E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
keep car as is.. or keep going with ups. and a question.

ive got a clean 75k mi 2004 325i with zsp and zpp packages.. ive owned it for about 6 months and working on it and driving it has been really fun. im not super knowledgeable about car stuff but ive been doing my homework

ive done: shark injector, custom airbox mod and better air filter, shifter bushing and shorter shifter, some weight reduction, couple simple cosmetic things and some preventative maintenance

im content with my car as it is now.. but im considering lighter wheels, bimmerbrakes headers, and seats, and some other stuff. id love to do that.. but its not like im tracking my car or racing retards at lights. so im wondering if i should keep that money in case something ever breaks on my car. i plan on keeping it for a long time. maybe just wheels and call it a day? i dunno.. its like im at the point where i could keep my car as is and be fine.. but i feel like if i went any further id have to go all out (wheels, seats, drop, exhaust, CF hood, diff)

also.. if i keep making my car faster and more powerful, at what point will i have to worry about reinforcement, stronger clutch, better differential.. things like that? are there people that upgrade to a turbo/sc and keep their stock clutch and diff? just something ive been thinking about.
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29

Last edited by luc; 07-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
just do some preventative maintenance first
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
ive done: ... some preventative maintenance
basically ive done everything i need to do except cooling overhaul. but ill get to that
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
Old 07-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
j_block

have you done your vanos?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
luc

i was told that i would probably be ok as 04 and 05 didnt have any problems.. was i misinformed?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
j_block

after a while your vano seals will go bad, and may need some replacing in the future, you can still drive with bad vanos but will effect your performance a little, but other than that i think you will have fun modding your 325, but if anything ever happens to break or mess up, there are alot of DIY videos and pictures on this forum to fix them yourself to save you money

well im not sure about 04 or 05, but thats what i read about my 03 325

Last edited by j_block; 07-02-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Do what you want with it, what does it mean to you to have a 325? Is it a canyon carver, a show car, status indicator, etc... I personally keep a $1000 on hand just for repairs and I fix whatever breaks and anything that should be done while I'm fixing the failure, eg, water pump goes, i'll fix that and expansion tank, thermostat etc to reset their failure intervals. Any cash above that goes toward whatever I want for the car at that moment. I like the direction you're taking your car, just as long as you don't sacrifice you're maintenance budget you'll be fine and kill two birds with one stone along the way.
greenskycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Just my personal opinion would be to go with wheels and a drop. And then if it really suits you do the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Xiphos

My Ride: 2004 325i Sedan
Just know one thing, these cars are slow. however fast does not always mean 0-60. If I were you ( and I am because I drive the same car ) I would go in the direction of handling and suspension. these cars are loads more fun around a track then they are in a straight line. If your lucky like me you can find places that hold legal autocross events.
Xiphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
luc

Yeah one thing I had to convince myself of is that my car isn't fast hah. Me and my friend (drives a jetta vr6) had a conversation about that after I got it. But I love driving.. and I love how my car feels around corners.. so maybe that's a good idea.

Can anyone answer my last question though?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Topramen20

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
ive got a clean 75k mi 2004 325i with zsp and zpp packages.. ive owned it for about 6 months and working on it and driving it has been really fun. im not super knowledgeable about car stuff but ive been doing my homework

ive done: shark injector, custom airbox mod and better air filter, shifter bushing and shorter shifter, some weight reduction, couple simple cosmetic things and some preventative maintenance

im content with my car as it is now.. but im considering lighter wheels, bimmerbrakes headers, and seats, and some other stuff. id love to do that.. but its not like im tracking my car or racing retards at lights. so im wondering if i should keep that money in case something ever breaks on my car. i plan on keeping it for a long time. maybe just wheels and call it a day? i dunno.. its like im at the point where i could keep my car as is and be fine.. but i feel like if i went any further id have to go all out (wheels, seats, drop, exhaust, CF hood, diff)

also.. if i keep making my car faster and more powerful, at what point will i have to worry about reinforcement, stronger clutch, better differential.. things like that? are there people that upgrade to a turbo/sc and keep their stock clutch and diff? just something ive been thinking about.
You won't have to worry about anything unless you go F/I. Other then that do what you want. However my personal opinion is keep it how it is. A 325i is a slow car, I would focus more on suspension then making it faster because it won't make huge gains unless you turbo charge it or supercharge it. I would save some money for maintenance down the road. Just throw some nice rims on it, possibly lower and upgrade the suspension and clean and polish it.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
daonlydann

My Ride: 05 330i
I have a 05 330i and the vanos seals made a noticeable difference. something to consider.
daonlydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
R0B

My Ride: zhp sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlydann View Post
I have a 05 330i and the vanos seals made a noticeable difference. something to consider.
Every e46 has vanos issues, starting after 35k the seals start to go bad and turn to hard plastic with cracks. It's not that big of a deal though and everyone seems to be raving about it on this post. If you hear lots of rattle when you hold your idle at 2200-2400 rpm and once you get above 2600rpm and don't hear any rattle then you need to replace your seals...

It's a 325, I wouldn't do anything other than turboing it or supercharging it. If I were you, I'd keep the car as is and sell it and get a 330, they aren't that much more expensive. Or better yet, save enough to sell your car and buy an M3 in a year or two, depending on your moneyz lol

:Headers: :Header-back Magnaflow Exhuast: :UUC clutch/lightweight flywheel: :AA stage 1 supercharger: :VMR V710:
For sale: 3.46 differential, 18x8.0 style 135/18x8.5 style 135/ 19x8.5 varrstoen 1.1.2
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote