E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #941
SaN NizZLe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I don't think the Parrot bluetooth is compatible with the Verizon iPhone 4. I've tried multiple time to sync my iPhone with it and...get....nothing

SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #942
msa6

My Ride: 330ci
I got 90% through the install last night. Basically just have to get the car put back together. This thread was enormously helpful. My initial attempts to get the phone (Sprint Evo) paired and working didn't go well. I seemed to be able to get it paired (1234, etc.), and heard that British voice confirm (though it was too loud; distorted), but I didn't seem to get any further joy. Neither the red/green controller worked, nor did the steering wheel buttons.

I know I don't have a complete description of what was happening (it got late), but I'm hoping to get back at it after work tonight (can only drive another car for today, so I need to put mine back together) and wonder if anyone has thoughts on what I might do next.

Thanks!
msa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #943
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by msa6 View Post
I got 90% through the install last night. Basically just have to get the car put back together. This thread was enormously helpful. My initial attempts to get the phone (Sprint Evo) paired and working didn't go well. I seemed to be able to get it paired (1234, etc.), and heard that British voice confirm (though it was too loud; distorted), but I didn't seem to get any further joy. Neither the red/green controller worked, nor did the steering wheel buttons.

I know I don't have a complete description of what was happening (it got late), but I'm hoping to get back at it after work tonight (can only drive another car for today, so I need to put mine back together) and wonder if anyone has thoughts on what I might do next.

Thanks!
Any update? Were you able to get things working?
I have not experienced the issue you are having, but I did have trouble pairing at one point. I reset the parot kit & started over.

If pairing doesn't complete properly, then the steering wheel buttons wont do anything but you should have been able to get into the parrot voice menu using the red/green controller.

Assuming you can get in, then you can adjust the volume of the parrot voice prompts.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #944
msa6

Hey Steve. I did figure it out, most of the way. I had the Parrot controller connected into the cable incorrectly...doing these projects in daylight is a huge help. Now the controller works fine, but I don't seem to have any volume control on the steering wheel. Only way to control volume on a call is with the controller (which I kept in the glove box for access, at least for now). I understand that my phone (a Sprint Evo 4g, Android of course) won't do voice dial through bluetooth, but my assumption was that I should be able to control in call volume from the steering wheel controls (and not have to rely on the Parrot controller).

Any thoughts on this? BTW, clydesdale helped me out on making a patch cable with a resistor, using your instructions to him. It's not a beauty, but I think it's going to work. Thanks to both of you.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #945
steve.325i

Quote:
... but I don't seem to have any volume control on the steering wheel.
Cool. I'm glad you got it working. Sorry I was MIA for so long. Yes, it was a much needed vacation.

You should be able to control the phone volume through the SW controls, but only when a call is in process. Sorry if that is an obvious statement, but I have found with my bb9700 that i can not even adjust the volume while it's ringing. I have to wait until the call is actually connected. Then pressing the volume on the SW should actually adjust your volume on your phone.

re: patch cable - too funny - "It's not a beauty" lol
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #946
msa6

Thanks Steve, got it.

Now I just have to get the microphone set. I don't see how I'd be able to thread it through to the factory location (there just doesn't seem to be any space to push it through). And I seem to have managed to have misplaced the "sticky foot" that came with the Parrot (anyone not using theirs?). Guess I'll use some double sided tape.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #947
msa6

Okay one more...I don't have the "whining" noise that others have posted about, but I'm getting random "cracks" or "pops" when I listen to the radio. These are new since the Parrot was installed. Any thoughts on whether the Parrot might be the source, and what I might do about it?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #948
steve.325i

Quote:
And I seem to have managed to have misplaced the "sticky foot" that came with the Parrot (anyone not using theirs?). Guess I'll use some double sided tape.
Yes I have one if you need it. It doesn't have the original double sided tape on it anymore but I have some stuff that is very similar. You can also trim the visor clip and esseniatlly make the same thing. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

re: taping it in place - I'm a big fan for having this mic exposed & in the clear. Meaning that if you flush mount it I think it cut the mic sensitivity too much. I have recently moved my mic to the top of my mirror & I had to adjust it's postition a few times to expose it enough. Too many variables.

Quote:
Okay one more...I don't have the "whining" noise that others have posted about, but I'm getting random "cracks" or "pops" when I listen to the radio. These are new since the Parrot was installed. Any thoughts on whether the Parrot might be the source, and what I might do about it?
Damn, that's not good. It's actually not the Parrot but the Connect2 interface. I am not using this exact setup so it's a little outside of my knowledge base. I know people have had noise issues when in a call that have been traced back to the Connect2.

Does anyone else have a better memory than me??
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #949
msa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I know people have had noise issues when in a call that have been traced back to the Connect2.
Again, Steve, thanks. It actually isn't noise while in a call. It's noise when I'm not in a call, but am just listening to the radio. I'm wondering whether introducing something new into the system could be the cause.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #950
steve.325i

Quote:
Again, Steve, thanks. It actually isn't noise while in a call. It's noise when I'm not in a call, but am just listening to the radio. I'm wondering whether introducing something new into the system could be the cause.
Yup, I did understand. I just have brain2speech issues

The Connect2 interface sits in between the HU & the speakers, so it has the ability to inject noise during a call as well as when no call is active.

Again, I think this was discussed before. I will do a bit of searching.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #951
msa6

No noise from the thing today...maybe I hit the right bump in the road on the way to work!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #952
steve.325i

Quote:
No noise from the thing today...maybe I hit the right bump in the road on the way to work!
Good, because I have searched & I can't (easily) find any reference to what I was talking about.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #953
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Android 2.2 Voice Dial

Does anyone know if Android 2.2 or higher now supports Voice Dial? Will steering wheel Voice Dial work? I'm thinking about switching to an Evo Shift 4G and don't want to lose the Voice Dial functionality that I currently have with my HTC Touch Pro (WM 6.5).
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #954
bobafuzz

My Ride: 330xi
Android 2.2 and up does support bluetooth voice dialing, but there is a pairing issue with Android devices and the CK3000 if you don't have the latest firmware on the CK3000, version 5.25C, you might not be able to connect and pair successfully. I recommend either upgrading your firmware or check to make sure you can pair and connect before you buy the Evo.
bobafuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #955
barambulli

My Ride: E46 320d
Congratulations! This is a brilliant post. It made me order the kit.

I have a question I hope somebody can help me with:

My e46 has the old telecoms kit already installed, which I don't want to use since I would have to use a Motorola V series, but since the OEM microphone is already there, I was wondering whether I could use it with the parrot setup. This would be ideal as I would not have to do any wiring and also from what I hear, the OEM mic is better than parrot's.
Does anyone know where the other end of the OEM mic wire is, and if it could be used with the Ck3000?

Many thanks.

Last edited by barambulli; 07-14-2011 at 03:01 AM.
barambulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #956
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
What an awesome write-up! I did this a couple of months ago on my car and it was a piece of cake. It did take about 45 minutes. Shipping the connects2 from the UK took 2 weeks though. Parts off of eBay totaled to $125 with shipping. The hardest part was probably just moving some of the wiring to the center vent area. The removal of the center vent was somewhat easy though. I already knew that I needed to pull that sh!t really hard so I just wedged a flathead screwdriver underneath it then popped it out. Everything worked just fine with my AT&T iPhone 4 and VoiceControl is pretty cool too. And I kept the mic in the OEM location and everyone can hear me perfectly as long my AC is on low. Thanks again delmarco!
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #957
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Installed couple weeks ago. Very good write up. The parrot is directional mic and I think it could sound better if its pointing directly towards the driver.

E46 Rocks
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #958
steve.325i

Actually, the Parrot comes with a cheap condenser mic that is faked out to be unidirectional with the plastic shrouding around it. True directional mic's cost a whole lot more and typically have some form of dsp power involved.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/condenser.html
http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/directional-characteristics.html

If you would like to increase the sensitivity of the mic in the oem position, you might want to try removing the mic from the plastic (as parrot ships it) and sitting it behind a thin piece of foam.

That said, I haven't done this. My new position for my mic is top-left of my rear view mirror.

Last edited by steve.325i; 07-17-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #959
exobrute

My Ride: 325i
Would this also work to play music through bluetooth? Like can you pair it and play your music from your iphone to the cars speakers
Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #960
rmodys

My Ride: 2001 325i
I did the install a few days ago, definitely worth it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by exobrute View Post
Would this also work to play music through bluetooth? Like can you pair it and play your music from your iphone to the cars speakers
Nope, just phone calls. I actually accidentally triggered a voice command to play an artist the other day, the Parrot kept the phone up long enough to figure out it wasn't a phone call and then disconnected.
rmodys is offline   Reply With Quote