E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #21
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer94 View Post
So do you have to do an oil change after the seafoam? Ive heard both ways and dont want to do it unless Im completely sure
You only do an immediate oil change (i.e. within 100 miles) if you add Seafoam to the crankcase. This is a way to clean the engine internals when you are planning an oil change.
When you run Seafoam through the Secondary air valve you don't need to change the oil, you will see the Seafoam and carbon deposits burn off in the white smoke.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
kelis_ac

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
You only do an immediate oil change (i.e. within 100 miles) if you add Seafoam to the crankcase. This is a way to clean the engine internals when you are planning an oil change.
When you run Seafoam through the Secondary air valve you don't need to change the oil, you will see the Seafoam and carbon deposits burn off in the white smoke.
Make Sense..
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
veener88

My Ride: 2000 323i
Please check your hose! When pouring in the seafoam I saw a leak. It was about the size of a pin head. I replaced the hose. When I went to pull it off it was completly drie rotted from the inside. I have not even seen a hose this bad in the restoration jobs I have done and some of those hoses were still OEM from the 60's.
veener88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
redwood77

My Ride: e46
is there any way to do this with the engine hot?
redwood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
^ No, Secondary pump only comes on at cold start.
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #26
bli1348

My Ride: 325xi
Seafoam not flowing down

The air pump's working since I can feel the airflow after I disconnected the hose. But the seafoam stayed in the hose after even 3 5-sec cold start. I left the seafoam in the hose, drove around, parked around overnight for it to soak in, but the seafoam's still mostly there the next day!

Does this mean I have bad valve or vac line? How do I make sure the seafoam gets in to rid the likely blockage before I can diagnose other issues
bli1348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by bli1348 View Post
The air pump's working since I can feel the airflow after I disconnected the hose. But the seafoam stayed in the hose after even 3 5-sec cold start. I left the seafoam in the hose, drove around, parked around overnight for it to soak in, but the seafoam's still mostly there the next day!

Does this mean I have bad valve or vac line? How do I make sure the seafoam gets in to rid the likely blockage before I can diagnose other issues
You probably have either:
A bad vacuum hose
a plugged valve
or both.

I just replaced the entire vacuum line from the vacuum valve on the rear of the intake manifold to the Secondary Air Valve on the front of the cylinder head.

The best thing to do is to remove the cabin air filter housing, the coil cover, and the fuel injector cover. That way you can see the entire vacuum hose/line assembly. My vacuum hose was broken, as was my vacuum hard line. You can get the part numbers from the Real OEM site, and the parts run about 25 bucks.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
33beto

My Ride: 08 328i Sedan(R.I.P)
Send a message via AIM to 33beto
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Could this procedure kill my 100K miles O2 sensors? I need to replace them after that?
33beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
This procedure will not harm your O2 sensors.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
Coupe E36

My Ride: E36 325is/E46 330ci
thanks for the tip.. will definitely print this page out for this wknd fix.. thanks again!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #31
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
let me get the straight.
1- unplug the hose
2- pour sea foam in hose
3- while hose is unplugged run the car for 5 sec OR do i plug the hose back on?
4- repeat this 3 times at least.
5- plug everything back together.
6- expect white smoke.

let me know thanks guys!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
jtshawtek

My Ride: 2001 330i
Gotta Love the SeaFoam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx_x View Post
So two days after the seafoam treatment and my check engine light is off...

Thanks xi_ter for the tip
2001 330i/145k....Had really rough idle. Changed Oil, Cleaned K&N, Performed Seafoam Treatment as explained in this thread. INSTANT FIX! Thanks to all!
jtshawtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
j_block

Did this today and poured the seafoam...turned car on for a couple of seconds then went back to check...seafoam still in there...did it a couple more times to see if it will go down...nothing coming out the secondary air pump...is there suppose to be air coming out? Or is it possible that I let the car warm up too much for it to work?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
jtshawtek

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_block View Post
Did this today and poured the seafoam...turned car on for a couple of seconds then went back to check...seafoam still in there...did it a couple more times to see if it will go down...nothing coming out the secondary air pump...is there suppose to be air coming out? Or is it possible that I let the car warm up too much for it to work?

I did it with my car cold. Sat overnight and seafoamed first thing in the AM b4 the sun
jtshawtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #35
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
My SES light is on as well and having some rought idling once in a while with the cold start. Went to a mechanic shop and got the codes read and they suggested cleaning my fuel system. They recommended something other than seafoam due to it being harsher, possibly more corrosive. I wasnt too sure what to think of his advice so was wondering what you guys think. I did however buy some gumout and put it in my fuel tank. Before I try this I just want a good solid answer to whether seafoam could harm my car.
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #36
j_block

As far as I know...seafoam won't harm anything in your car

Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #37
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
awesome. I will give it a try then
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
EVMadman

My Ride: 944
I just did this the other day and it seemed to work. My car wasn't having any big problems, I just had some SeaFoam and thought I'd give it a try. The car has 82k on the clock. There was one complication, the hose was rotted near the bottom and I had to replace it before I could do the procedure. But everything worked as expected with the new hose, with one exception.

When I fired up the car to burn off the SeaFoam, all the white smoke was coming out the driver side exhaust pipe, but not the other. Does this mean the ports in the exhaust chamber are plugged on one bank? I drove the car for over 30 miles after the treatment and it ran like a champ. But the following day the car threw a P0174 code. Still runs great though.

So, could the SeaFoam treatment affect the O2 sensor? Could all the SeaFoam have gone into one bank only? Which bank exhausts through the drivers side tailpipe?

I'm hoping some of the SeaFoam may have worked it's way into the carbon buildup on the other bank and another treatment will clear it out. Also, I haven't checked all my hoses for vacuum leaks, a possible cause of the P0174, but if it was a vacuum problem wouldn't I throw a P0171 also?

Thanks

DAC
EVMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #39
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
My car has been throwing P1421 the past week or so. I cleared it last week and put about 500 miles on the car and it didn't come back on until today. I just bought my can of seafoam and will be doing this treatment later on tonight when the car is cold. I already replaced my hose because it had a large hole in it, so we'll see if this does anything.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
have the same codes, going to try seafoaming it