quite-maintenance-but-not-quite-lifetime stuff begins to fail and you start to see the longterm impact of neglecting regular maintenance at lower miles. It doesn't help that you seem to be ignoring the #1 and #2 rules of DIY car repairs: the cheapest possible fix always comes first and take it to a professional when your only other option is throwing money at multiple possible solutions.

Good luck in any case. Hopefully you're coming up on the light at the end of the tunnel.
Jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #44
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools View Post
A car with 160k miles is a car with 160k miles. I've basically only ever owned Hondas, Toyotas, and BMWs and, ironically, my BMWs (my current 2003 330Ci with 60k miles, a 1998 540i 6-speed that I just sold a few months ago with 98k miles, and a 1996 740iL that I owned for six years and sold with 110k miles) have been the most absolutely trouble free cars of the lot. Of course, that's probably because they've all been relatively low mileage. We own a 2004 Civic with 145k miles that I've pumped a decent amount of money into, but I'd never call it a money pit or unreliable - in fact, I'd call it incredibly reliable given the mileage and usage it sees.

What I'm saying, slowguy, is that I think people in this thread are responding as much to your tone as anything else. Every high mileage car I've ever owned has been at its most expensive in the 120-180k mile range. It's just the point where all the not-quite-maintenance-but-not-quite-lifetime stuff begins to fail and you start to see the longterm impact of neglecting regular maintenance at lower miles. It doesn't help that you seem to be ignoring the #1 and #2 rules of DIY car repairs: the cheapest possible fix always comes first and take it to a professional when your only other option is throwing money at multiple possible solutions.

Good luck in any case. Hopefully you're coming up on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good Post

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #45
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
As I read these posts I am wondering if I am the one being replied to?? 15 year old car - it's a 2000; cheap chinese parts? - with the exception of one cps sensor, all have been german made oem? My wife driving caused the problems?....yes, I'm sure that's why the vanos seals were bad, the fuel pump went, the alternator burnt up, and so on.....I is her car - I drive the Mercedes.

I just simply wanted advice about simple procedures - with the help of the board I've done every single procedure with no problems - I own my own mechanical/technical business and I have a masters in IT...I think I can handle it. Finally, "AAA"...."kids"..... I have neither.

I don't need opinions about chinese crap, or being called an idiot for no apparent reason...those posts are just glossed over anyway. Those post are put up for the poster only to make him/her feel better about themselves.

For those of you who are here to save money, like to do projects yourself, and like giving constructive advice...I thank you. Your advice and experience has been invaluable. It would have been a much "bumpier" road without you.
Yes E46 is a 15 year old car. 15 year old technology and parts, there is nothing new about this.

Didnt say a word about kids. I said a man with a family, if you dont consider your wife as your family then I cant help you. AAA or some other type of road side assistance is a must when you drive around in a 15 year old car.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #46
slowguy

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools View Post

So far, I think this is the most relevant post when considering "opinions". All things considered, I didn't need or want opinions I just wanted mechanical answers. I guess some took offense when lightly calling the car a money pit...and I do have a very competent indy shop...when I need it.

For those of you who consider alternators, fuel pumps, cps sensors, the entire cooling system.. etc...maintenance, I beg to differ. No other car have ever owned required a complete cooling system replacement recommended at 80K miles...oh yeah, and the indy shop agrees. Ball joints I can see, but the bushings and all the joints in the car? All the window regulators?

Please don't take my posts as complaining...just surprised at the what is considered maintenance for this car. Up until this point it has been fairly reliable...and I have done "maintenance". Change filters, change oil, replace parts as they break, tires rotated, etc...this is what I typically know as maintenance. In the past it seemed that if you did these things, break-downs were few and far between and spaced out so as to deal with them easier.

With in the span of six months I've had thousands of dollars worth of failed parts...oh yeah, and guess what...until i bought the car at 120K it had always been maintained by the dealer.

Finally, I will say that EVERY SINGLE part I've replaced...with the exception of ONE CPS sensor was defective. That was my fault because I bought it off ebay...never happened again. after that all parts were genuine bmw parts. Thank you for the posts that are actually constructive...I couldn't have done half the repairs without this forum. And I hope someday I can meet with wasp9166, so we can have a "discussion" about intelligence.
slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote