E46 Fanatics Forum banner

burgerlar stole spare key, what to do tonight

4K views 34 replies 33 participants last post by  Mr_325 
#1 ·
came home and house had been broken into, determined spare key was missing (left wifes volvo key alone)

1. is there something I can do tonight to keep car safe (2001 330ci).

2. can dealer change key completely and at what cost?

thanks for your help,

Mike

#3 ·
I'm not sure how much dealers charge to re-key, but I'd definitely park the car in a garage at someone's house that you trust until you can get that done. It'd be one less thing to worry about. Chances are, they're waiting to see you leave it in the driveway and bye-bye car.

People are such jerks sometimes. Sorry about your situation.

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure that the dealer can deactivate a specific key; someone could get in, but wouldn't be able to start car...think something like that.

In the meanwhile, park the car elsewhere...at friends/family where guy with key wouldn't know to look for it...get ride back by taxi/friend/local fanatic.

Or, get club!

#9 ·
I would call your insurance company if you have full coverage, explain it was stolen since im sure you had a police report.

You may pay your deductible but they will most likely pay to have the dealer re key the entire car. Ive read of it being done before. They will do this because other wise its allowing damage/ theft of the car.

#14 · (Edited)
Def let the cops know, they can keep on patrol near your place. Keep nothing valuable in your car when you park it at home. Like literally, even take out the manual. Leave nothing but the spare tire and jack in there.

Or....pull the aux fan cable, let the car overheat while the guy drives it since it'll be gradual and not damage anything and he will have to stop, free coolant overhaul :) Say that he drove it like an ******* since he stole it.

But that's easily the shittiest idea I've ever come up with.

#16 ·
I'm not exactly sure what that means or if it was a joke, but don't let your car overheat, even if you wanted to strand a thief. You wouldn't want to risk getting it back with engine damage.

#24 ·
Best way is to catch the theif and recover the stolen key.
Even if you do spend hundreds just to reprogram the starter. He can still open your car and steal your shlt.
Set up a sting operation. Unplug car battery first.
Set up a cheap security camera system for couple hundreds and try to catch the theif opening your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.