E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
AR Uppers

There are a few complete uppers that I looked at:

This one is being advertised as a 14.5" Mid-Length with a Troy Standard 11" Rail. Cost after adding the BCM A2X Flash hider is $694
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...20trx11std.htm

This one is being advertised as a 16" Mid-Length with a Troy Standard 11" Rail (including the flash hider) and has a CHF barrel. Cost is $739
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...rx11%20std.htm

This one is being advertised as a 16" Mid-Length with a 12" BAR Rail and includes the flash hider. Cost is $670
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spik...tu5035-r2s.htm

The Spikes includes a BCG and charging handle. Thoughts?

Last edited by Serbonze; 07-03-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
CMMG also makes some quality uppers as well in all the barrel configurations you mentioned although I'm kinda new to the whole AR hobby.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=93
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
BCM is far superior in terms of the quality of their parts. I would recommend either the second BCM option with the 16" barrel, or the Spike's option. The Spike's option is more cost effective, which may be to your advantage. I really like Troy rails. They are a bit heavy, but they're incredibly strong and durable. Couple that with the BCM CHF upper and you have a great product. CHF barrels last a lot longer than standard barrels, but whether it's worth the extra money is up to you.
Either way, I try to encourage people to stay away from 14.5" barrels with permanently attached muzzle devices. If you plan on leaving the rifle alone and NEVER plan on doing anything to the rifle/to the rifle, then it's a good way to drop 1" off the length of the gun. However, if you ever want to change muzzle devices or want to switch out the gas block, you will need to take the muzzle device off, and many times you wind up destroying the barrel while trying to remove the pin and weld. It's just easier to get the 16" barrel and not have to mess with permanently attaching a muzzle device.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I hear what you are saying. The issue is that I have never read any reports of problems with Spikes quality or quality control, only what seems like typical backlash from a new player in the market. From my research, and even "the chart", they appear to offer the same products at a better price. So if Colt is the standard, and say Daniel Defense and BCM are on par, and Spikes is the same quality but for the same price include a BCG and charging handle, why not go with Spikes, or what makes BCM superior? These are really just rhetorical questions that I need to work out.

I hope that makes sense. I'm going through that typical first stage of research to find the best product offering for the least money.

I need to find a product that works for me, knowing that I'm a civilian who will only use it for paper punching and some classes down the road. For that purpose, do I need mil-spec quality? No, but if I can find it, or close to it for a great price, then why not? :-)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I hear what you are saying. The issue is that I have never read any reports of problems with Spikes quality or quality control, only what seems like typical backlash from a new player in the market. From my research, and even "the chart", they appear to offer the same products at a better price. So if Colt is the standard, and say Daniel Defense and BCM are on par, and Spikes is the same quality but for the same price include a BCG and charging handle, why not go with Spikes, or what makes BCM superior? These are really just rhetorical questions that I need to work out.

I hope that makes sense. I'm going through that typical first stage of research to find the best product offering for the least money.

I need to find a product that works for me, knowing that I'm a civilian who will only use it for paper punching and some classes down the road. For that purpose, do I need mil-spec quality? No, but if I can find it, or close to it for a great price, then why not? :-)
Spikes is good. I should have clarified- BCM is superior to CMMG. My bad.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Spike's is the "flavor of the month". THey make good products, at a very reasonable price. Plus their logo is one of the coolest logos in the business. I'm considering them for my next build. I don't think they make a 20" upper do they?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Spike's is the "flavor of the month". THey make good products, at a very reasonable price. Plus their logo is one of the coolest logos in the business. I'm considering them for my next build. I don't think they make a 20" upper do they?
I have not seen a 20" offering from Spikes, only the 16" and the 10.5".