E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
perucho330i

My Ride: 02 330I
Need to replace front control arm bushings

hello people
I am new here.....
I have a 02 330i and need to replace the front control arm bushings....
I have been looking into the bimmerworld powerflex bushings...any opinions on those?
Also, I live in burbank,ca....any one local or near that know a cheap place to get them done? Also looking to do a muffler delete..any ideas or advice...thank you very much any info will help
perucho330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
I have the powerflex and love them. huge difference much firmer. European Auto Source sells them.

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Powerflex FTW.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
^^^ what they said.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Unforgivable818

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Skype™ to Unforgivable818
Check out Valencia European (see YELP ---> HERE ) I checked out his shop and I was delighted. His prices on parts and labor are awesome and he gave me a great feeling/impression. Bjorn is a really cool guy and his shop is worth checking out!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Really?

OE bushings...lemforder...or you'll be back.

Read some more, a lot more about bushings. Unless you're planning on replacing a lot of more stuff to have a smooth ride, OE.

Maybe you can search to see if there's an M bushing that will fit your car.

But what do I know? I'm not really a bmw engineer; you probably could just toss any type of bushing on, even Delrin or solid aluminum (yes, somewhere they make these!).

Ours are made the way they are for a reason. If you want to drive a bmw and know how one is supposed to handle, go OE, and wash your car for even thinking about Poly!

Srs, though. I think you should seriously consider ignoring popular wisdom and just trust me!

Read about 100 of my posts and 100 of the posts from others here and then decide. BTW, some of those posts you see that make you wonder? My 15 year old got on my PC and did those...especially the ones on Furries.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
I havent been back yet with poly.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
louie586

My Ride: 2013 ATS 2.0T/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Really?

OE bushings...lemforder...or you'll be back.

Read some more, a lot more about bushings. Unless you're planning on replacing a lot of more stuff to have a smooth ride, OE.

Maybe you can search to see if. there's an M bushing that will fit. your car.

But what do I know? I'm not really a bmw engineer; you probably could just toss any type of bushing on, even Delrin or solid aluminum (yes, somewhere they make these!).

Ours are made the way they are for a reason. If you want to drive a bmw and know how one is supposed to handle, go OE, and wash your car for even thinking about Poly!

Srs, though. I think you should seriously consider ignoring popular wisdom and just trust me!

Read about 100 of my posts and 100 of the posts from others here and then decide. BTW, some of those posts you see that make you wonder? My 15 year old got on my PC and did those...especially the ones on Furries.
What's wrong with poly? I understand that it creates somewhat of a firmer ride, but its hardly noticeable. Thanks!

Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer App

OEM diamond key (cut - nearly brand new)
OEM glovebox flashlight (new bulb)
OEM M54 VANOS unit (used)
Black kidney grilles (Khoalty, coupe fitment)
louie586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
Powerflex last longer..
Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie586 View Post
What's wrong with poly? I understand that it creates somewhat of a firmer ride, but its hardly noticeable. Thanks!

You make it stiffer there, and that translates into less forgiveness down the line.

Unless you're racing, my thinking is oe is fine for tracking and much better for the road.

Many poly fans seem to live where it's warm, and that might have something to do with them liking them too. The roads are smoother and the bushing would be naturally softer from the temp...I'd think (to some small extent).

These bushings, in my mind, are one of the first lines of defense between the road and the car's other parts. There is a reason the bushing is designed the way it is, and designed out of what it is. If you don't understand why, then either become an engineer and work for BMW, or just trust what they say.

Bushings, wherever they are, are usually to insulate the car from the road...sway bar, motor/trans mounts, guibo, real axle/diff...ball joints have bushings hiding in them too.

I think they're there for a reason.

Okay, that's enough of my minority view. I make a lot of sense, but I know it's unrecognized here.

Anyone know a nice place to take a random drive today in NJ, around NYC?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
zhenkaaaM3

to on AVERAGE driver, its unnoticeable. I feel like every bump I hit with the powerflex bushings, I feel it pretty hard.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
louie586

My Ride: 2013 ATS 2.0T/6MT
Good to know. I live in MI (potholes galore) and need to change my FCAB's...looks like I'll be going OE.

OEM diamond key (cut - nearly brand new)
OEM glovebox flashlight (new bulb)
OEM M54 VANOS unit (used)
Black kidney grilles (Khoalty, coupe fitment)
louie586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
perucho330i

thank you everyone for the advice....
I use my car as a daily drive, but do plan on doing some modifications to it.
I will try the powerflex bushings out...I was hoping to hear from those who have them on their car...short term and long term reviews.....
Also, how much would it cost for a muffler delete...any shops in the los angeles county area....and advice on best setup for that...
I know there are 3 seperate mufflers....thanks guys I am new to this whole thing and am thankful for your replies
Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
zhenkaaaM3

3 seperate mufflers? From what I know, I have 1 huge one just before the tail pipe

Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
mleskovar

My Ride: '04 325Ci
Quote:
You make it stiffer there, and that translates into less forgiveness down the line.

Unless you're racing, my thinking is oe is fine for tracking and much better for the road.

Many poly fans seem to live where it's warm, and that might have something to do with them liking them too. The roads are smoother and the bushing would be naturally softer from the temp...I'd think (to some small extent).

These bushings, in my mind, are one of the first lines of defense between the road and the car's other parts. There is a reason the bushing is designed the way it is, and designed out of what it is. If you don't understand why, then either become an engineer and work for BMW, or just trust what they say.

Bushings, wherever they are, are usually to insulate the car from the road...sway bar, motor/trans mounts, guibo, real axle/diff...ball joints have bushings hiding in them too.

I think they're there for a reason.

Okay, that's enough of my minority view. I make a lot of sense, but I know it's unrecognized here....
And your passengers will appreciate it even if you don't.

Quote:
....a nice place to take a random drive today in NJ, around NYC?
That's an oxymoron
mleskovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
bucknasty

My Ride: N/A
I think the simple way of looking at it is f=kx. Where k is the spring constant and x is the amount of compression of the bushing when hitting a bump in the road. By using a poly based bushing as oppose to the OEM rubber the spring constant is higher for the poly's. If the force from the bump is the same with a larger k the less the compression of the bushing, resulting in more force transfer from the bump to the rest of the car. I wondering though what failure would look like in a poly based bushing... it could get real ugly. Rubber wears and is less brittle. if a poly based could crack somehow that would be bad. Im replacing the RCAB on my m3 soon. I need a shop i can fix it myself to save money! Jeez
bucknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
I have power flex bushings and love em. They are a little stiffer than stock,but I think you feel the road better.. Good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
Levreault

My Ride: 325i
My lemforder cabs failed after 14 mo. Because I live in Wisc, and drive on bad roads, and have a lowered car, should I just expect to replace that part yearly? Obviously, BMW didn't take into account that someone MIGHT change their suspension geometry, so they MUST be all-knowing. So yeah, I should just keep putting on lemforder rubber every year instead of looking for another solution. But hey, what do I know. I make a lot of sense, but it might go unrecognized.

But seriously, from what I have read, you want to look at two variables: geometry and road conditions. If you are at stock height and your roads are smooth, go with OEM. If you are lowered and rough roads, consider poly.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
perucho330i

I am looking for a low cost shop that can change my front control arm bushings...thank you guys for all the advice...I live in burbank,ca....how much should it cost to get them replaced? I am going with the powerflex bushings...I found them cheap on bimmerworld.com...does anyone know of local retailers?

thank you!

Tags
bushings, muffler delete