E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
GM5 (or aka Basic module) controls the wiper, interior lights, trunk lights, windows and door lock. Suprisingly that you can operate the windows and wiper w/o the key in the ignition.
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #22
330cik

My Ride: BMW 330ci
I am having various issues with my car. it started out as the doors not unlocking like the OP's but since then i have experienced everything you can imagine... the sun roof has gotten stuck open, the gauges do not work even though the autologic computer will tell me the revs and the fuel level and other information and the gauges test out. i had one mechanic tell me the gauge cluster was bad but today i took it out and put it in another e46 and it worked perfectly. the heated seats will not engage. sometimes the turn signal indicators will not work. the xenon lights will get stuck on when the switch is off. sometimes the trunk won't open. the oil level indicator light and some others on the cluster don't work. any help at all guys? i have spent hundreds of $$$ on diagnostics already and im back to square one. my car is a 2002 BMW 330ci. thanks.
330cik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
Rollo`

My Ride: 330i
Here is my problem: my key opens the driver door fine, but when I push the button again I hear a noise but it sounds weak and the other doors do not unlock. This happens randomly, then suddenly they will unlock again and work every time for weeks. Is that the problem fixed by the procedures in this thread?
Rollo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
Selling GM5 Module for $130 from 2002 325i Sedan
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #25
edmancheung

My Ride: 330ci
Battery issue?

You know the weird thing is that I had the same door lock issues as well. My 330ci passenger door just woudn't unlock. I had to unlock it from inside, meaning pulling the lever. This has been going on and off for months, finally the battery took a dump on me.

After I replaced the battery, the passenger lock started working again. I'm thinking there is not enough volts coming from the battery to unlock the door. Once it gets to that crazy state, it won't reset. It gets stuck. Even with the car running.

Weird... BTW I've had them fix the lock issue under warranty a while ago. the funny thing was when I pulled into the stealership, i couldn't get out of the car because the drivers side broke as well. Funny how that worked out.
edmancheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #26
thizbmn330ci

My Ride: E46 // E30
i was thinking if i did that DIY would eyes come out too. ::
thizbmn330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
I have the same f'n problem, especially when I take people out in my car. Will be doing this soon
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
bmwchappy

My Ride: 99 328i
That's it, when i could not open the cap to refuel because of the module, I decide now was the time, with the changing weather in NY to revisit those board level soldering days, I took the unit out relatively easy thanks to our site, had ordered the relay last yr from http://www.bmwgm5.com/ after an incident where my girlfriend (now wife) could not get in and i could not get out.
Made i think 3 trips to radio shack for a more powerful soldering iron and some cutters, decided it was too much work to unsolder and crushed the 2 relays leaving just the pins to unsolder out. works perfectly now.
The board was not easy, You need the right tools.
bmwchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #29
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'm going to be doing this in the not too distant future. I have two questions:
1) how do I remove the clearcoat from the PCB?
2) What kind of soldering iron should I use to unsolder the relays?

I've been doing DIY electronics work for longer than some of y'all have been alive and I'm still getting stuck. :-(

thanks in advance, etc.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
jmurch

My Ride: 2003 jetta tdi
Door lock DIY

I did this (sent it off for $80) and it works great. 10 min out 10 min back in.

Only one thing I need to add. When I got the module back in it did not work. The trunk and windows were fine but no door locks. Not from the key's remote or the button. I pulled it back out and reseated the 3 connectors and still nothing.

All I had to do was to cycle the locks once using the door key in the drivers door and it started working and has worked perfectly since.

So if you do this and your locks don't work at all try that.

Jeff

Last edited by jmurch; 05-14-2009 at 06:58 PM.
jmurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #31
gfeiner

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek View Post
I'm going to be doing this in the not too distant future. I have two questions:
1) how do I remove the clearcoat from the PCB?
2) What kind of soldering iron should I use to unsolder the relays?

I've been doing DIY electronics work for longer than some of y'all have been alive and I'm still getting stuck. :-(

thanks in advance, etc.
I used a very small flat head screw driver to gently scrape the clearcoat.
I used this soldering iron: http://shop1.frys.com/product/482519...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

desoldering was a pain in the butt. I used a combination of a solder sucker and solder wick. Some pins I still couldn't get enough of the solder out. I ended up carefully cutting the relays away from the circuit board until only their pins were left. That allow me to grab the pin on one side with needle nose pliers and then heat up the solder from the other side and pull it out.
gfeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #32
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurch View Post
Only one thing I need to add. When I got the module back in it did not work. The trunk and windows were fine but no door locks. Not from the key's remote or the button. I pulled it back out and reseated the 3 connectors and still nothing.

All I had to do was to cycle the locks once using the door key in the drivers door and it started working and has worked perfectly since.

So if you do this and your locks don't work at all try that.

Jeff
jmurch,
The first time you try to door lock the door via the key fob or the central console button after reinstalling the GM5 all the doors must be closed. If any of the doors are open it may not work right.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #33
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
i contacted scott and ill be doing this as soon as i get a chance to take the module out, its totally embarrassing....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
evo_q8

My Ride: 9 Sec Evo
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my question was - If I just replaced the GM 5 module, would that just work great or would it need programming done @ the stealership?

Thanks!
evo_q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #35
danielle

My Ride: '98 E46 323i ECE 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_q8 View Post
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my question was - If I just replaced the GM 5 module, would that just work great or would it need programming done @ the stealership?

Thanks!
If the replacement GM was coded differently than yours you may want it re-coded by your desire. There are many settings kept in the GM such as one-touch open/close windows, interior lights, the way the car is unlocked (all doors simultaneously or 1st press of the key fob unlocks just the driver door and 2nd press will open the rest of the doors), rain sensor, home lights and much more...
If you have a friend with GT1 (SSS should do it too) he could do the coding for you and save some $$$, but personally I would prefer to replace the relays or fix my own GM5 if possible, so I will be sure it will last another 10 years. If you pay the same money for the used GM5 replacement as the fixing - I recommend fixing. You can't be sure for how long the replacement will work before it develops the same problem and you'll have to re-do this again.

Last edited by danielle; 07-22-2011 at 02:51 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #36
whopper67

My Ride: 03-325i 06-X3 98-M3
e46 window general module relay repair

FYI - The front pass window of my 03 325i sedan would not roll down, up-yes, down no. I ordered the window relay's from Scott off ebay for $26. DO NOT try to de-solder with braid! I bought a $7 solder vacuum(sucker) which did the job nicely. Took about 30min, replaced the one relay for the front-pass window, re-installed GM5 and it works like a charm!
whopper67 is offline   Reply With Quote