E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

My Ride: BMW ///M3 SMGII
Send a message via AIM to OldGold1906 Send a message via MSN to OldGold1906 Send a message via Yahoo to OldGold1906
The Best High Tech Cars

The Best High Tech Cars
*******>********>
Thu Feb 5, 6:01 AM ET

Jim Louderback - ExtremeTech

What's the best high-tech car on the road? Here are four new cars that combine awesome technology in a cool go-to package.

BMW E60 5 Series: Oh my, this car is a technology tour-de-force. It starts with a redesigned version of the much maligned i-Drive - this one actually works - that gives the driver one-controller access to all the car's technology. But it doesn't stop there. The new 5 series also includes an impressive list of high-tech features.

Active Front Steering, which adjusts the steering transmission ratio electronically, delivers more agility for parking and slow driving, while offering more stability at high speeds. Cornering or sudden turns causes the steering to stiffen - making it even more responsive. The "Dynamic Drive" active suspension filters out bumps and improves stability by eliminating body roll. The "Active Cruse Control" uses radar to automatically keep a safe distance between your car and what's in front of you.

*******>********>
******** marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N2724.yahoo/B1239957.15;sz=300x250;click=http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1274eqgv9/M=264113.4533032.5703726.3317687/D=news/S=96089683:LREC/EXP=1076540662/A=1987377/R=0/*;ord=1076454262433683?" frameBorder=0 width=302 scrolling=no height=252 BORDERCOLOR="#000000">******** **********'JavaScript1.1' SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N2724.yahoo/B1239957.15;abr=!ie;sz=300x250;click=http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1274eqgv9/M=264113.4533032.5703726.3317687/D=news/S=96089683:LREC/EXP=1076540662/A=1987377/R=1/*;ord=1076454262433683?">*********>**********>http://***91;img]http://ad.doubleclick.ne...img]Click Here*********>

But wait, there's more. Adaptive Headlights swivel up to 15 degrees, depending on whether the car is turning. Special electronics and LEDs on the back of the car spring into action during hard braking, increasing the amount of red light generated, to give more warning to tailgating drivers. A cool new "Head-Up Display" projects speed, navigation information, or other important data directly onto the windshield, making it appear to float in front of the drivers face - helping to keep eyes on the road. The air conditioning system even adds humidity back into the air! If you want the highest tech car, this is it.

Lexus LS 430: Although not as overwhelmingly high-tech as the BMW, there's a lot to like with the Lexus. It includes a laser-based system with the cruise control to maintain ample separation between cars. The Lexus also includes active suspension dampening and sound shaping technology to deliver a smooth, quiet and rattle-free ride.

Two technologies combine to help park the Lexus. A sonar system on all four corners help keep you from crashing into fences, parked cars and telephone poles, while a rear-view camera - mounted on the license plate -- helps you get a clear view of the back of the car. The car also includes Bluetooth wireless networking, which lets compatible cell phones automatically connect to the hands-free calling system. You don't even have to take the phone out of your briefcase or purse.

Acura TL: The Acura also includes Bluetooth and a decent GPS navigation system, but it's most interesting for audiophiles. It includes the first DVD Audio system built into the car from the ground up. You may have heard DVD Audio before, but until you hear this surround sound music system in the TL's cabin, you haven't really experienced it. Unlike other cars, which might include 11 speakers, but only in a quasi-stereo format, this is true home-theatre quality sound. This is, quite simply, the best sounding audio system in any car.

Audi A8L: Instead of BMW's flawed iDrive system, this high-end Audi comes with the "Multi Media Interface" (MMI). It's widely considered easier to use, and more intuitive. Instead of one big knob, the MMI uses a dial that you turn, and eight buttons that bring up various settings. The steering wheel includes a separate set of MMI controls, including a scroll-wheel that cycles through navigation, CD and radio settings.

Unlike BMW, not everything went into the high-tech interface. Too hot? Too cold? The three-zone climate control system sits apart, and works just as you'd expect. Some things, perhaps, are better left untouched by technology.

OldGold1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
e46wannabe

My Ride: 04 IS3
Send a message via AIM to e46wannabe
i think the toyota prius should have been included in the list
e46wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Anthony
Bimmerless

My Ride: '09 FX35
the 1984 talking MAXIMA, now that was some hi tech ish!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #4
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony

what the heck is that Ant?

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
NYDawgs777
Banned

My Ride: 03 330XI/MB 87 260 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3urthy
ahaha oh man that sh!t is hot
"your door is open"
lolol
NYDawgs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
flyhigh

My Ride: New Balance
Bah, these cars have nothing on the DeLorean's Flux Capacitor!
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 AM   #7
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3urthy
You don't remember the talking Maxima? Oh my! I got one sitting in storage. You can have it for 1k. It'll talk to you all day. Just leave the doors open, let the fuel tank get low, or something!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:21 AM   #8
Tuscan
I am F1.

My Ride: Needs a S/C V8.
Send a message via AIM to Tuscan
Quote:

DUDE!!!!!! MY PARENTS HAD ONE! a 1986 Maxima it was f*cking sick, they only sold it about 3-4 years ago to donation. it was soooo tight. "RIGHT DOOR IS OPEN" "LIGHTS ARE ON" "KEY IS IN THE IGNITION"
Old 02-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

My Ride: BMW ///M3 SMGII
Send a message via AIM to OldGold1906 Send a message via MSN to OldGold1906 Send a message via Yahoo to OldGold1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan
DUDE!!!!!! MY PARENTS HAD ONE! a 1986 Maxima it was f*cking sick, they only sold it about 3-4 years ago to donation. it was soooo tight. "RIGHT DOOR IS OPEN" "LIGHTS ARE ON" "KEY IS IN THE IGNITION"
That sounds about as annoying as those talking car alarms that came out several years ago.

I remember them going off and saying "stay away from the car, you are too close".............. LOL, you have those things all over the ghetto!

OldGold1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan
oh ****! hahahha, that was a crazy ass car man...my buddy still has one..but i remember them when i was little...hahahah...i thought, "oh man, next they'll be making cars that fly!!"

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #11
bimmer88

My Ride: 06 Lexus GS430
Send a message via AIM to bimmer88
Quote:
We still have ours... ... I remember when i was a kid and my parents told me they got a talking car... hahhahahahah... too bad i don't have a digicam....