E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
CAB, Front CV, FML

So last week, I got a flat tire (sidewall hole) and has the two rears replaced. They no longer make the same tire so I bought two rears as close as a match to the fronts as I could find.

Over the past week, when I am on the highway, my car felt much much looser. Almost like the rear end was swinging around. If I went to correct or switch lanes at WOT I would have to over correct. After 111k miles, something just felt wrong.

I think to myself great, I need new control arms, cab, etc. I get under my car tonight and the bushings felt fine when I jacked the car up and pushed/pulled the wheel at 12/6 and 3/9.

So my current issues are

1. How do I figure out what the hell is wrong with the handling? Is the wandering car due to the CA's going bad? Is there anything else prone to failure that I missed? How to test?

2. My CV shafts aren't clicking so I think I'm going to just replace the boots. Any good DIY's on the boot removal/replacement? How do you get the new boot on?

3. Is it possible that the car is wandering due to two different sets of tires front and back?

Please help, my e46 brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
what about your steering column rubber flex disc? they can wear out and cause excessive steering wheel play. tie rods?? any play there?
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
BLAU III

that's an interesting suggestions. Any pointers on how to tell if its the steering flex disc? THe entire suspension is pretty tight. i was hanging off the wheels and couldnt get any play.

Quote:
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
go over a speedbump at a slight angle and see if the back end of the car kinda side-steps. if it is, than your RTABS are shot. Also check your front sway bar links.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
if you remove the airbox the steering flex disc is right underneath it. It may look fine but still could be bad, not sure how you really diagnose it without removing it. loose steering feel i guess
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
Mixing tires is notorious for causing this.
Look no further.
It may not seem like a big deal, and not sure what you meant by buying tires "as close a match as possible"...
How close?

With the high tech construction of tires these days, mixing- especially with AWD will be very apparent and some ppl would say dangerous.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
BLAU III

It was absolutely 100% the tires. I got two new fronts that match the rears and the problem went away. My drivers side cv is cracked so i've been gentle but i can totally feel a difference at speed. Sadly, two new tires was the cheapest solution.

Thanks for the input all!

Quote:
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
BLAU III

This drivers side cv has been giving me a run for my money tonight. I finally got it out (thats what she said) of the steering knuckle but for the life of my i can't get it out of the tranny. I actually pulled so hard the inner b oot came off. Now i just have the hard part that comes out of the tranny. How the fvck do you get a prybar in there? !

Quote:
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
This drivers side cv has been giving me a run for my money tonight. I finally got it out (thats what she said) of the steering knuckle but for the life of my i can't get it out of the tranny. I actually pulled so hard the inner b oot came off. Now i just have the hard part that comes out of the tranny. How the fvck do you get a prybar in there? !

Get the CV back in there.... Hit it With Hammer ... but do not damage the lines on the end Tip of the axle... gently, but hard hit... will bust it in... use a WOOD to cover Rotors.. =D beat that shiit back in... CAREFULLY!
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
BLAU III

I actually used a 2x4 on the hub and pounded it like a $5 *****. All is good. not looking forward to ever doing that again!!

If my thread comes up in anyone's search AVOID BUYING AN XI, def not worth it!! so much cost for little return.

Quote: