E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #21
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
The first two people in that video are one of the main things that I truly dislike about crossfit.
I actually didn't even listen to the video i just watched quickly. What did they say or do?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 855
My Ride: S2000
http://www.forgingelitesarcasm.com/2....html#more-635
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
can you guys explain why they don't use the weights i'm used to seeing. glight, pretty sure you have those style. Are they heavier/Olympic style?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 855
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
can you guys explain why they don't use the weights i'm used to seeing. glight, pretty sure you have those style. Are they heavier/Olympic style?
are you referring to the brightly colored Olympic plates? They're actually less dense, they can bounce on the ground...

Someone explain why the Crossfitters aren't just an extension of hipster eliteness? All this talk about paleo diets, who decided cavemen were the strongest of all mankind? WTF is wrong with fruit? were tropical cavemen weaker than midwest cavemen??
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
are you referring to the brightly colored Olympic plates? They're actually less dense, they can bounce on the ground...

Someone explain why the Crossfitters aren't just an extension of hipster eliteness? All this talk about paleo diets, who decided cavemen were the strongest of all mankind? WTF is wrong with fruit? were tropical cavemen weaker than midwest cavemen??
ohh i see.

I thought you could eat fruit on paleo diets. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm really getting interested in these types of workouts/diets. After dropping the fat I wanted to, I'm looking into setting my garage up into a very simple weight room. I have a weight bench and I think if I picked up a squat rack I'd be good to go for what I plan.

where can you buy those types of weights?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
They can bounce solly.

Wtf dont believe in fruit? They are fruits.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 855
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
They can bounce solly.

Wtf dont believe in fruit? They are fruits.
http://crossfitmeanstreets.com/2010/...s-sunday-mass/
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
are you referring to the brightly colored Olympic plates? They're actually less dense, they can bounce on the ground...

Someone explain why the Crossfitters aren't just an extension of hipster eliteness? All this talk about paleo diets, who decided cavemen were the strongest of all mankind? WTF is wrong with fruit? were tropical cavemen weaker than midwest cavemen??
Thats kind of what its become, or at least the presence you see on the internet at least. The affiliate I go to on occasion has mostly just ordinary people that work normal jobs and arent hipsters at all. They are just people that wanted a different kind of workout than going to a normal gym and doing three sets of ten on 6 different machines and then doing the elliptical for 30 minutes.

A lot of the stuff you are mentioning is the stuff spouted by the typical CF d-bag out there. The same kind you get in every crowd.

Like I've said before. I like that CF has brought power and olympic lifting to the masses and gotten people out of the mind set that you have to run 5 miles 5 times a week, but the rest of it, no thanks.

I'll stick to lifting heavy, running fast, and eating meat and natural foods (fruit included).
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
fugarza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20
My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
are you referring to the brightly colored Olympic plates? They're actually less dense, they can bounce on the ground...

Someone explain why the Crossfitters aren't just an extension of hipster eliteness? All this talk about paleo diets, who decided cavemen were the strongest of all mankind? WTF is wrong with fruit? were tropical cavemen weaker than midwest cavemen??
There are a studies done on hunter gathers (paleo eaters) vs farmers that we're located in the same region. Through bone analysis the hunter gatherers we're shown to be stronger, taller, and have less health issues then the farmers who relied upon agriculture for their main source of food.
__________________
He's so Haole he doesn't even know he's Haole.

Last edited by fugarza; 06-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.
fugarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #31
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
ohh i see.

I thought you could eat fruit on paleo diets. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm really getting interested in these types of workouts/diets. After dropping the fat I wanted to, I'm looking into setting my garage up into a very simple weight room. I have a weight bench and I think if I picked up a squat rack I'd be good to go for what I plan.

where can you buy those types of weights?
You can eat fruit on the paleo diet.

Yeah, if you had a squat rack you would be good to go.

They are called bumper weights. They are made of high compression rubber that you can drop without messing up your floor, the weights or your bar.

If I were you I would check out Rogue Fitness. They have really good deals most of the time and reasonable shipping prices.

If I were starting a home gym I would get a good bar (~$250) a pair of 45lb bumpers plate (~$125) and a pair of 25lb bumper plates (~$70). Then you can add in iron plates from craigslist to get to the weight that you need.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,816
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
ohh i see.

I thought you could eat fruit on paleo diets. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm really getting interested in these types of workouts/diets. After dropping the fat I wanted to, I'm looking into setting my garage up into a very simple weight room. I have a weight bench and I think if I picked up a squat rack I'd be good to go for what I plan.

where can you buy those types of weights?
My g/f just started the paleo diet, and it's so damn restrictive. You can barely eat ANYTHING.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #33
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
You can eat fruit on the paleo diet.

Yeah, if you had a squat rack you would be good to go.

They are called bumper weights. They are made of high compression rubber that you can drop without messing up your floor, the weights or your bar.

If I were you I would check out Rogue Fitness. They have really good deals most of the time and reasonable shipping prices.

If I were starting a home gym I would get a good bar (~$250) a pair of 45lb bumpers plate (~$125) and a pair of 25lb bumper plates (~$70). Then you can add in iron plates from craigslist to get to the weight that you need.
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
My g/f just started the paleo diet, and it's so damn restrictive. You can barely eat ANYTHING.
is it really? I thought it was pretty diverse.

Basically avoid sh1tty processed foods while eating lots of fat protein right?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
thanks man



is it really? I thought it was pretty diverse.

Basically avoid sh1tty processed foods while eating lots of fat protein right?
He probably means how its almost impossible to go out to eat and be totally strict (at least at first before you've found your go to places)
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #35
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
He probably means how its almost impossible to go out to eat and be totally strict (at least at first before you've found your go to places)
I can definitely see that. My diet is definitely hard too. Do you have cheat days on the paleo diet?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #36
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Solly can I ask what's wrong with just a regular diet?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #37
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Solly can I ask what's wrong with just a regular diet?
For me, the carbs make me either gain fat or hold fat unless I cut them out. even when I got lazy and stopped p90x I still maintained. In the past if I got lazy and continued the regular good diet, I gained fat. I'll probably include oats, sweet potatoes again soon but for now I don't. Just personal preference I guess.

Last edited by DylloS; 06-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I can definitely see that. My diet is definitely hard too. Do you have cheat days on the paleo diet?
Not really. I dont follow it very strict anymore. I just try to incorporate as many of the principle as I can while still keeping it practical for every day life.

The idea is to go for 30 days strict and you will lose your cravings for the things you think you want now. That was definitely the case when I went strict on it last August. I had no desire whatsoever to eat cake, brownies, etc. I had stuff like that on a few occasions and it made me want it again. Same went with bread, cheese, etc.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Solly can I ask what's wrong with just a regular diet?
What do you mean by a regular diet?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #40
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 855
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Great link from the Paleo Diet site: Fruits and Sugars Table

Here's some more info...
Fruit is an area where some of the low-carb diets part company, as some depend more upon glycemic index or glycemic load (Paleo, Zone), while others just look at total carbs (Atkins, Protein Power). Also, some diets (Atkins, South Beach) don't allow fruit at all in the first phase. In general, your best bet fruits are the ones near the top of this list, but do check carb counts as well. These are roughly arranged by sugar content -
Ok, so some more googling says Paleo can eat fruit, but since they try to limit sugars in the body, they either specify low sugar fruits and/or fruit in moderation.

So eat more blackberries, blueberries and rhubarb instead of mango, banana or apple..
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use