E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
mko9

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Engine noise while auto-x'ing

I hate these kind of vague threads, but I don't have enough BMW experience to know where to begin.

Last weekend my wife and I were auto-x'ing my ZHP. The engine started making a kind of chicka-chicka-chicka noise after being flogged pretty hard. It was definitely engine/rpm related. It seemed to be in the front of the engine, but I wasn't really able to determine exactly where it was coming from. No indicator lights, no other signs It was a tad low on oil, but nothing major, which I have since topped up. During daily driving, it seems fine. After a couple of days of daily driving the noise seems to have gone away. The car has about 66,000 miles on it. I have only had it for about a year, and don't really have any idea about any previous issues.

Any ideas?

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
normal, it's called "ticking". almost all of our BMWs do that after hard driving, you might be able to avoid it by overfilling the oil by 1/2qt or 1qt.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
It's pretty much the nature of the beast. The lifters just click when the car is driven hard. I've changed out lifters a number of times and new ones do it the same as old ones. The only thing that does reduce it, it a thicker weight oil but it doesn't cure it.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
mko9

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
It was very pronounced at the auto-x. I hadn't really noticed it at the previous two auto-x, nor at trackdays at VIR and Summit Point. I guess I just won't run light weight oil.

Thanks

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
yep, run a quart over and that should help a lot.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote