E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Does Anyone Make Their Own Pasta Sauce? Help

So I attempted to make my own pasta sauce, key word here being attempted. I followed this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-tom...ti-sauce-10837 but it was looking pretty thin after a couple hours of stewing, so after reading a little bit, I decided to let it simmer longer to reduce and thicken it. Well that idea was a complete failure because what I ended up with was still essentially a pot of flavored water. After eating tonight I added a can of tomato paste and it helped, but it's still pretty thin. Any advice?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
what kind of tomatoes did you use?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
cowmoo32
drunken science

Hmm....I think just regular hot house tomatoes. Should I be using something specific?

flickher

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
EDawg

My Ride: :/
from the looks of it, you need to continue to reduce it some more. you're probably simmering at too low of a heat. crank up the heat a bit more to accelerate the evaporation. heck, if you're really impatient, you can probably crank up the heat to high for a few minutes to get rid of that extra moisture till you reach the thickness you want.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
EDawg

also, you should cook your pasta till it's slightly firm, drain it completely without rinsing, and then toss the pasta into the finished sauce, crank up the heat a bit, and let the pasta finish cooking in the sauce. the pasta will not only further help to soak up more moisture from the sauce, but will also make the pasta more flavorful and adhere the the sauce better.

Last edited by EDawg; 06-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
from the looks of it, you need to continue to reduce it some more. you're probably simmering at too low of a heat. crank up the heat a bit more to accelerate the evaporation. heck, if you're really impatient, you can probably crank up the heat to high for a few minutes to get rid of that extra moisture till you reach the thickness you want.
I let it simmer overnight, I think ~12 hours total, but next time I try it I'll crank the heat up a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
also, you should cook your pasta till it's slightly firm, drain it completely without rinsing, and then toss the pasta into the finished sauce, crank up the heat a bit, and let the pasta finish cooking in the sauce. the pasta will not only further help to soak up more moisture from the sauce, but will also make the pasta more flavorful and adhere the the sauce better.
That's a great idea. I had some more last night and it was a little better with the tomato paste added, but it still wasn't thick enough.

flickher

Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Holy cow, 12 hours?

Simmering it uncovered is also going to help boil off some of the excess water in there and thicken it up. I'm assuming that for 12 hours it was covered, or else you would probably have had a pot of mud.

Tomatoes are key too, I use these bad boys:

Their flavor really can't be beat. I will also cook them in the sauce whole and either do a rough crush on them or puree them when the sauce is cooking depending on what kind of sauce I am making.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
EDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Simmering it uncovered is also going to help boil off some of the excess water in there and thicken it up. I'm assuming that for 12 hours it was covered, or else you would probably have had a pot of mud.
if you simmered with cover on, then that's probably your problem. simmering at a very low heat with the lid on or partially on will just cause the evaporated water to recondense on the lid and eventually drip right back onto the sauce.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
cowmoo32
drunken science

There's my problem, I had the lid on. I'll give it a go without the lid next time.

flickher

Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
JJR4884

ya dude you gotta let that water out baby
Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Do not ever use FRESH tomatoes in the US. Sure, raw tomato recipes sound great, but tomatoes in the US are ****, full of water, and have little flavor. In the US, buy Italian San Marzano canned tomatoes, and use those. If you INSIST on using fresh tomatoes, like when they are in season, use roma tomatoes. Cut them in half, salt the flesh, and bake them in the over for about an hour at 250. This will evaporate a lot of the water, concentrating the flavor, and keeping your sauce from going watery.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Do not ever use FRESH tomatoes in the US. Sure, raw tomato recipes sound great, but tomatoes in the US are ****, full of water, and have little flavor. In the US, buy Italian San Marzano canned tomatoes, and use those. If you INSIST on using fresh tomatoes, like when they are in season, use roma tomatoes. Cut them in half, salt the flesh, and bake them in the over for about an hour at 250. This will evaporate a lot of the water, concentrating the flavor, and keeping your sauce from going watery.
nice method, i am definitely going to try that out

oh and fresh garden tomatoes my friend

yum
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
accolade

Quote:
Do not ever use FRESH tomatoes in the US.
Is this statement directed towards tomatoes that are store bought?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Is this statement directed towards tomatoes that are store bought?
I have never had a tomato as good as a real Italian tomato, store bought or homegrown. They are still too watery.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
you realize that there are hundreds of varieties of tomatoes? you just have to find the right ones. and in most cases you want to scrape out most of the liquid and seeds no matter what kind you use. it's not the tomatoes, it the method.

i will also point out that tomatoes are not native to italy.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
accolade

Yea, I have to disagree as well... I also pointed out the fact that San Marzanos are the best, but I have made sauce from homegrown tomatoes that would trump anything out of the can.