E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
TopasBlau46

My Ride: 2001 E46 325ci ZSP
Removing actual bumper?

How do I transport the front bumper (the actual metal part, the carrier, diagram below) from the stock bumper to the Mtech II bumper? There are a bunch of clips similar to those in the trunk.

Part 1

51118195300 is the part number.

I need to transplant it to my new bumper. How do I remove the clips?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Figure it out yet?

...just remove the clips, transplant the metal support to the new bumper, insert clips. Take them out with a trim popping tool or small flathead/pliers.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
TopasBlau46

Which clips are they? Only the 3-4 that lie near the grill that pop out with the flat head screwdriver?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
yea it sounds like you've got the right ones, they're the expansion rivets(aka clips)... i think when i put on my mtech II, that the II used a few less clips than my mtech I bumper, though it wasn't an oem mtech II, just that brand everyone else seems to sell.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
TopasBlau46

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
yea it sounds like you've got the right ones, they're the expansion rivets(aka clips)... i think when i put on my mtech II, that the II used a few less clips than my mtech I bumper, though it wasn't an oem mtech II, just that brand everyone else seems to sell.
So I only need to remove those 4 clips? And then it will come completely off?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
k2pilot

i believe so, just get some towels and set the bumper on top if it, you can literally see all the clips protruding through the metal beam itself, which makes it quite easy to spot all that you need to take out. though i'm fairly certain there's far more than 4... the 4 you may be referring to are the things that hold that plastic grill in place? there was 4 of those, and they weren't expansion rivets. there should also be two bolt's and nuts, and these are the bolt's with the strange square heads.

so my advice is look at the inner section of the metal beam, and you will quite clearly see all of the rivet ends sticking through, then just look on their top side and pull the center pin out and the rest of the rivet should come right out.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
TopasBlau46

So there are metal pieces that hold the metal carrier to the bumper, not just the rivets?

I'm going to reattempt this later on, and I need to finish it.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
k2pilot

yea, i mean it's still really simple.. just two little bolts, no biggy... and loose enough that you can take it out with your hands and a plier.

just disconnect anything that goes into the metal beam!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
TopasBlau46

Quote:
yea, i mean it's still really simple.. just two little bolts, no biggy... and loose enough that you can take it out with your hands and a plier.

just disconnect anything that goes into the metal beam!
those aren't the two ones that hold the bumper "cover" to the metal part though right? the T-50 ones? because i already disconnected those.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
k2pilot

no, you're referring to what attaches the plastic cover(the actual mtech II or I part) to the metal beam, correct? the metal beam with the two t50 bolts go through?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
TopasBlau46

Quote:
no, you're referring to what attaches the plastic cover(the actual mtech II or I part) to the metal beam, correct? the metal beam with the two t50 bolts go through?
Yes.

It seems I can't disconnect the metal part (known as the "carrier" by BMW) from the stock bumper cover.

Here's a picture of what seems to keep it attached (there are 6+ of these):

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

I already removed all restricting expansion rivets, the only bolts I have removed are the two main T-50 ones.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
k2pilot

hmm i don't exactly recalls those(i simply never had them) but perhaps your ci bumper is different in that aspect, though i'd be really quite surprised if this wasn't covered in a DIY i mean normally people point out variations between the different chassis...

that said those things do look familiar... and i just searched google and yup, paintball guns use them, they're called ASA bolts(as realoem indicates), if you had a clearer picture i could tell you what tool to use... but i can't really see! darn cell phone pics.

also just as some general photo advice, you will have much better luck getting a subject in focus by standing further away and just zooming in, then focusing.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
TopasBlau46

Bummer Sun has nearly set so no new pics tonite, but that's extremely annoying it's taking forever to get this to work!

And they are plastic/rubbery, are ASA bolts like that? Am I screwed?

Last edited by TopasBlau46; 09-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.
TopasBlau46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
wtf dude just rip them off, it's not a big deal or anything. you're being way too paranoid about this. if you want, get some good and in-focus pictures of what's holding the bumper on and i'll tell you exactly what to do.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
k2pilot

^^^ what he said

come on, you've got a bmw! you've gotta be pretty smart.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
you should have had me help, I did this Saturday

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
TopasBlau46

got it all finished today, thanks for everyones help

fitment near fenders clearly isn't OEM, but for 1/3 the price quite acceptable.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Sorry to revive the old topic, but how exactly to detach these fasteners:
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote