E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
sintax

My Ride: Commodore :(
newguy seeks advice

Hey all
I'll soon be in the market for another car, and am budgeting around 15-20k
obviously an e46 is very high on the wishlist, ideally, ill be getting a 2001 320ci in manual. I love the coupe and dont like the auto, however of course I will settle for the steptronic if it comes down to that or nothing.
I wonder if i could please get some advice:

I am concerned about the age of the 3 series in my price range and wanted to know what the ongoing maintenance for these cars are like at the 100-200k KM mark? are they expensive to keep going at this point? what major services or part failures occur for them in this window? Electronics still OK? Spare parts readily available?

Im thinking that, or a slightly newer SS commodore, SS for the power, commodore for the myopia and newer because that budget will score me something much newer than the BMW in the same area.
Though i know by this time the Commodore will be in need of some expensive maintenance.

I look forward to your counsel im sure it will make the decision easier.
Thanks in advance
~sin

EDIT: oops forgot to ask also, what is the general availability and price of an m-techII bodykit?

Last edited by sintax; 07-03-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: ask about bodykit
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
if you search about preventative maintenance you will find answers and what needs to be replaced, usually around 100k tho
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Are you able or willing to diy?

If not, then take about 40% off your budget and leave it for repairs.

If you can diy, then take about 25% off for repairs.

This forum is all about things that go wrong with the e46...except for the half of the posts that are from indecisive youngsters wanting to know whether MTechII,III,IV, V, VI, or VII; or black or silver; or how to make the car sound faster; or what size tires to get. The other half of posts answer your question.

Go older and larger engine...definitely manual, not step, not smg. Don't worry about the color of the car please...go for the one whose owner can produce repair bills...and if he or she says 'nothing ever failed; the car is perfect," I think I'd have to call bs and suggest you walk.

Oh, and back up a bit on the bodykit. Buy the car, spend 2 years bringing it back to its factory state, and then, if you still worry about how it looks, I'd recommend you stop looking at it and start driving it, and profit!

Not connecting with Commodore, but it sounds ugly!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup

Last edited by dmax; 07-03-2011 at 06:13 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
The BMW is in a completely different league to Aussie cars - I've been driving them for over 30 years. Last year I bought my first BMW - for my daughter. 11 months later, I bought another one for myself. It's like comparing cask wine to Grange - go the BMW!

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
jay67

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP vert
OP: if you don't like the automatic, don't get one. If you prefer a proper 3-pedal manual, that is what you should get. Be patient, you'll find the right car. The only time I'd bother with an automatic, would be if that was all BMW imported. For example, E34 5-series touring in the US was automatic only. In the late 90's, I was seriously considering buying a E34 touring, and converting it to a manual. When the E46 and E39 tourings came with manual transmissions, I patiently waited a few years until used ones came down in price to where I could afford, and got the 2000 323iT that I still have today.
Please see my parts and accessories (non-commercial) for sale here: http://home.comcast.net/~bmwmtech/Parts/
jay67 is offline   Reply With Quote