E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
maverick1664

My Ride: 3 Series
BMW e46 318Ci Crankshaft Sensor Installation

HI All,

I have been looking everywhere for a installation guide on changing the CrankShaft Sensor on a 4 Cylinder 318ci e46 2003 Convertible. Could anyone point me the way to a guide on how this is done?

Last question, my previous E46, i could close the windows with using my KeyFob, but this car does not do it? how can i get this feature working?

Cheers friends

Simon
maverick1664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
maverick1664

IS the crank at the right hand side of the engine block?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
miggynuez

My Ride: 2003 2.0L 318i
N42 engine? You have to take out the intake manifold. It's item #3 in the pic from bmwfans.com below. It's kind of a pain to replace if you ask me but pretty straight forward. Oh, and you have to remove the cabin filter assembly before you can remove the intake manifold.

Good Luck!

"Take the first step in faith..."

"Anything with t*ts or wheels will give you problems..."
miggynuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
maverick1664

Is the removal of the inlate Manifold a fairly simple task? or is they aload of cables to disconnect etc.

I aint doing it, taking it to the local mechanics just wanting to get an idea of times etc and difficulty.

Thanks for Replying
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
miggynuez

My Ride: 2003 2.0L 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1664 View Post
Is the removal of the inlate Manifold a fairly simple task? or is they aload of cables to disconnect etc.

I aint doing it, taking it to the local mechanics just wanting to get an idea of times etc and difficulty.

Thanks for Replying
No problem!

I would say it is a hard task for new DIY'ers while It would only take a seasoned mechanic anywhere from 25 to 40 mins to do this job.

Good luck!

"Take the first step in faith..."

"Anything with t*ts or wheels will give you problems..."
miggynuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
e46ers

My Ride: facelifted e46 n42
i think this might useful to change e46 N42B20 crankshaft sensor
http://lynxtx3.blogspot.com/2011/07/...sensor-on.html
e46ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
auto feature

My Ride: E46 318i
Listen, it's a simple job if you put the car on a romp. It's location behind the starter. I watch my mechanic replace mine last week, and he didn't have to remove anything to get to the sensor. I would say, it's a ten minutes job, only one screw to remove,using an allen key.
auto feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto feature View Post
Listen, it's a simple job if you put the car on a romp. It's location behind the starter. I watch my mechanic replace mine last week, and he didn't have to remove anything to get to the sensor. I would say, it's a ten minutes job, only one screw to remove,using an allen key.
It depends on the engine as to where it is located and how difficult it is to get to. My engine - it was a PITA to get to and took me hours to get it done as things had to be removed. Though - I didn't have to take off the manifold like the OP will need to with the N54 engine.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
e46ers

My Ride: facelifted e46 n42
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto feature View Post
i think its easy with I6 engine model as you said, but for my RHD N42 engine, it wasn't easy to access even car on the ramp hence removing the intake would be the only choice.
e46ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
auto feature

My Ride: E46 318i
My car is a M43 engine, i guess it's easily done on mine.
auto feature is offline   Reply With Quote