E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #441
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
So when is the new "garage" going to be actually emptied of boxes and setup the way an actual garage is supposed to be?

Anything less than Mclaren's standards and I will be disappoint.
Haha, do want.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #442
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
WHY YOU DON'T COMPRESS! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #443
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Thanks for reminding me why I never reinstall OEM springs!
Glad we finally got it done, though.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #444
sellsellsell2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Thanks for reminding me why I never reinstall OEM springs!
Glad we finally got it done, though.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #445
sellsellsell2000

I HATE OEM Springs!

Makes me wanna

BMW /// 323i

Old 06-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #446
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
oh Kalim... wearing gloves what a sissy
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #447
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsellsell2000 View Post
I HATE OEM Springs!

Makes me wanna

Quote:
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #448
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
Harmful chemicals.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #449
cyberkaa

Well, I haven't updated again in a bit, but there's been a lot going on in the last few weeks...

First, I moved to Sunnyvale, so the major garage work came to a halt for a couple of weeks while I moved, but there were a few small projects (coding, E39 camshaft position sensor replacement, etc.) I took on here and there. Now that I've finally unpacked some of the tools, work has been picking up again.

Last Tuesday, I helped a coworker out with a VCG and power steering reservoir o-ring replacement in his 5spd 2003 325i. The VCG was gushing oil from two of the four nut seals in the center and the gasket was hardening and seeping in other spots, so we replaced the whole set. I also did an inspection to see if anything else in the engine bay needed attention and luckily, everything checked out. He was back today for a taillight ground fix and let me take the car for a test drive to get anything else out of the way before he starts taking some road trips. We determined that the FCABs are definitely in need of replacement and the rear end is a bit unstable, so RTABs are probably on the way out, too, with about 78000 miles on the car now. There's also a little slack in the drive train, which is most likely coming from a worn differential bushing.

On Saturday, Jason (sellsellsell2000, above), came by for a ZHP suspension upgrade. The rears went on very quickly, but the front suspension turned into a nightmare once we tried to install the OEM springs. The manual screw-type compressors I had borrowed from Kragen/O'Reilly Didn't have enough reach so they wouldn't compress the springs small enough to fit the strut hat back on. After a couple of hours of struggling with different methods, we decided to find a shop that was still open at 5:30pm. Luckily, one shop was, but even their wall-mounted compressor couldn't do it. So we came back, struggled some more, and then decided to run over to Harbor Freight before they closed to see if they had some better tools. They didn't have the massive hydraulic spring compressor, but they did have a large single action manual one that just barely fit the spring. We assembled it and 5 minutes later, the spring was compressed and on the strut! We noticed during our very late test drive that there was a popping noise coming from the front over bumps, so we'll try and take care of that tomorrow. The suspension itself seemed to work really nicely, though.

On Sunday, I went over to another coworker's place to help him install a BBK on his LS6 (formerly LS1)-swapped track miata. We managed to get the rotors and calipers installed on all four corners. While we were removing the smaller Wilwood brake kit that was installed previously, we yanked the e-brake system out to save some weight. We also pulled some brake line out to redo the system with a bigger master and to relocate the F/R brake proportioning valve from under the hood to the cockpit for on-the-fly adjustments. Hoping to have that ready before the next track day at Laguna Seca.

More projects coming up (E90 LSD install, E30 rear wheel bearings). I might even post pictures if I can figure out where I packed my camera, haha. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #450
junkiekommando

My Ride: 02 330i, 91 318is

But

junkiekommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #451
cyberkaa

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #452
sellsellsell2000

Thank you again Kalim!

Excellent Idea on torquing down on OEM suspension without using 'BMW TIS - 31 2 210 Socket wrench socket WAF 21' (Socket wrench socket WAF 21 )

You are a GENIUS!

BMW /// 323i

Last edited by sellsellsell2000; 06-08-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #453
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
LMAO!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #454
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsellsell2000 View Post
Thank you again Kalim!

Excellent Idea on torquing down on OEM suspension without using 'BMW TIS - 31 2 210 Socket wrench socket WAF 21' (Socket wrench socket WAF 21 )

You are a GENIUS!

[IMGhttp://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/sellsellsell2000/Labor0001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/sellsellsell2000/Labor0002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/sellsellsell2000/Labor0003.jpg[/IMG]
No problem, man.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #455
sellsellsell2000

This is so 'TOOL of the Week'.

BMW /// 323i

Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #456
cyberkaa

Special tools?! We don't need no special tools!

Well, maybe just a few. Haha

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #457
cyberkaa

A lot of stuff has been going on at the garage lately. A couple of weekends ago, I installed a Wavetrac LSD in a 2007 4dr 335i for skinrock over on e90post. Also helped my friend/coworker fit some new brake lines in the track miata project car.

This past Satruday, I did an inspection and diagnosis on a 1993 E32 740i with the venerable M60B40 V8. It's currently running with a rough idle and missing sporadically throughout the RPM range. Found some loose plugs and oil leaking past the seals. Culprit looks to be a couple of bad valve cover gaskets. Also, a loud groaning noise from the rear of the engine and insane amount of vacuum in the crankcase seems to indicate a failed CCV.

Cmach and crazyxzer0 stopped by with cmach's newly purchased 1990 E30 325i. We took most of the afternoon tracking down a current drain that's pulling ~300mA from the battery. We systematically ripped almost everything out on the two offending fuses (one at 210mA, the other around 90mA), but were unable to find the cause before the 15A ammeter fuse popped. Very strange.

On Sunday, I picked up another S54 for yet another potential project. I then headed over to Ervin87's place for a little maintenance on his newly purchased E30 325i (it's a fad). First off, we got a valve adjustment out of the way. 3 out of 12 valves were slightly out of spec so we sorted those out. Next we disassembled the cooling system, removed belts, pulleys, timing covers, etc. to flush the engine block and change the water pump, timing belt, camshaft seal, and a few miscellaneous items. We're waiting for a few parts before reassembly in a few days.

Other than that, I'm waiting for rear wheel bearings and a tool to arrive for my own E30, which should get taken care of next weekend.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #458
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
I'm exhausted from just reading about all the work done!
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #459
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Playing mechanic is no joke! The hardest is figuring things out; working around...using no special tools!

As cars get older, parts mechanics have never seen before will break and they have to figure things out from what they knew from before, and in some cases, the lousy directions they might get from a variety of sources.

I've seen Kalim work, and although I know he knows a lot more than I do, I saw him take the same care I take when i work on my car...except I don't need no gloves!

...and yet, still no four-door M for him yet! I think someone should talk with McLaren about getting his a corner in its garage so he can quietly finish his build!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #460
cyberkaa

Haha. I'm unfortunately working out of bigger house with a much smaller garage now, so space is a limiting factor. The garage cleanup+organization and E30 work next weekend is all so I can have some space to work and a car to drive while I take care of the 4dr M3 project.

Quote:

Tags
epic