E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
DME Tuning - TUNERPRO

Alright, i've stumbled upon this out of chance one day on the internet and was wondering if anyone can shed some light. Specifically with crafting .XDF files and naming every graph appropriately with notes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So far I can make sense out of this graph. It shows DISA valve activating relative to Throttle position and rpm. looks like it's somewhat adaptive. Still need to spend some more time to make sense out of it all since I doubt our engines can take 10k rpm's. lol

If anything we can at least raise the speedlimit ourselves lol

The screens are running on my own PC.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Interesting.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
afjwalkerm3

My Ride: 05 M3
I use tunerpro on my Buell. Great program but you really have to know what your doing. I used other guys "race" maps and made minor adjustments from there. It would be awesome to use on the M!
afjwalkerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Good morning Columbus

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=662328&page=7
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
Alright, i've stumbled upon this out of chance one day on the internet and was wondering if anyone can shed some light. Specifically with crafting .XDF files and naming every graph appropriately with notes.

[IMG]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2940/tuningm.png[/IMG ]

So far I can make sense out of this graph. It shows DISA valve activating relative to Throttle position and rpm. looks like it's somewhat adaptive. Still need to spend some more time to make sense out of it all since I doubt our engines can take 10k rpm's. lol

If anything we can at least raise the speedlimit ourselves lol

[IMG]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9241/speedlimitv.png[/IMG ]

The screens are running on my own PC.
Are you able to read the contents of your own DME? Might be a good way to finally quantify the differences between the US, EU2, and EU3 tunes (and perhaps said differences can be "ported" to the MS45.1 cars which technically don't have Euro equivalents)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Lol, Your bin files are actually the ones that I have along with your xdf.

SiemensMS43_software430055.XDF
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Are you able to read the contents of your own DME? Might be a good way to finally quantify the differences between the US, EU2, and EU3 tunes (and perhaps said differences can be "ported" to the MS45.1 cars which technically don't have Euro equivalents)
This post answers that question

Quote:
Tuning BMW obd2 ecus is not that hard, problem is having proper software that will take your downloaded flash and display proper maps and then calculate proper checksum when you change the data on the desired maps. People in europe are already flashing their bmws all the time, I got various euro tunes, but here is US I haven't found any so this tells me that BMW community is not up to the task yet.
I have been tuning nissan and bmw ecus for 8 years now, all tho I don't have an OBD2 bmw I am willing to help the community but you will have to help me too with information.
If someone has a stock flash, and tuned flash file, I could compare the files and in that case make a definition file for tunerpro software, this was the same version of software can be tuned any way you like. Problem is that there is too many versions of stock software and the definition file would have to be made for each version of ecu and version of ecu software.

In this example lets take raymond3080 stock (Ms43) ecu downloaded flash, it is 64kb size but the full flash in that ecu is about 4096kb, a huge file that would take hours downloading from the ecu, so I asume galletto just lets you download the good stuff portion of the file and that is map area. raymond3080 software version is 430064 and that is very important to put down and the flash file should be designated as (.bin) file. Some people say that they can't download the flash that is stops at some point, and some can't even flash it back. This is because the ECU requires minimum of 12.7volts and the car battery is about 12.3v even less if it is left for few minutes with key on engine off to dowload the flash. The uploading the flash requires even more voltage to properly flash it, this is why bench flashing is recommended with about 14 volts on tthe ecu using special made adaptor and voltage supply unit with minimum of 500mah.

From my experience with OBD1 bmws files I was able to find some maps in the raymond3080 stock file and I have made definition file for tunerpro software. I would have to see the comercialy tuned flash of the same version of software to know more.

So for now you can see some maps in raymond's file, go to tunerpro.net and download the software tunerpro for free, then load the XDF file, that is definition file then load the raymond's file, you will need to search "all" files sense raymond made his file a .dat instead of .bin

This forum does not let me post Zip files so PM me and I will send you the file.
so hakken,

based off of that can you compare the us version to euro 3 and eu2 version for differences? or does that only apply to same version tuned files?

I imagine you need the same version simply because the hex code will be in the same spot where as different version reference different hex code locations for the same features. correct?

I really want to get to the bottom of this.

With bimmerfest east comming up I could kindly ask people with tuned files to let me take a dump of their DME. and we would have tons of files to play with.

Pa soft can read a range of hex addresses and output it to a .bin file. I saw you mention you know what the beginning and last address is for the relevant data. If that's te case we can use pa soft to gather tunes. Right?

If that's the case we can start creating xdf files for the latest DME versions. And some older versions.

With some instruction I can assist with xdf files. I imagine the cracked version of winols can be used to sort out the checksum. Do you know if winkfp only updates the 64kb section of the DME? If thats the case then unchecking the checksum flag within winkfp will allow us to flash our own modified 0pa/0da files.

Also have you taken a look at 0da and 0 pa files?

Maybe we can figure out a way to use winkfp to inject our own tuned code into the DME without complication.

Who knows. Wouldn't it be cool to write a vb or c program that all you have to do is open up your bin file and simply select the mods you have done to your car, alter speed limit, rev limit, sap removal, 02 removal etc? with a click of a button once we figure out the code? Dump the output file into WINKFP's software stash and flash it ourselves without a bench and in under 30 minutes?

Here are some oda and opa files that are the latest euro 3

;ZB-NR TYP-NR HW-NR IX SW-NR AM PIN S CS

7545670,7503718,7545150,A,7539692DA,0FFFFFFFFFD,134,1 3

EDIT:I tried pasting the hex code contained in the files but that ended up braking the thread so I can e-mail you the files so you can take a look. Hakken.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 07-29-2011 at 03:18 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I use tunerpro on my e30 and OBD1 applications. I have used WinOls to find the edges of the maps, and then you create an XDF from that. I am curious about the hardware - with the obd1 cars you need a EPROM device so you can read/write/adjust at will. I have never dissassembled and OBD2 ECU but I wonder if they have the same thing inside? Because if all the information is stored on one chip like it is on obd1 cars then how can you overwrite it. I assume the obd2 ecu used a programable memory - or how else would thing slike the shark injector work.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
new//M3fan

welp, no help

I guess

"that BMW community is not up to the task yet."
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
Dme

[QUOTE=mvrk10256;13426177]I use tunerpro on my e30 and OBD1 applications. I have used WinOls to find the edges of the maps, and then you create an XDF from that. I am curious about the hardware - with the obd1 cars you need a EPROM device so you can read/write/adjust at will. I have never dissassembled and OBD2 ECU but I wonder if they have the same thing inside? Because if all the information is stored on one chip like it is on obd1 cars then how can you overwrite it. I assume the obd2 ecu used a programable memory - or how else would thing slike the shark injector work.[/QUOTE

The OBD2 DME has programmable memory in which with the apprppriate tool you can extract the 32kb file which contains the necessary (most of them) files to tune such as fuel, timing, etc.

As for the hardware, you can use the Galletto 1260 or MPPS which you can get on ebay and the price of the MPPS unit will depend if the unit is a china clone or a European clone (this is the one i purchased to be on the safe side)

Honestly, i have these tools and also have WinOLS, but have not been able to understand what maps control what and you have to do some serious reverse engineering to comprend and be able to identify and properly modify. At this moment, i am not even close to doing any type of customization at all.

HTH

Regards,
Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

Quote:
This post answers that question

so hakken,

based off of that can you compare the us version to euro 3 and eu2 version for differences? or does that only apply to same version tuned files?

I imagine you need the same version simply because the hex code will be in the same spot where as different version reference different hex code locations for the same features. correct?

I really want to get to the bottom of this.

With bimmerfest east comming up I could kindly ask people with tuned files to let me take a dump of their DME. and we would have tons of files to play with.

Pa soft can read a range of hex addresses and output it to a .bin file. I saw you mention you know what the beginning and last address is for the relevant data. If that's te case we can use pa soft to gather tunes. Right?

If that's the case we can start creating xdf files for the latest DME versions. And some older versions.

With some instruction I can assist with xdf files. I imagine the cracked version of winols can be used to sort out the checksum. Do you know if winkfp only updates the 64kb section of the DME? If thats the case then unchecking the checksum flag within winkfp will allow us to flash our own modified 0pa/0da files.

Also have you taken a look at 0da and 0 pa files?

Maybe we can figure out a way to use winkfp to inject our own tuned code into the DME without complication.

Who knows. Wouldn't it be cool to write a vb or c program that all you have to do is open up your bin file and simply select the mods you have done to your car, alter speed limit, rev limit, sap removal, 02 removal etc? with a click of a button once we figure out the code? Dump the output file into WINKFP's software stash and flash it ourselves without a bench and in under 30 minutes?

Here are some oda and opa files that are the latest euro 3

;ZB-NR TYP-NR HW-NR IX SW-NR AM PIN S CS

7545670,7503718,7545150,A,7539692DA,0FFFFFFFFFD,134,1 3

EDIT:I tried pasting the hex code contained in the files but that ended up braking the thread so I can e-mail you the files so you can take a look. Hakken.
I guess I should've been more clear - I was wondering if you personally had the hardware to dump your DME. I don't (and I don't have access to any MS43 cars anyway). If this can be used to work with the MSS54, then I'd gladly buy an interface and help in whatever way I can
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
new//M3fan

Quote:
I guess I should've been more clear - I was wondering if you personally had the hardware to dump your DME. I don't (and I don't have access to any MS43 cars anyway). If this can be used to work with the MSS54, then I'd gladly buy an interface and help in whatever way I can
I've read that PA soft can be used to dump the entire DME using our current serial to OBDII interface. I have done that.

Hakken had mentioned he knew the beginning and end HEX addresses where the data to be manipulated is contained.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
TerraPhantm

Quote:
I've read that PA soft can be used to dump the entire DME using our current serial to OBDII interface. I have done that.

Hakken had mentioned he knew the beginning and end HEX addresses where the data to be manipulated is contained.
Tried dumping mine. "EEPROM" is grayed out, and the read memory function gives me junk data (lots 0s and Fs)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
anyway to turn off o2 sensors with this software?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
4dr05zhp6mt

My Ride: e66 Monaco Blue
Send a message via AIM to 4dr05zhp6mt
Quote:
Tried dumping mine. "EEPROM" is grayed out, and the read memory function gives me junk data (lots 0s and Fs)
Google Vag KKL cable. If the EEPROM is grayed out as you put it, first thought that comes to mind is the hardware is not setup correctly.

SOLD05 330i 4dr zhp 6MT Jet Black | AA C38-81 S/C, 80mm pulley, water/meth injection | AA headers | Vac Motorsport 248/256 FI cams |

https://www.4shared.com/account/home...edir=105531274 (link to INPA v5, GTv44, EDIABAS, EasyDIS
4dr05zhp6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dr05zhp6mt View Post
Google Vag KKL cable. If the EEPROM is grayed out as you put it, first thought that comes to mind is the hardware is not setup correctly.
My hardware is fine (using actual PASoft, not demo... works fine for other functions). Probably just doesn't have complete support for the MSS54. Don't really want to install the demo and use it with my other interfaces because it conflicts with the full-version.

Engine doesn't have to be running does it? I was in accessory mode with the car hooked up to a power supply when I tried.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
4dr05zhp6mt

My Ride: e66 Monaco Blue
Send a message via AIM to 4dr05zhp6mt
Reading the EEPROM is a little different than software functionality. In order to have read access to the EEPROM the cpu is usually forced into a configuration mode. This is accomplished via hardware not software as you are attempting to change the state of a hardware pin(pull down resistor) during the processor initialization sequence.

SOLD05 330i 4dr zhp 6MT Jet Black | AA C38-81 S/C, 80mm pulley, water/meth injection | AA headers | Vac Motorsport 248/256 FI cams |

https://www.4shared.com/account/home...edir=105531274 (link to INPA v5, GTv44, EDIABAS, EasyDIS
4dr05zhp6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
welp, no help

I guess

"that BMW community is not up to the task yet."
What the hell are you talking about? Some Euro vs. US program ? WTF? So far I don't see you contributing at all.

Quote:
It won't be worth anything, you need the guy's stock file and the tuned file. So far I did not get none from any of the members so how can you expect me to do anything?

EEPROM feature does not work. To dump the EEPROM on MS43 ecu using PAsoft, use the "read memory" and start 00000 to 7FFFF or what ever option it gives you, the maps are located at the end of the memory, like 5FFFF-7FFFF
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
new//M3fan

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? Some Euro vs. US program ? WTF? So far I don't see you contributing at all.
Search...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...136&highlight=

Don't act like a douche just because you don't know what someone is talking about and throw a fit about it. Instead, ask politely.

I guess you are not aware of WINKFP and e46 DATEN files that contain ALL e46's software versions. If you knew you would know what I was talking about and be able to help;instead of putting your foot in your mouth like you just did.

And yes all we would need is a tuned file since we have a repository of all software versions available.

My question was if you have ever taken a look at the .0da and 0pa WINKFP/NFS BMW hex code to see if it is in fact the same as a dump.

Hell, I could find out myself. All I would have to do is read out my DME and compare it's hex output to the 0da and 0pa files...

Quote:
tart 00000 to 7FFFF or what ever option it gives you, the maps are located at the end of the memory, like 5FFFF-7FFFF
Like? or AT 5FFFF-7FFFF?

Last edited by new//M3fan; 08-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

WINKPF seems to be what dealer uses to flash ecus, I've search and it seems that you need a very expensive GT1 interface with laptop for this to work, it defeats the purpose

You are not contributing anything, you are clueless and all you do is just trowing baseless ideas around