E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
xi_chee

My Ride: ///M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glissco27 View Post
THAT is the bumper i want haha looks incredible...how much that whole thing run you?....btw can i keep my oem fogs or would i have to change them
i got the bumper back in feb i believe, i got it from euro-dayne. the complete conversion with bumper, bumper strips, foglights, grill was 290 shipped i dont know if they still have that deal anymore but give them a call.
and for the fogs, they come with fogs, but the bulbs are different...either you can buy the adapter harness of you can just find a ghetto way of mounting them (which i did) lol

ex: 2002 TIAG 325xi (sold), 2007 suzuki gsxr (sold)
current: 2002 carbon black ///M SMG
halogen headlights? want hid projectors? on a budget? maybe i can help! go here!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=840919
xi_chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
wow 290 shipped is unreal ill definitely have to give them a call thanks for all the info
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
tb330

My Ride: 2008 Trailblazer SS
I just wanted to take a few moments to revisit this thread..I recently swapped out my H&R Sports for another set of Eibach's. My reason for switching was because I just became fed up with the ride quality on the H&R's. I enjoy having a fairly stiff suspension, but with my daily commute the H&R's were just too much to deal with after a few months. They offered an awesome drop, but I was willing to lose a bit of the drop for a more comfortable ride. I would still recommend them for a great drop, but just advise against if you want a more comfortable ride, which is more important to me right now than stance.

Now the first time I had Eibach's on the car I had a shop install them for me because I didn't have a suitable place to do the job myself. I believe that they were installed wrong because the ride height is quite different and also the ride quality is also quite different. The car is still on the stock shocks and also has the 5mm spring pads in the back again, after putting the stock springs back on for a few weeks I realized the horrible quality wasn't a result of worn shocks so I figured I might as well reuse them and see what happens before throwing another few hundred dollars at the car. After having the Eibach's installed for the past few weeks I think I have enough time behind the wheel to give a good review. With the initial set I was hitting the bump stops way too often, but have yet to have this happen after installing them this past time. The ride quality rivals the stock in comfort, but feels more connected and predictable in comparison, which is exactly what I was looking for. The handling of the car is certainly improved over stock and honestly feels almost the same as the H&R's did. Lastly the drop is exactly what I wanted for a dd, it's low enough to eliminate most of the wheel gap and give the car a more aggressive stance while maintaining enough clearance to keep the car from scraping everywhere I go. I'd definitely recommend the Eibach's to any fellow XI drivers looking to eliminate 4x4 status without sacrificing too much in the comfort department. I'd also recommend doing your own work to make sure the job is done correctly the first time...would have saved me a good chunk of change had it been done correctly the first time!

They also have a promotion going on until the end of August that gets you a rebate for 10% of the purchase price as long as its purchased from a licensed dealer.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb330 View Post
I just wanted to take a few moments to revisit this thread..I recently swapped out my H&R Sports for another set of Eibach's. My reason for switching was because I just became fed up with the ride quality on the H&R's. I enjoy having a fairly stiff suspension, but with my daily commute the H&R's were just too much to deal with after a few months. They offered an awesome drop, but I was willing to lose a bit of the drop for a more comfortable ride. I would still recommend them for a great drop, but just advise against if you want a more comfortable ride, which is more important to me right now than stance.

Now the first time I had Eibach's on the car I had a shop install them for me because I didn't have a suitable place to do the job myself. I believe that they were installed wrong because the ride height is quite different and also the ride quality is also quite different. The car is still on the stock shocks and also has the 5mm spring pads in the back again, after putting the stock springs back on for a few weeks I realized the horrible quality wasn't a result of worn shocks so I figured I might as well reuse them and see what happens before throwing another few hundred dollars at the car. After having the Eibach's installed for the past few weeks I think I have enough time behind the wheel to give a good review. With the initial set I was hitting the bump stops way too often, but have yet to have this happen after installing them this past time. The ride quality rivals the stock in comfort, but feels more connected and predictable in comparison, which is exactly what I was looking for. The handling of the car is certainly improved over stock and honestly feels almost the same as the H&R's did. Lastly the drop is exactly what I wanted for a dd, it's low enough to eliminate most of the wheel gap and give the car a more aggressive stance while maintaining enough clearance to keep the car from scraping everywhere I go. I'd definitely recommend the Eibach's to any fellow XI drivers looking to eliminate 4x4 status without sacrificing too much in the comfort department. I'd also recommend doing your own work to make sure the job is done correctly the first time...would have saved me a good chunk of change had it been done correctly the first time!

They also have a promotion going on until the end of August that gets you a rebate for 10% of the purchase price as long as its purchased from a licensed dealer.
My shocks and coils are old and dying on my 01 325xi. I want a drop as well because I'm tired of my BMW looking like a jeep wrangler ha. Now I am seriously considering going with h&r/bilstein(spelling?) setup.

My main concern is that by doing this I will cause issues with other parts of my car. I have seen several comments about the axel being problematic with xi drops. Is this true? If what exactly happens? My cv outer boots are both torn to death so I'm replacing those when I do my suspension. My mechanic said my cv joint is all good now though... Will my joint be put under stress with a drop?

Further more, should I replace other original parts such as RSM's and such or Is that unnecessary?

Great thread so far !
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
stock sport suspension here.. so would you guys not recommend bilstein/h&r on a daily driver? ive been considering getting that setup but now im thinking about just getting h&r springs and keeping the stock shocks. i go out for drives often too and i think my suspension feels alright as it is.. but i just want to get rid of the wheel gap in the front.. so i think i might just get springs.. i dunno.

edit: oh ok.. after a little more research ive found out that the bilstein shocks are recommended as the springs will wear out your shocks faster. so if i do anything ill get the whole kit i guess
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29

Last edited by luc; 08-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #26
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
i daily my h&R/bilstein setup.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I use Bilstein + H&R on bad roads, it would not be my 1st choice if I did it again
Although, after upgrading the rear to M3 Bilstein Sports, it is much better. Before the upgrade it was very 'tiring' as a daily driver.
On good roads it is simply superb.

From what I can tell, H&R sits a bit lower which results in a harsher ride compared to Eibach.
That is more the issue than which shocks you get.
Good roads? Get anything & it will impress.
Bad roads? Avoid H&R, get Eibach with either Bilstein or Koni.
Obviously koni will be better, they are adjustable, but you pay fo it.
We must also define bad roads... My roads are horrific, bridges falling, overpasses falling... Holes all over lol
Like I said, on good roads my car is amazing.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #28
JZambrano7

My Ride: 2003 325xi
did you end up changing your control arms hows your tire thread life

-JZ7-
JZambrano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Eibach+ bilstein HD struts+ e36 m3 bilstein shocks.

^that's the best setup for an xi.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #30
xtascox

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Eibach+ bilstein HD struts+ e36 m3 bilstein shocks.

^that's the best setup for an xi.
Out of curiosity, why the HD's and not sports? Wouldn't sports be better since the eibachs will lower the ride height?
xtascox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
chsu74

My Ride: 325XI/5,993TT,GL320
I installed Eibach and Bilstein HD setup this past winter. I don't drive my car very much anymore so it took until May for the springs to settle. Its a good ride and I would equal close to stock. This setup equals to a normal RWD ride height; perhaps another 0.5" lower but really not that noticeable.

I was driving a bit hard in the rain yesterday and encountered more understeer going up a highway ramp than ever before. It is predictable and nice to know that I can push this stock setup to the edge again.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote