E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
AR Options - looking for opinions

So I’m looking for some advice. I recently finished a new lower build with billet receiver. I thought that I had a plan in place, but now I’m changing my mind. I would really like to match it up to a billet upper receiver. I like everything about my current upper that came from a M&P15T (Troy folding sights, troy rail, chrome lined barrel, etc). Even though the barrel is a 1:9 twist and not “mil-spec”, I only ever use 55g so it’s in line with my use. So I currently have a complete M&PT and a complete billet lower including buffer tube and stock.

Scenario One:
Keep the M&P as it is.
Build a new complete upper (barrel, rails, upper receiver, buis) and mount it to the billet lower.
This would give me two complete ARs, both in 556.

Scenario Two:*
Swap out the M&P forged upper receiver for the billet and mount it to my new billet lower.
Pick up a complete .22 upper and mount it to the leftover M&P lower.*
This would give me two complete ARs in two different calibers.

I know what I would like to do, but I thought that I would ask for opinions on other options.

Last edited by Serbonze; 06-23-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
broke my keyboard?
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Trying to post from iPone sucks.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I would opt for Scenario 1.

I would recommend sticking with Quentin Defense for the upper, as they are made to interface together. As an alternative, I would recommend looking into the VLTOR MUR. The MUR is forged, but it looks billet and is thicker and heavier than a normal forged upper. The other option is to get a billet upper in mil-spec configuration, such as the LaRue STEALTH upper.

If you want a .22LR AR, get one that is a dedicated platform. The M&P15-22 is a great option, as is the HK/Umarex 416 .22. They're more reliable and less problematic than doing an upper or a conversion kit.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

I would recommend sticking with Quentin Defense for the upper, as they are made to interface together. As an alternative, I would recommend looking into the VLTOR MUR. The MUR is forged, but it looks billet and is thicker and heavier than a normal forged upper. The other option is to get a billet upper in mil-spec configuration, such as the LaRue STEALTH upper.

If you want a .22LR AR, get one that is a dedicated platform. The M&P15-22 is a great option, as is the HK/Umarex 416 .22. They're more reliable and less problematic than doing an upper or a conversion kit.
Glad you think that about the m&p 15-22. Just ordered the 15-22 MOE edition in FDE today. Just gotta wait for somebody to find one
but i'm
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Glad you think that about the m&p 15-22. Just ordered the 15-22 MOE edition in FDE today. Just gotta wait for somebody to find one
but i'm
I have heard TONS of accolades for the M&P15-22. From everything that I've heard from the professional side of then fence, it's the best offering on the market right now.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I actually had a 15-22, but I sold it. Although the function is very similar to the standard AR, it really doesn't feel like it.

It was a great rifle and I never had a problem with it, but at the time I wanted to fund another project and it was really easy to sell.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

If I go with option one, I was planning on going with the QD upper. It doesn't have M4 feed ramps, but neither does the LaRue. However, since I wouldn't be assembling the upper myself I can have ADCO machine them in. I was also going to go with a Daniel Defense barrel, and either the Daniel Defense or Troy Rails, although I'll probably end up with a Troy rail for the cost savings. Sights - I don't know yet.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
If I go with option one, I was planning on going with the QD upper. It doesn't have M4 feed ramps, but neither does the LaRue. However, since I wouldn't be assembling the upper myself I can have ADCO machine them in. I was also going to go with a Daniel Defense barrel, and either the Daniel Defense or Troy Rails, although I'll probably end up with a Troy rail for the cost savings. Sights - I don't know yet.
As long as you have feed ramps on the barrel extension, you're fine. My 7.5" PSD has M4 ramps on the Noveske barrel, but the upper is an A3, so no feed ramps. I have some wear on it, but nothing critical. Still, I would opt for ramps. Machining feed ramps in isn't difficult either if you choose to have that done. That won't cost you too much money then.
While I like DD rails, I think that Troy rails are a better bargain. I was seriously considering Troy for my last build, but the troy rails are much heavier than the DD rails. For a rifle that was going to be my primary training rifle, I wanted as little weight as possible. I have a Troy MRF on my SPR, and it's solid as a rock and right in spec. For the cost savings, you can't beat a TRX or MRF rail. You lose nothing in build quality or durability, you just get a heavier rail (unless you get the TRX Extreme).

Troy BattleSights are probably the best I've used. They have several configurations that fit every rifle system. Otherwise, Diamondhead, PRI and Samson have good sights too. A.R.M.S. #40L-SP sights are fantastic, but unfortunately ARMS does not sell front sights to accompany the rears. If you fancy fixed irons, Daniel Defense and Troy make the best.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I really like the Troy products, that's why I was thinking about scenario two and just using what I have.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
yea im definately looking into the M&P15-22 and would LOVE to find one used somewhere. from what i hear they are great rifles.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
E92M

My Ride: '08 M3 | '03 R6
Subscribed for more info on the S&W M&P15-22.

Could be interested in a new fun plinking rifle.
-Chris