E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Headers with cat converter - P0430 code.

I bought the car with ebay headers. PO installed a cat sometime after the original header install, but chose not to relocate the post cat O2 sensors downstream of the new cat. He simply plugged the bungs downstream of the Cat with a couple of non wired junk O2's. For the life of my ownership I have dealt with P0420 and P0430 codes. No big deal, but now I have emissions testing due in a few weeks.

I don't think PO used anti-seize on the threads so I took the car to a local indy. He was able to remove the junk O2's as well as relocate one of the good O2's but had to cut bait and install one new O2 sensor in the remaining post cat bung. He used one junk O2 and the stranded good O2 to plug up the now vacant bungs in the header. He also cleared the SES.

Made a 360 mile trip this weekend and 50 miles from home on the return trip the SES light came on. This time the only code that came up was P0430. So wise men of E46...after I trace back the new O2 to the corresponding location in the engine and verify this is bank one, can I assume the bank two O2 sensor is bad? My thought is that if the cat is bad, both codes would have come back on both banks. Car has 160K on it and I am thinking that it is feasible that the O2's could go bad.

Thank you gentlemen in advance...Mark

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Many who add cats downstream of the headers still find that they get codes, even if the cats and O2s are all working. While they may be fully functional, they may not be providing the response the DME is expecting of a stock exhaust. So maybe you have a bad O2 sensor, maybe you simply have a bad cat configuration.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Recon2005

Thanks for the repy. I was just doing some additional research on this and it seems you have quite a bit of insight and experience on the subject. In fact I was about to PM you. Is the issue with the relocation of the cat have anything to do with the length of the wire loom? I'm asking this because my loom was not spliced to be extended, it was simply unravelled from under the valve cover.

My next question is would a defouler have any benefit or am I coming at this in an incorrect mindset? For what it's worth, I am boosted and have the Magnaflow exhaust offered under the group buy. Thanks again...

Quote:
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Has nothing to do with the length of wire nor splicing. Defoulers aren't a reliable solution either. The problem is with the placement of the cats themselves and the fact that they are now much farther from the exhaust ports in the head. The only 100% reliable way I've seen to deal with missing or relocated cats is to wire in an Innovate LC-1 to simulate the proper response from the post cat O2s (there's a thread or 2 here with instructions). Anything else is a gamble as to if or for how long it will work and a complete waste of time and effort IMO.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Recon2005

LC-1 looks like a great long term, permanent and proper fix. At this point I am reserved to simply pass the local emissions testing which is only an OBDII plug in, no sniffer. Again, I appreciate the help.

Quote: