E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
cleung

My Ride: 2004 530i
e46 headers on my e60

Hey guys,

I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I have been frequenting it for mod ideas still. Anyways recently I had modified bimmerbrakes headers to fit onto my m54 e60. So now that I have it installed all is great but I'm getting a nasty rasp now. I like the volume and tone of the exhaust note now but don't care for the rasp. I'm wondering if I remove my resonator and replace it with 2 AR25's if that would get rid of the rasp? Or would I have to keep the OE resonator and also install the AR25's?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sorta pioneering this mod for the e60 crowd no one else on the e60 forum has done this so I can't seem to get much help over there.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Awsome did youhave to modify anything? I pressume no because it's a m54 .. Yes 1 ar25 should do the trick will prob get rid of it all.. Can you post sound clips for us please ?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Bmw 6 cyl are raspy engines is general. How many resonators are in e60 ? I think its the muffler and not the resonators.
I love rasp, the more the better for me, so I cant be much of help to you

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
cleung

I haven't taken any vids yet, hopefully this weekend. I did have to do some modding to get the headers to fit, they fit fine on the monifold side but the flanges were off on the midpipe connection and also the headers were sitting about an inch too far to the driver side. I had the shop modify the headers so that in case I didn't like them I could go back to the oem headers without having to mod again.

There is only one resonator in a e60 and it is also the y pipe. The exhaust goes 2 pipes like the e46 all the way through the midpipe until the end were there is a resonator that is 2 in and 1 out, then it joins to the muffler. I'm wondering if I can get rid of the resonator and replace it with 2 AR25's to get rid of the rasp but keep the tone and volume. Or would I have to keep the resonator and add a AR25 to get rid of the rasp. The reason I don't like the rasp is that I never had it before and now it sounds like something is rattling (ie. heatshield or something).
Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
cleung

Do you guys think that a generic x-pipe would help with the rasp?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
cleung

still haven't found a solution. I looked adn it doesn't look like I have enough room to install 2 ar20's in the dual section, the pipes are too close together.

Has anyone here tried installing a y-pipe right after the headers and then going single 3" all the way back with a resonator in the middle of the 3" pipe somewhere?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
It seems from what I've read on the M3 forums, that was what the X pipe was intended for - eliminate rasp.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
get 2 ar25's and a xpipe
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
cleung

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
It seems from what I've read on the M3 forums, that was what the X pipe was intended for - eliminate rasp.
So you think I should use an x crossover in the midsection and leave the y-resonator in place as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
get 2 ar25's and a xpipe
I initially was thinking of using 2 AR20's but I don't think I have enough room to fit them in, the dual pips in the midsection are too close together. this is why I starting thinking maybe a single 3" pipe then 1 AR30 in the middle?