E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #461
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Haha. I'm unfortunately working out of bigger house with a much smaller garage now, so space is a limiting factor. The garage cleanup+organization and E30 work next weekend is all so I can have some space to work and a car to drive while I take care of the 4dr M3 project.
Nice! And I know all your buddies out there will help with cleaning, but not organizing!

Hope everything works out nicely there...despite the smaller garage. (Guess you couldn't find 'just' a garage with a bedroom annex, huh?)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #462
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Nice! And I know all your buddies out there will help with cleaning, but not organizing!

Hope everything works out nicely there...despite the smaller garage. (Guess you couldn't find 'just' a garage with a bedroom annex, huh?)
Thanks, Doug! I think the 2BR/1BA w/ 2 garages worked out better than this 3BR/2BA with "2"-car garage. If only I could find a way to get a car into the spare bedroom.
And yes, Miles has graciously volunteered to come over and help me acquire and set up some shelves (yet another advantage the old garage had).

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #463
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
It seems like you have lots of followers for your service. I dont feel comfortable giving my car to any hands but based on what I see, you do some great work and can put a smile on ppls faces.
Im expecting to do some major service to my car, you will be one of very few on top of my mind
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #464
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Thanks, Doug! I think the 2BR/1BA w/ 2 garages worked out better than this 3BR/2BA with "2"-car garage. If only I could find a way to get a car into the spare bedroom.
And yes, Miles has graciously volunteered to come over and help me acquire and set up some shelves (yet another advantage the old garage had).
You could jack a car up, put mdf underneath it and the jacks and yourself and raise the car into the bedroom. A reciprocating saw for the wall...which you'd caulk back together after the car is in.

You're welcome!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #465
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
It seems like you have lots of followers for your service. I dont feel comfortable giving my car to any hands but based on what I see, you do some great work and can put a smile on ppls faces.
Im expecting to do some major service to my car, you will be one of very few on top of my mind
Thanks for the kind words.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #466
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You could jack a car up, put mdf underneath it and the jacks and yourself and raise the car into the bedroom. A reciprocating saw for the wall...which you'd caulk back together after the car is in.

You're welcome!
Great idea. I'm not sure that'd go down well with the landlord, though.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #467
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Kalim, you only coded around in my lcm right?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #468
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
Kalim, you only coded around in my lcm right?
As far as I can recall, yes.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #469
cyberkaa

Jon (some of you may know him as kwlaznkid or shadyaznkid) just dropped by a little while ago to have the ignition switch we diagnosed as faulty last week replaced.
The symptoms we observed last week were:
-starter would run, but car wouldn't start
-fuel pump not running
-no lights in cluster except the position 1 stuff
-happened sporadically, but easy to reproduce
To put it another way, the car wouldn't register position 2. Pretty clear case of a bad ignition switch. Swapped it out and it works like it should every time.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #470
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Great idea. I'm not sure that'd go down well with the landlord, though.
If he comes by just tell him its a car bed for your son Alister
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #471
cyberkaa

Quote:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #472
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
yo how much for a CDV removal.

i dont want to kill myself using factory jacks
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #473
cyberkaa

lol. Hey Oscar, you back in the bay for summer?

Quote:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #474
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
yeaarrrrrr mannnn. working it 9-5pm lyfe in the SJ.

party animal here <---- -___-
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #475
cyberkaa

Quote:
Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #476
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
lol i didn't even know u had this thread.. kalin's auto garage ftw, ignition switch works perfectly

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #477
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlaznkid View Post
lol i didn't even know u had this thread.. kalin's auto garage ftw, ignition switch works perfectly
Yup, you're in it, haha.
A lot.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #478
cyberkaa

It was a scorching, but productive 4th of July weekend.

On Saturday, Oscar (omhl) came over for a CDV delete on his new-to-him E46 M3. Ended up flushing the the clutch hydraulics because the fluid looked worn out.
Rick was over as well to have his strut hats replaced. Unfortunately, we ran out of time and he headed back. Meanwhile, Miles and I spent the day running back and forth between Lowe's stores to find all the components to build some shelving in the garage. After we finally had all the pieces and assembled it, we organized the garage a little.

On Sunday afternoon, fellow E30 owners Eric and Nate came over to help out with my E30 rear wheel bearings. Not an easy job by far, but we were determined to get the job done in spite of the sweltering heat. The axles were relatively easy to drive out with a 2-jaw puller, but the SIR B90 hub and bearing extractor that I purchased for this job didn't work well for the rear hubs. The press would squeeze the parking brake shoes rather than the trailing arm, which was troublesome and my slide hammer backup plan unfortunately came to a halt because the foot would not fit the 4x100 bolt pattern hub. We decided to disassemble and remove the parking brake assembly and used some sockets as spacers to press on the trailing arm as we extracted the hubs. The hub on the left came off very easily without taking the inner bearing race with it (phew). The right hub with the very worn bearing wasn't as cooperative. Nate and I went out in search of a bearing splitter at 7pm on the Sunday before Independence Day. Needless to say, that didn't work out. Frustrated and nearly ready to give up and wait until morning, Nate came up with a genius/insane plan to use two vice grips to barely grip the lip of the inner race and the inner end of the spindle to pop the race off bit by bit by locking the vice grips. It worked! After 10 minutes of careful locking, the race was far enough off the spindle for a 2-jaw puller to pull it off. Apart from that, the extraction of the bearings and reassembly of the rear end went smoothly.

Today (Monday), DJ Reminisce (Kayvan) came over in the morning to have his blown OEM suspension replaced on his ZHP coupe with a Ground Control spring and shock setup. The rears went in without a hitch, but a stud on the strut hat on the driver's side broke free, rendering the hat unusable. We decided to hold off on the fronts as the new struts did not come with new hats and Kayvan would have to order new ones.
Later in the day, Rick and I took another look at his PSS10 setup, which we had confirmed to be an M3 setup instead of a non-M setup. Rick had purchased M3 strut hats to swap onto the struts in place of the ill-fitting non-M hats. The hats installed without too much trouble and even corrected the front camber. We'll have to add the correct support plates at a later time to get the strut shaft to sit properly, though.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #479
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
96,000 posts.

Holy mother of ****.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #480
cyberkaa

Quote:

Tags
epic