E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Going FI, want to prep my car...

Hey guys hows it going, finally bit the bullet and made the decision to go FI. Car is payed off and i feel its time. I just have a few questions for all of you gurus out there. My car is an 03 330i and currently at 99k miles and im pretty sure i need to prep up the engine with some maintanence before going FI.

Heres the deal though, i live in south florida and have 2 great shops with kits around my area. One being Technique Tuning and the other Active Autowerke. Still debating which kit to go with, either stage 2 AA or stage 1 TT. Which do u guys think would be more reliable for a daily?

Also here are the mechanical mods my car currently has with maintanence that have been performed.

-F1 racing LTW chromoly flywheel with sachs clutch kit
-Pilot bearing, Pivot pin, Clutch fork, T/O bearing with sleeve replaced
-UUC Black Poly Tranny mounts w/ enforcers
-UUC Delrin shift carrier bushings, all new OEM shifter bushings
-BMW performance SSK
-SS replica headers
-Exhaust cut before 2nd resonator, 2 single 2.5 inch Magnaflow mufflers to custom dual center exits. (Adding Supersprint x-pipe)
-Vanos seals replaced at 80k with new VCG.
-Meyle HD FCABS with replaceable ball joints at 85k
-Velocity Motorcars adjustable endlinks
-Rokkor Tuning coils (replaced all strut mounts etc.)

What i plan on doing before installing FI

-TMS power pulleys
-Complete Cooling system overhaul including all hoses etc.
-Spark plugs
-Replace all vacuum hoses in the engine (noticed many have been cracking/ breaking off)
-AKG Motorsport Polyurethane 80a black engine mounts
-Change MTF
-Change Diff fluid
-Fuel filter
-RTABS
-Leatherz VDO guage panel (Boost, Oil temp, oil pressure)

Thats all i can think of right now, is there anything else that you guys would recommend to swap out/ replace? If so you guys would be a great help. Thanks in advance
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Deah7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 517
My Ride: 330i
Beautiful car! I think what most people say is make sure to do a compression or leakdown test just to make sure the car can handle the boost. I want to go FI Also, just a personal opinion, I say you go TT even though I know AA is great too.
Deah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,100
My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
Have you done a subframe re-enforcement? Or had your current subframe inspected? Definitely a must do!
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Mirko
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 772
My Ride: Your girlfriend :)
Just a heads up but I dont think you can do pullies with the super charger install.
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Definitely do subframe reinforcement. Skip the pulleys and instead of the AKG motor mounts, get either the BimmerWorld solid rubber mounts or stock M3 mounts. I'd also recommend a fresh fuel pump if one is not going to be included with the kit you buy.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzperformance View Post
Have you done a subframe re-enforcement? Or had your current subframe inspected? Definitely a must do!
Nope but i can get under there and check it out, its been on the list to do. I might as well just go ahead and get the reinforcements than just so i dont have a mess in the future right, they always say do it right the first time right??? lol

Also do i do front and rear? Or just rear as thats the one to mainly fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deah7 View Post
Beautiful car! I think what most people say is make sure to do a compression or leakdown test just to make sure the car can handle the boost. I want to go FI Also, just a personal opinion, I say you go TT even though I know AA is great too.
Yeah im leaning towards the TT kit. Ive seen their cars in person and was on a caravan with one of them, those things pull like crazy! Only thing keeping me away is that i feel a supercharger is a little bit more reliable dont u think? But the positive thing about the TT kit is that ill get rid of my crappy SS rep headers and have a solid exhaust manifold in place, plus a cat. converter that comes with the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Just a heads up but I dont think you can do pullies with the super charger install.
hmm guess your right, i would do them if i went turbo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Definitely do subframe reinforcement. Skip the pulleys and instead of the AKG motor mounts, get either the BimmerWorld solid rubber mounts or stock M3 mounts. I'd also recommend a fresh fuel pump if one is not going to be included with the kit you buy.
Why not AKG mounts? Ive read they dont provide much NVH and have lasted very long, and the improvements are night and day. I def need new mounts as i can see the indentation of my power steering resovior on my sound deadening mat.

And fuel pump/ fuel filter check.

Thanks guys, anything else you would recommend?
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Steven747
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,382
My Ride: 05 330ci
stewart water pump,

and also i thought i read somewhere that e9x m3 engine mounts can fit or might just be e46 m3 mounts?

op what kinda brake setup do you have?

maybe a bbk for the front?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
MaverickM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah
Posts: 73
My Ride: gets badge
Both AA and Technique Tuning are great companies. Cant go wrong with either one.

Nick at TT is a great guy to work with.

TT web paige for their kits on the 330..
Stage 1 - 315whp / 300wtq - http://www.techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html
Stage 2 - 375whp / 370wtq - http://www.techniquetuning.com/bmw-e...st2-turbo.html

See Sig.. I love the TT turbo kit. Picks up full boost at low rpm and doesn't let off. Looking forward to going stage2.
__________________
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
MUFCforMcD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Limited slip?
MUFCforMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Yeah im leaning towards the TT kit. Ive seen their cars in person and was on a caravan with one of them, those things pull like crazy! Only thing keeping me away is that i feel a supercharger is a little bit more reliable dont u think? But the positive thing about the TT kit is that ill get rid of my crappy SS rep headers and have a solid exhaust manifold in place, plus a cat. converter that comes with the kit.
Once the turbo is installed properly (doublecheck the MAF clamps!) I'd say it's gonna be just as reliable. It's oil cooled and effectively has oil bearings. 8.5 PSI isn't anything crazy as these things go.

I like turbo
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
stewart water pump,

and also i thought i read somewhere that e9x m3 engine mounts can fit or might just be e46 m3 mounts?

op what kinda brake setup do you have?

maybe a bbk for the front?
Yeah stewart water pump for sure, read good things about them.

Right now i have stock brakes, i think BBK is overkill for a street car. Ill probably upgrade to some slotted/cross drilled rotors and upgraded street pads.

Yeah actually ive been doing alot of research on engine mounts lately, and i found out that the only engine mounts that you can purchase have been upgraded to the e9x m3 mounts. Which fit all e36, e46, 1 series and e9x chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Both AA and Technique Tuning are great companies. Cant go wrong with either one.

Nick at TT is a great guy to work with.

TT web paige for their kits on the 330..
Stage 1 - 315whp / 300wtq - http://www.techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html
Stage 2 - 375whp / 370wtq - http://www.techniquetuning.com/bmw-e...st2-turbo.html

See Sig.. I love the TT turbo kit. Picks up full boost at low rpm and doesn't let off. Looking forward to going stage2.
Yes they are def awesome companies, and i love the fact that both are right down the street from me!

If i go TT im just going to stage 1 as i dont want to dish out all that money for head gasket replacement and such. So my plan is if i go TT to rock the stage 1 setup for a while as i rack up some more mileage on the car lol. Than once i feel its time and i get a new daily, ill dig into my motor hardcore. Ill go stage 2 and tear apart my engine, get the heads machined get all new rods and pistons. Upgrade to some schrick cams, get (davids or daniels?) upgraded oil pump and ATI damper. Just pretty much fully rebuild the engine.

The thing is i dunno if i wanna go that route, or just get an AA blower and have some fun with it and use that money i would put in for a stage 2 TT/ engine rebuild and buy myself a mint ///M and work on that.

Decisions decisions lol. But this baby is definitly getting some FI.

Anything else you guys would recommend?
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Once the turbo is installed properly (doublecheck the MAF clamps!) I'd say it's gonna be just as reliable. It's oil cooled and effectively has oil bearings. 8.5 PSI isn't anything crazy as these things go.

I like turbo
Yeah, if i go TT ill have them install for me if they do installs. If not ill have my sponsor shop do the install for me, which i believe work with TT aswell.
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor
 
Viral@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,154
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Hey guys hows it going, finally bit the bullet and made the decision to go FI. Car is payed off and i feel its time. I just have a few questions for all of you gurus out there. My car is an 03 330i and currently at 99k miles and im pretty sure i need to prep up the engine with some maintanence before going FI.

Heres the deal though, i live in south florida and have 2 great shops with kits around my area. One being Technique Tuning and the other Active Autowerke. Still debating which kit to go with, either stage 2 AA or stage 1 TT. Which do u guys think would be more reliable for a daily?

Also here are the mechanical mods my car currently has with maintanence that have been performed.

-F1 racing LTW chromoly flywheel with sachs clutch kit
-Pilot bearing, Pivot pin, Clutch fork, T/O bearing with sleeve replaced
-UUC Black Poly Tranny mounts w/ enforcers
-UUC Delrin shift carrier bushings, all new OEM shifter bushings
-BMW performance SSK
-SS replica headers
-Exhaust cut before 2nd resonator, 2 single 2.5 inch Magnaflow mufflers to custom dual center exits. (Adding Supersprint x-pipe)
-Vanos seals replaced at 80k with new VCG.
-Meyle HD FCABS with replaceable ball joints at 85k
-Velocity Motorcars adjustable endlinks
-Rokkor Tuning coils (replaced all strut mounts etc.)

What i plan on doing before installing FI

-TMS power pulleys
-Complete Cooling system overhaul including all hoses etc.
-Spark plugs
-Replace all vacuum hoses in the engine (noticed many have been cracking/ breaking off)
-AKG Motorsport Polyurethane 80a black engine mounts
-Change MTF
-Change Diff fluid
-Fuel filter
-RTABS
-Leatherz VDO guage panel (Boost, Oil temp, oil pressure)

Thats all i can think of right now, is there anything else that you guys would recommend to swap out/ replace? If so you guys would be a great help. Thanks in advance
Give me a call directly Stage 2 FTW
__________________
Viral Vahia
Active Autowerke | 9940 SW 168 Terrace Miami, Florida 33157
www.activeautowerke.com | viral@activeautowerke.com
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
malina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.FL
Posts: 757
My Ride: stock ZHP
AW330, since your ride is lowered already, keep in mind that with AA kit you lose protective under engine panels and some clearance due to the intercooler pipings (unless the kit has been redesigned).
In a daily commute turbo will provide more driving pleasure, IMO, since you don't need to rev past 4000 RPM to feel some torque. Drive both and decide for yourself.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
MaverickM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah
Posts: 73
My Ride: gets badge
OP, is your car auto or 5spd??
__________________
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Matt Q
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,197
My Ride: Jezebel
Have spare cash on hand.. things WILL break...

and have fun dude.. welcome to club PSI
__________________


M3. ONLY BETTER
Matt Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
AW330, since your ride is lowered already, keep in mind that with AA kit you lose protective under engine panels and some clearance due to the intercooler pipings (unless the kit has been redesigned).
In a daily commute turbo will provide more driving pleasure, IMO, since you don't need to rev past 4000 RPM to feel some torque. Drive both and decide for yourself.
This is true, everything is still up in the air though. I really cant decide, viral sent me a PM with his number so im gonna give him a call as well as contact TT. Im going to do some hardcore research before i decide which kit to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
OP, is your car auto or 5spd??
its a 5 spd, i currently have 1100 miles on the new clutch. Its a f1 racing stage 1 kit which is a lightweight chromoly fllywheel weighing at i believe 14.8 lbs and a sachs clutch disc and pressure plate. When i had the tranny out i also replaced everything except the rear main seal as it still looked brand new. I got a new pivot pin, pivot pin clip, pivot arm, T/O bearing, T/O bearing guide tube. I was going to get a new slave cylinder but mine seemed pretty good so i kept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
Have spare cash on hand.. things WILL break...

and have fun dude.. welcome to club PSI
haha yeah i bet, thanks bro!
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
I love my stage 1 TT but I wanted more.....but it is great as is. Also I am told you can get more from the turbo later on if you want.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #19
AW330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 285
My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
oh yeah and i figured id drop a pic of the beast lol
__________________
AW330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 456
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
If you go with the AA/2 they now provide a set of colder plugs (critical). And I agree with having a LSD - I love my OS Giken - otherwise you will just spin the right tire to shreds.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use