E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Exclamation Steering Angle Sensor ... need more advice

Kalim is the man !

He checked out my DSC System for faulty Codes and it turns out my Steering Angle Sensor is bad. Now i was thinking of getting a new unit which i think is around $300 from dealer or go with a used one from ebay for around $80-100. Then either go to a shop and get it done or DIY it. i am however not confident that i could replace the unit thats why i am worried i might break it. What shall i do ? choose one of the options or give me yours.

1) Used Sensor --> DIY --> get it re-calibrated at Dealer

2) New Sensor --> Dealer --> get it re-calibrated at Dealer

3) New Sensor --> DIY --> get it re-calibrated at Dealer

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Find out what the calibration process is and whether it must be done at the dealer. Does it involve programming the DSC system or can you just turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right to calibrate it? I don't know the answer, but I'll bet someone already answered this around here. And before you buy the part from the dealer, check out the part price from www.getbmwparts.com, www.pelicanparts.com, and www.ecstuning.com.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Find out what the calibration process is and whether it must be done at the dealer. Does it involve programming the DSC system or can you just turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right to calibrate it? I don't know the answer, but I'll bet someone already answered this around here. And before you buy the part from the dealer, check out the part price from www.getbmwparts.com, www.pelicanparts.com, and www.ecstuning.com.
yes the DSC needs to be programed and calibrated. as for the sites they are the same price as the dealer im worried if i touch the steering column i will put myself in risk of assembling it wrong and have an accident in the future what you guys think ?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
You could try the "silly and free" fix first, which is something like turn key to on position, turn wheel all the way left, right left, lock to lock, and see if that resets the steering angle sensor itself. Will it work? Probably not, since it obviously won't fix a broken sensor. But I read somewhere this might recalibrate the existing sensor. Should take 5 minutes to try it. Otherwise call the dealer and get a quote, and then--since you're in Saratoga--call Bavarian Autosport in Milpitas, Dinan Service (Campbell or Mt. View), and Trackstar Racing in Mountain View. Tell them the code that Kalim read from your car and ask how much to replace the sensor, parts and labor, and whether they can calibrate the DSC.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
You could try the "silly and free" fix first, which is something like turn key to on position, turn wheel all the way left, right left, lock to lock, and see if that resets the steering angle sensor itself. Will it work? Probably not, since it obviously won't fix a broken sensor. But I read somewhere this might recalibrate the existing sensor. Should take 5 minutes to try it. Otherwise call the dealer and get a quote, and then--since you're in Saratoga--call Bavarian Autosport in Milpitas, Dinan Service (Campbell or Mt. View), and Trackstar Racing in Mountain View. Tell them the code that Kalim read from your car and ask how much to replace the sensor, parts and labor, and whether they can calibrate the DSC.
yea im probably gona take it to Dinan
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
John949

My Ride: E330 CI
First thing is to make sure the sensor is really dead and not just out of calibration. If you've had the tracking adjusted or done other work on the front end this might be enough to throw the calibration out and your DSC and general brake warning lights will come on. The sensor (LEW) can be re-calibrated using PA Soft - so I'm told. I'm about to try this (when it arrives) as I've changed both the column and the rack. Changing the sensor can be a b****h as the top steering U/J has to come off and I had a huge struggle to get this off the splines. I'm not sure that you can change the sensor without taking the steering column out as the sensor is round the shaft so you would need to be able to slide the inner splined shaft up into the column far enough to get the sensor off. The sensor is held on by two clips that need to be pressed in to allow the sensor to slide down. This is all pretty tricky with the column in situ but easy with it out. Taking the column out would be favourite but you will need to disturb the air bag (mine didn't need the warning light resetting when I put it back) and drill out the security bolt holding the column in. If you're not confident (or like me just refuse to be beaten) then maybe this is one for someone who has done it before.
John949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John949 View Post
First thing is to make sure the sensor is really dead and not just out of calibration. If you've had the tracking adjusted or done other work on the front end this might be enough to throw the calibration out and your DSC and general brake warning lights will come on. The sensor (LEW) can be re-calibrated using PA Soft - so I'm told. I'm about to try this (when it arrives) as I've changed both the column and the rack. Changing the sensor can be a b****h as the top steering U/J has to come off and I had a huge struggle to get this off the splines. I'm not sure that you can change the sensor without taking the steering column out as the sensor is round the shaft so you would need to be able to slide the inner splined shaft up into the column far enough to get the sensor off. The sensor is held on by two clips that need to be pressed in to allow the sensor to slide down. This is all pretty tricky with the column in situ but easy with it out. Taking the column out would be favourite but you will need to disturb the air bag (mine didn't need the warning light resetting when I put it back) and drill out the security bolt holding the column in. If you're not confident (or like me just refuse to be beaten) then maybe this is one for someone who has done it before.

i just bought a used Sensor off ebay for $70 ( He has been selling sensors for a while and has great feedback) it was a great deal comparing to a new part that cost $335 @ dealer . i'm going to take it to MUM Sports that Kalim Recommended or Dinan but im sure Dinan won't accept to use my part
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Pedi, before you have them do all the labor to install the replacement, have them try a calibration just in case. The internal fault the sensor was showing should mean it won't work, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Pedi, before you have them do all the labor to install the replacement, have them try a calibration just in case. The internal fault the sensor was showing should mean it won't work, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.
thats a good idea i will be getting the part soon i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Pedi

Update: i got the part yesterday and i took it to Mum Sport (EMC) in Fremont CA. they Quoted Me $450 to install my replacement part + calibration. what you guys think ? too much ? how hard is it to replace it ?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
Pedi

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
way to much
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Pedi

i got another quote for 200 just to put it on. i wish there was a DIY for this! Any one know a good shop around san jose/ cupertino ? ive been to Dinan, Dealership, the driving machine , Precision Motorworks and some other shops. Please Help Me im getting sick on The two Yellow lights!