E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Marconi1982

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport
Can someone explain how the M3 Fuel tank baffle works?

Just fitted the M3 fuel tank baffle to my 2001 330Ci and i have no idea how or if it will work. Surely the pick up comes from the gauze on the bottom of the pump and not from the newly relocated pipe in the baffle.
Any ideas?
Marconi1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
i'm not sure exactly about the m3 fuel baffle, but baffles in general just help the liquid from moving around in the tank, not necessarily where it picks up from.

are you asking about teh fuel pickup or the baffle?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Marconi1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
i'm not sure exactly about the m3 fuel baffle, but baffles in general just help the liquid from moving around in the tank, not necessarily where it picks up from.

Ok i dont know if you've ever seen this baffle but its not at all like a baffle you'd imagine. I havent got any pics but its rather strange. You'll see what i mean if someone adds some pics. Quite baffling .....
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Marconi1982

Also has anyone else noticed that it doesnt really clip in all that well?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Marconi1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post

Here is a link to some pics. It's a bit weird.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...baffle+fixture
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I retrofitted an M3 fuel baffle into my xi. I basically corrals the fuel that comes from the siphon tube into a box and contains it just below the fuel pump. It prevents fuel starvation during cornering. You might be able to track your car with a little less fuel and have less weight as a result.
In daily driving it helps maintain even fuel flow doing quick turns at traffic arrows and driving through traffic circles when you have under 1/4 tank.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I often drive with the fuel gauge below the zero mark. I never once experienced fuel starvation. I don't have a baffle, unless they fitted one at the factory. My guess is that if you are having fuel starvation, your problem is elsewhere.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Marconi1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
I often drive with the fuel gauge below the zero mark. I never once experienced fuel starvation. I don't have a baffle, unless they fitted one at the factory. My guess is that if you are having fuel starvation, your problem is elsewhere.
I only Get this problem when hard cornering on the road and when on the track. I spoke to another guy who had the same problem. He fitted this and it sorted it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
99 black gt

My Ride: 2000 OB 328i
my stock GM car has a similar device, it's a capsul that surrounds the pump and fills it'self even when the tank is almost dry so that the pump doesn't overheat or starve in corners
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi1982 View Post
I only Get this problem when hard cornering on the road and when on the track. I spoke to another guy who had the same problem. He fitted this and it sorted it.
The baffle may not look like what you would expect but it still does what you would expect which is hold some fuel in reserve such that it doesn't slosh away from the pickup under heavy G loads. It doesn't change anything about the fuel pump pickup tube. The relocation of the siphon tube ensures that this added fuel baffle "cell" is filled with fuel as it's being transferred from the other side of the tank. The fuel then trickles out of this "cell" into the more traditional baffles built into the bottom of the tank.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
The problem isn't strictly about fuel level. The problem is the combination of 1/4 tank or less of fuel typically combined with very high levels of lateral acceleration such as might be experienced on a long sweeper on a race track or while taking a cloverleaf at high speed. The problem is well known by those who track their car. With relatively sane street driving, you would never experience this.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 08-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi1982 View Post
Also has anyone else noticed that it doesnt really clip in all that well?
Yeah when you put it in it doesn't feel right, I had to take mine out and make sure I had put it in right.

I think how it works is that normally the fuel will just slosh out of the rectangular tray, with the fixture there the fuel that sloshes out is replaced with the 'reservoir' effect the fixture gives.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
The M3 baffle is just a small cup with a small hole to allow fuel into the pickup pint and also slow down the fuel drain from the pickup point during high g cornering. The cup in the baffle provide a few more seconds of fuel during this critical time to prevent starvation. Nothing fancy, but it works as longs as you're not doing skid pad test for more than a few seconds at a time.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote