E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
AtTheBar

My Ride: 2002 325XI
Autozone reman cv axle?

Anyone have experience with aoutzone cv axles?

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App
AtTheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
There's a chance they could be the flavor FP Groton sells. These Chinese buggers are known to be sub-standard quality. A foreign manufacture would be tricky to track down but you could order them in, peek in the box for country of origin and walk away paying a restock fee if they scare you. I've read where guys have had their axles rebuilt with success. I doubt there's many aftermarket makers out there? You get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Kubica

Just go to Napa and get a cardone.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
markusvt

My Ride: 330xi
If you return a cheap one for the core, and it gets rebuilt, no way to know what the real source of your rebuilt core was? Do we assume they toss the non BMW? Hum, no way to know easily on the rebuilts......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Just go to Napa and get a cardone.
markusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
srm5161

My Ride: 325xi
I have about 20,000 miles on my auto zone axle and everything is fine. No rips in the boot at all and I haven't noticed anything with the axle itself. Just a note my car is also lowered too...however when I did mine I was lookin for a cheap quick fix. If I had the money and time I would have spent more money for something more reliable. But overall I'm pleased with mine
srm5161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
AtTheBar

After much research, I decided to give the FCP Groton axle a try for my passenger side. I didn't want to do a reman and give up my OEM axle as a core. I can not find a GKN axle anywhere in stock. I'm thinking about having it rebuilt and keeping it on hand in case the FCP axle gives out sooner than expected. I will report back after I complete this project.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
White_Knuckles

Dude, check post #2 where I was specifically warning you. On the general site, I think "WhiteXI" went through three of the FCP G. axles and properly condemned EVERYTHING from them. Complete Chinese junk. You get what you pay for. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
AtTheBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Dude, check post #2 where I was specifically warning you. On the general site, I think "WhiteXI" went through three of the FCP G. axles and properly condemned EVERYTHING from them. Complete Chinese junk. You get what you pay for. Good luck.
I figured I'd give it shot and see if it will hold up until I can get my current axle rebuit. I'm checking with Raxles to see if I can send it in to them for rebuilding.

Last edited by AtTheBar; 06-15-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheBar View Post
After much research, I decided to give the FCP Groton axle a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheBar View Post
After much research, I decided to give the FCP Groton axle a try.
^Is it twice as funny if I post it two times?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
White_Knuckles

Kub ... why yes I think it may be twice as funny. However, the joke's on the buyer of that knock-off junk. Tee-Hee.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E39 / 2011 M3
Hi Guys -

Sorry to hear that someone had bad results with axles he got from us. Much like many other major suppliers, we source our parts from similar manufacturers.

However, not withstanding, we are working hard on monitoring our quality and also note that all our axles are covered by a Lifetime warranty as well.

Cheers!
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
Hi Guys -

Sorry to hear that someone had bad results with axles he got from us. Much like many other major suppliers, we source our parts from similar manufacturers.

However, not withstanding, we are working hard on monitoring our quality and also note that all our axles are covered by a Lifetime warranty as well.

Cheers!
Don't forget about your xi control arms. I know someone who tried them too. . .
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
AtTheBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
Hi Guys -

Cheers!
I'm giving your axles a shot since there is no core and a lifetime warranty. Free shipping also helps.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
For what it is worth... I have about a year and a half (maybe 10k) on my cheap FEQ axle and there is nothing wrong with it... I think I paid $80 for it from Parts Geek. I could replace it 3 times and still not have equaled the cost of a BMW re-manufactured one.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
I bought FP groton Axles and have no problems. Installed last August and still going.....otherwise I will be using my LIFETIME garuntee.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Kubica

^Yeah, all the Chinese axles don't fail- they just seem to fail about 10x the normal rate.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
WilliSverige

My Ride: '98 Volvo V70 AWD M
Does Empi make axles for the 325xi?? A lot of us in the Volvo world use them for replacement axles on the cheap and have had great success with them. I also like the quality of their rebuild kits overall - they are 1/3 the price of the Volvo kits and I haven't had a problem with anything from Empi aside from one boot tearing most likely because it got pinched a bit when I installed one of the clamps.

If they do make an application for the 325xi, FCP should stock those instead of the FEQ brand.
WilliSverige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
I have no problems with mine yet. 80 from autozone after core
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote