E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Spansfelder

My Ride: e30&e46 convertible
DIY: Coming-Leaving Home for e46

So this will be my first DIY, so please don't judge to hard

I was looking for a simple way to implement a coming/leaving home function for my bimmer! Most of the new cars have it, so I thought there must be a way to put it into the e46 as well.
(coming/leaving home is switching on the lights when you lock/unlock your car)

So I don't want to tell you guys the whole story how I finally did it, only how it works!!

You need:
- a relay for each version
- some wire
- T-connectors (or you solder it)

First of all you have to remove the glove box to get access to the GM. After that remove the cover which is under the steering wheel!! Now you can put one or two cables (depends if you only want coming or leaving home or both, see attached document) thru the center console. On the glove box side connect the cables with the right cables of the GM. Then you can put the glove box back in.
On the driver side connect the cable, which comes from the GM, with one end of the control loop of the relay. Connect the other end of the control loop with ground. I connected it with the ground of the power outlet in the ashtray.
Now you have to put a cable from the LSZ to the load circle of the relay! It is very important to put a 1200 Ohm resistor between that cable (see drawing)! If you don't put a resistor between it, you will get a dysfunction.
I soldered it into that line and put some heat shrink tube around it, so that the resistor is secured.
Connect the other end of the load circle also with ground.
After that you are ready with the wiring. Hide the relay/relays and the cables and put everything back together.

That's it, now it will switch on the light when you lock or unlock your car (depends on the version)!

If you know somebody who is able to code the LSZ, you can choose which lights are used for the mod! I use the fog lights, the turn signals (constant) and the taillights.

I changed the MOD a little bit for myself. I'm using a circuit board which detects if it's dark or not. So the mod is only active when it's getting dark. But I don't have a connection diagram for that circuit so I don't implement it here.

I will make a video when I get my bimmer back (has some mechanical problems actually)!

If you guys have any questions, just let me know!!

Hope some of you will enjoy it

Special thanks to macmac from e46fanatics.de, he helped me a lot and finally it was his idea
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coming-Leaving Home.pdf (40.2 KB, 687 views)

DIY: Coming/Leaving home for e46!

Offer special coding / european coding in Austin, TX! Just contact me ;)

Last edited by Spansfelder; 06-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Spansfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
taurus_tem

My Ride: Bmw 318 M Sport Conv
Please can you help me out with a lil more info on this diy

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bimmer App
taurus_tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Spansfelder

My Ride: e30&e46 convertible
Sure, what do you want to know??

DIY: Coming/Leaving home for e46!

Offer special coding / european coding in Austin, TX! Just contact me ;)

Spansfelder is offline   Reply With Quote