E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
The Official Science Thread

I've decided to make a dedicated thread that I'll bump instead of making a new thread every time I find something worth posting. Here's today's offering:

Pretty epic timelapse from southern Australia

Some details on an HD streaming camera to be installed on the ISS. We'll be able to access a site and get near-realtime HD video of the earth with resolution that rivals google earth
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-...rth-space.html
Quote:
The high resolution camera will offer a video image with a resolution that is comparable to much of Google Earth. This will give users the unique opportunity to see man-made objects and groups of people and to search for videos of particular locations. It will be possible to zoom in and out, virtually steer the camera from side to side, rewind and fast forward as they investigate areas of interest on Earth. The web platform also gives users the capability to constantly track the location of the ISS anticipating the exact time when it will pass over a particular geographic location.

New type of propulsion: Fusion Thruster
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-...ter-space.html

Quote:
John J. Chapman, a physicist working for NASA has presented an idea for a new type of fusion thruster for possible use by space traveling vehicles at the IEEE Symposium going on in Chicago this week. In the presentation, as explained on IEEE Spectrum, Chapman suggests that boron be used as an "aneutronic" fuel source, stating that doing so makes the energetic particles easier to deal with than traditional materials.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 07-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I'll throw in your other older video that i really liked.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
is that what it looks like with the naked eye?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science

If you're in the right spot with no light pollution it'll be close. You can easily make out the milky way with the naked eye in the right conditions

flickher

Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
k2pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
is that what it looks like with the naked eye?
This is what it looks like at my house.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

^ How long was that exposure?

flickher

Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
k2pilot

30" @ f2.8 iso 3200.

All the solar LED lights my dad puts up everywhere really screw up the exposures, i could probably get by with shorter exposures were it not for that.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
a s u r a 0 s 9
Nikkei is a $lut.

My Ride: is always in a shop

Quote:
(HOUSTON) -- Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old Texas man who was about 12 hours away from death, became the first human to receive what doctors are calling the "beatless heart."

The device -- two ventricular assist devices intricately tied together, replacing his entire heart -- was developed by Drs. Billy Cohn and O.A. "Bud" Frazier at the Texas Heart Institute in Houston.

They say this new machine, which whirls instead of pulses, is more reliable and could replace existing artificial hearts, which wear out and can cause clotting and strokes.

"Every animal created has a pulsatile heart, and to mimic that was the natural way to proceed," said Cohn. "But to make something that actually can beat 100,000 times a day, 35 million times a year, a man-made device has to perform with that kind of endurance."

"A car can, but you change the oil and the spark plugs and do the maintenance and they go and go," he said. "These pulsating hearts work only a year or two, then fall apart."

Older devices would have also been too large to place in women's smaller bodies. The new beatless heart is "self-contained, smaller and a more durable device," said Cohn.

Lewis, in the advanced stages of cardiac amyloidosis, which causes the organs to fail as the body accumulates abnormal proteins, had been in a coma-like state. He died last March from underlying disease, five weeks after receiving the beatless heart.

But doctors said that the heart worked perfectly. Lewis was able to sit up and talk to his family before his kidneys and liver eroded. The family ultimately chose to turn off the heart device to allow him to die "humanely," said Cohn.

The first "beatless" heart experiments were done on a calf named Abigail, and later on 38 calves, whose hearts were removed and replaced with two centrifugal pumps.

In March, when doctors felt confident the artificial heart would also work in humans, they were approached by Craig Lewis' wife, Linda.

Hospital officials said she was "too emotional" to talk to ABC News, but in another interview earlier this week, she said that her husband would have appreciated the doctors' invention, fashioned from Dacron, fiberglass and silicone.

Until now, those with full heart failure have had only had two options: a first-generation artificial heart that had limitations, or a heart transplant. But the wait for a new heart can be long, if one becomes available at all. More than 100,000 Americans are on a list for about 2,200 hearts a year.

The new machine relies on two simple whirling rotors, spinning blood throughout the body in a continuous flow, addressing previous problems with clotting, thrombosis and bleeding.

"I think it's fascinating," said Dr. Jay Pal, assistant professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio.

Left ventricular assist devices, like the one that keeps former Vice President Dick Cheney alive, only help those with failure of the left side of the heart. This device can help those with right-side failure or failure on both sides.

Lewis had not been a candidate for an assist pump because his left ventricle was too badly damaged by disease, and his right ventricle had also failed.

"It certainly provides more options for people who are living with advanced heart failure, and results like these show a lot of promise and move the field forward," said Pal.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio***65279;
a s u r a 0 s 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
in..... space saved for later

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
subscribing
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
I'm in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
also

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
k2pilot

^ Mmmmmm i'll take maxwell's equations girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post

Also Scott i didn't see your edited version of the first post with the fusion thruster, son of a bitch! that's what i wanted to do...
Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashalah20 View Post
also

ew
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Also Scott i didn't see your edited version of the first post with the fusion thruster, son of a bitch! that's what i wanted to do...
Yeah I was going to PM you with that article when I first read it but it slipped my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
ew
Brains, Looks, Sanity...you can only pick 2.

flickher