E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #121
FFWD

My Ride: 99 323i, 01 M3 Cab
I finally started this DIY on my 1999 323i (10/98 build). I opted for the 64-11-3-453-729 part number. The replacement fan I got came with the plastic bracket that it sits in and that the metal clip secures it to. It's different from the one that came with the car originally, so I replace that too. Other than that, I also had to remove the engine cover that covers the spark plugs/coils to make room for the fan to come out of the passenger side of the engine compartment. Biggest problem now is getting the clip back on. It doesn't seem to want to catch the bottom flange. I'll keep trying and post an update.
FFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #122
FFWD

Ok, I'm finally done, and the new fan is working great! Big thanks to everyone's input on this thread, but especially paraklas for starting it and TitaniumCranium for confirming the alternative (cheaper) part number works.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #123
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
I ordered the blower w/cover and have it sitting in my apt. No rush as I lived with this sporadic sound for a few years in WTF land, until finding the remedy on e46! I bet if I took it to a dealer they would've told me $500 to make the sound disappear.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #124
wërkahölik

My Ride: wants BBS's
Replaced my blower with a new one from Tischer thanks to everyone's help in this thread!! Cricket sound was completely gone and the fan was nice and quiet. I could easily tell the bearing in the old fan was shot because I couldnt even turn the blades by hand, whereas they spin very freely on the new unit. HOWEVER, after a month or so of nice quiet operation, i'm getting crickets again. Maybe not as loud as before and the pitch is higher, but its the same noise. Could the new blower be defective? I'm not sure how it could have been fine for a few weeks and is now making noise
wërkahölik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #125
OrientBlau

I hope mine doesnt return after replacement. Is there some sort of silicone lubricant we can use before installing?

Whats weird is that if I ask pax if they hear it (with radio off), and they dont notice it at all. Drives m crazy, though!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #126
AnRman

My Ride: 2002 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
I hope mine doesnt return after replacement. Is there some sort of silicone lubricant we can use before installing?

Whats weird is that if I ask pax if they hear it (with radio off), and they dont notice it at all. Drives m crazy, though!
I would refrain from using any kind of lubricant because of attracting and holding dust.
AnRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #127
FFWD

The beauty of going with an original BMW part is that you have a full two year unlimited mileage warranty on the part (at least up here in Canada). Are you sure the cricket sound is coming from the new blower? Apparently there's also an internal recirculation fan under the dash that can also make the noise. Search around and you'll find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wërkahölik View Post
Replaced my blower with a new one from Tischer thanks to everyone's help in this thread!! Cricket sound was completely gone and the fan was nice and quiet. I could easily tell the bearing in the old fan was shot because I couldnt even turn the blades by hand, whereas they spin very freely on the new unit. HOWEVER, after a month or so of nice quiet operation, i'm getting crickets again. Maybe not as loud as before and the pitch is higher, but its the same noise. Could the new blower be defective? I'm not sure how it could have been fine for a few weeks and is now making noise
Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #128
druggrepp

My Ride: 325ci 2001
replace the brushes

From what my master tech tells me, the brushes die and that is the clicking noise you are hearing and IF you want you can just replace the brushes and save the motor and soak the bearings while it is out.
druggrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #129
FFWD

Has anyone tried this on a left hand drive E46 M3? I was thinking of helping a friend with his, but based on a post on M3F, some guy followed this thread and got to the motor but couldn't get it out. They think the M3 motor sits higher or something. Maybe they didn't take off the engine cover? Would be nice to know of any issues before we tear into it. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #130
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Ack. I just dropped mine while in the box and the blades broke on one side. It says its a behr, does anyone know if the fan blades are replaceable?
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #131
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
I need to do this to mine, I am planning on getting the $100 fan, but I noticed on the last page here someone said something was different and had to replace that too, I think it was the first post of page 7 or near there.. also someone else mentioned they bought the fan and the cover.. is the cover different? Does it need to be replaced? Is there anything I'll need besides the fan? I have the factory alarm, does the siren have to come off to get the fan out from the pass. side? Thanks!
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #132
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
No need to touch the siren. And even if you do want to take it out, it's just a bolt and a connector
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #133
TommyGun

My Ride: 318i EXE
Does the Ticher 64-11-3-453-729 also fit on the 318i Sedan from '99? It's not listed on their site... thanks!
TommyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #134
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
also someone else mentioned they bought the fan and the cover.. is the cover different? Does it need to be replaced?
This is somehting different than the center blower.

A cricket sound develops by the foot pedal area. The CPU fan bearings begin to make a chirping noise.

The unit itself is called the "cover with blower," and its sold as one single unit. They can not be bought separately.

Photo belowfrom ECSTuning.com

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2519/ES32182/

Last edited by OrientBlau; 04-11-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #135
jr81

My Ride: Bought 330Cic
I just bought the blower with cover and replaced it yesterday. Overall it took 25mins and the cricket noise is now gone. The hardest part was reinstalling the connector plug on to the bracket in the CPU housing.
jr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #136
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
That would be great but the sound is coming from the hvac.. when I turn the blower off it goes away..
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #137
floyd956

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
My a/c did the exact same thing yours did. I have power and a hint of cold air comes out when driving. Did yours turn out to be the Final stage Transistor or the Fan?
floyd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #138
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
I am still a little confused with what the possible cricket noise could be coming from. A few people have mentioned there is another blower on the driver's side. If I hear the cricket noise mostly from the driver's side vent, and I hear nothing from the center, would I assume that it if the blower with cover that people have talked about?
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #139
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by association16 View Post
I am still a little confused with what the possible cricket noise could be coming from. A few people have mentioned there is another blower on the driver's side. If I hear the cricket noise mostly from the driver's side vent, and I hear nothing from the center, would I assume that it if the blower with cover that people have talked about?
If the sound is generally a high-pitch whirling, buzzing, gurgling or "electronic" sound emanating from the drivers side vicinity (foot pedal or cluster area) and it is somewhat intermittent, then it is likely your "cover with blower."

The bearings get dry and begin to squeak, creating this noise.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #140
rkreimer10

My Ride: 2001 325i
I just bought my first bmw and have to say this forum is awesome, keep up the good work guys. I have been noticing a chirping in the center of my dash when my car first starts and the air kicks on or going from a higher speed fan setting to a lower one. Also when I shut the fans off i hear a gurgling or like water bubling in the center of my dash. Are these all the same symptoms that were cured by reaplacing the blower fan? thank you all for your help in advance. I did read the entire thread and am just looking for reassurance that replacing my blower motor is the proper fix
rkreimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower, fan