E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark325i View Post
Done. Picked up the $2.39 pack of assorted O-rings from Autozone and all's well. Thanks for the valuable info.
Mark
Hope one fits. I know the 'intake air temp sensor' o-ring is the same as on the cooling temp sensor, but otherwise isn't available as a 'part.' If you get the IAT sensor 0-ring, it will fit...just in case one of your ass't o-rings doesn't.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #42
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Sorry to thread jack but how does one pressure check the cooling system?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #43
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Sorry to thread jack but how does one pressure check the cooling system?
Easiest would be to start the car and wait until it gets to op temp and look.

I'm sure you could also just get a cap to fit on ET that has a fitting for adding pressure to the system...or you could make one from old ET cap.

Don't got above 1.5 bar or so...the cap blows at 2 bar for a reason.

It'd make it easier to find leaks if you added a uv dye and looked with appropriate flashlight and glasses...shops will have this stuff.

If you have a leak, suspect ET first...and if you have a leak, fix it before driving, it could get much worse, very quickly...though some leaks do seem to stay stable...WP, radiator, Therm...if any of them are leaking, they might stay on the slowish side of leaking and you could drive a little with them like that, but you need to monitor the fluid level...and do that when the car is cool. (Didn't know if you knew!)

That's a start...are you overheating, frequently adding coolant? Replaced everything in the system but the radiator? (My radiator blew at around 185K miles or so)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 08-07-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #44
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Easiest would be to start the car and wait until it gets to op temp and look.

I'm sure you could also just get a cap to fit on ET that has a fitting for adding pressure to the system...or you could make one from old ET cap.

Don't got above 1.5 bar or so...the cap blows at 2 bar for a reason.

It'd make it easier to find leaks if you added a uv dye and looked with appropriate flashlight and glasses...shops will have this stuff.

If you have a leak, suspect ET first...and if you have a leak, fix it before driving, it could get much worse, very quickly...though some leaks do seem to stay stable...WP, radiator, Therm...if any of them are leaking, they might stay on the slowish side of leaking and you could drive a little with them like that, but you need to monitor the fluid level...and do that when the car is cool. (Didn't know if you knew!)

That's a start...are you overheating, frequently adding coolant? Replaced everything in the system but the radiator? (My radiator blew at around 185K miles or so)
Thanks!!! I borrowed a pressure tester from autozone and placed it on the ET and put pressure... I expected coolant to leak out from somewhere but it didn't. I'm probably doing it wrong or expecting different results.

I notice a small pool of coolant under the passenger side of my hood. It seems like it's coming from the t-stat or the hose that connects to it. I replaced my cooling system a couple months ago or so. It never overheated according to my coolant temp gauge and I have to add a bit of coolant every couple weeks.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #45
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Thanks!!! I borrowed a pressure tester from autozone and placed it on the ET and put pressure... I expected coolant to leak out from somewhere but it didn't. I'm probably doing it wrong or expecting different results.

I notice a small pool of coolant under the passenger side of my hood. It seems like it's coming from the t-stat or the hose that connects to it. I replaced my cooling system a couple months ago or so. It never overheated according to my coolant temp gauge and I have to add a bit of coolant every couple weeks.
On pass side, it could be from therm or lower radiator hose, but I think another good bet is the temp sensor o-ring...attaching to the lower hose.

The intake air temp sensor o-ring is an exact match for the coolant temp sensor.

And guys replace them and plug it back in while plugging the hole with their finger..something like that. I haven't done it.

xl50 can help you find leak!

A recent set