E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
sonnyfeld

My Ride: 1999 323i
Exclamation 99 323i rumble noise in the rain! Help!

My 323i has 132k on it, everything is going wrong. Im about to put it into the shop for a big overhaul of the coolant system and replace a first bank cat, and now I've got a new noise:

It's pouring out here in east Hampton and driving home today in the rain caused my car to moan and rumble from the engine (or transmission, who knows, I cant tell). It sounded like the cars voice suddenly changed and fell down a few octaves. Acceleration sounded low and labored. Performance was the same but i wasnt going to push it and find out. I stopped at a light and pulled away and the noise was significantly lessened for a few minutes until I hit a puddle and it snapped right back to the low rumble.

I can't tell what exactly is making this sound. I haven't had any transmission problems since owning the car in April. The catalytic converter needs changing. I have the replacement and am just waiting on the gaskets to come in from ECS. Could it be the Cat? I do have a busted up, but present, spash guard down there, but maybe it's not protecting something?

Or is my transmission going and will I not have reverse in the morning? Has this happened to anyone else out there? It seems very weather related... If it's there in the morning when it's dry I'll know for sure of course, but I still need to know what to fix.

Help, I'm a hypocondriac.
sonnyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Do you have a stock intake? Cause if you have an aftermarket with a down pipe, you're probably getting water in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
sonnyfeld

Nope, it's the stock intake. Everying ran fine and sounded okay this morning, so it's definitely water related...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Might be bad tires. Go to this shop, they will find out what's wrong.

http://www.motorcepts.com/
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
sonnyfeld

It definitely could be tires. These are old and I'm planning on changing them in August. But the noise did sound engine related because it varied with RPMs, with each shift of the auto transmission the noise changed as well, just like the engine would normally. It just sounded much deeper a labored. If tires can do this, and I'm new to having tires so old, then yeah, that would make sense.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Do you have a check engine light by any chance?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
sonnyfeld

I do but it's for the front cat. I don't know if there have been any new codes generated... I can get a USB to obd2 tonight and find out though.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

OBD2 still won't tell you all of the codes. If you want to drive to queens tonight I can scan the car for you using BMW diagnostic software.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
sonnyfeld

I'd love to but I won't be able to get there until this weekend. Considering that I only have to drive 10 miles a day out here I was hoping not to return to the city until I've had the cooling system and cat, oh and break booster, power steering reservoir, and trunk lid wiring harness, ugh, done. I have all the parts and the mechanic here can do it next week... Unless of course you know of a better option...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
You could have a vac leak somewhere in your intake. Did your car whistle when you accelerate? also if you don't have your splash guard I would suggest getting one
$.02

2000 323Ci
1992 325is Sold ):
1984 325e
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyfeld View Post
I'd love to but I won't be able to get there until this weekend. Considering that I only have to drive 10 miles a day out here I was hoping not to return to the city until I've had the cooling system and cat, oh and break booster, power steering reservoir, and trunk lid wiring harness, ugh, done. I have all the parts and the mechanic here can do it next week... Unless of course you know of a better option...
trunk lid wiring? Why not fix like me?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
sonnyfeld

I was able to get a used '04 lid wiring harness so I think putting that in will be the best option. Along with a new rubber boot the wires in the new model are protected in an additional sheath, and I like the idea of having it be better than it was, my wiring in the rubber boot is worn down.

To ZHud3 - I have brand new intake boots installed in there and I'm putting in a new MAF next week along with the cooling system, etc. I don't get a whistle at all. Are there other locations that could have a broken hose that would cause a similar issue? I haven't done the CCV hoses yet. I was hoping to hold off on that and rest up from working on the car for a few months after doing this and the tires... I do have a splash guard in place. It just has a few good rips and cracks. Again, if I can avoid it and hold off for a few months I would love to take a small break on auto repair expenses.

Tags
acceleration, engine noise, rain, rumble, transmission