E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
without getting too much into it, all the grilles are the same.. there is one manufacturer that use to be the 'go to source' for them, but when this other manufacturer got 'bigger' now everyone goes to them.. there are only a few vendors that still are at the previously best manufacturer, and i have not seen a vendor on this forum or any other bmw forum carry their stuff for years

same with bumpers, there's one mfg everyone use to use, then someone else came out with much higher quality stuff, so everyone kind of merged over to the new one, manufacturing goes in cycles just like everything else
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean | KHOALTY, Inc View Post
without getting too much into it, all the grilles are the same.. there is one manufacturer that use to be the 'go to source' for them, but when this other manufacturer got 'bigger' now everyone goes to them.. there are only a few vendors that still are at the previously best manufacturer, and i have not seen a vendor on this forum or any other bmw forum carry their stuff for years

same with bumpers, there's one mfg everyone use to use, then someone else came out with much higher quality stuff, so everyone kind of merged over to the new one, manufacturing goes in cycles just like everything else
So essentially every sponsor carries the same bumper (M-tech II, CSL, M3) replicas for different prices?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #23
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
So essentially every sponsor carries the same bumper (M-tech II, CSL, M3) replicas for different prices?
No... They are supplied by different companies. That's like saying that every orange sold in every grocery store are grown in the same place.

With the grills, which I don't know too much about so don't get on my case, I'm guessing by what umnitza is saying is that there is a preferred nanufacture that most companies use.
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #24
///Mspired

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
No... They are supplied by different companies. That's like saying that every orange sold in every grocery store are grown in the same place.

With the grills, which I don't know too much about so don't get on my case, I'm guessing by what umnitza is saying is that there is a preferred nanufacture that most companies use.
yeah but what Dean just said is very contradicting. He says that all grilles are the same but then goes on to say that there is more than one MANUFACTURE. How does that make sense?
///Mspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #25
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mspired View Post
yeah but what Dean just said is very contradicting. He says that all grilles are the same but then goes on to say that there is more than one MANUFACTURE. How does that make sense?
He confuses me sometimes too.
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #26
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
the m tech II front bumper there is basically one great manufacturer and plenty of trading companies.. some vendors purchase from trading companies, which limits or increases the available product lines, but also influences prices.

the 'con' to trading companies is the manufacturer may not want to provide them with every part they sell, which is why some vendors have both fitments for the m tech ii rear bumpers, and some only have a coupe or sedan fitment, also explains the m tech ii side skirts and the various pricing given.

a pro to trading companies (which we do not use) is that they typically have lower minimum order quantities, but will 100% of the time have an increased margin than going direct to the manufacturer, which is why our prices are low (everyone else could be doing this too, who knows, but then why are their prices higher than ours? that's a story for a different night)

on the M3 bumpers there is essentially one manufacturer but multiple trade companies, but the M3 bumper mold is not very good, as many have experienced here, no matter which vendor you purchase an M3 front from, the fitment will be undesired and requires further modification. we are actively trying to find another manufacturer for the M3 fronts, at which point we will carry them.

there is obviously much more to it than described above, but just a little bit of info for those who don't work behind the scenes!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #27
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

Quote:
not contradicting at all, there are grilles that you see vendors around the bmw forums advertise and sell to customers, and then there are the disgusting ones which you can find by searching ebay

that is the difference between the two manufacturers, one mfg holds much closer to OEM fitment and specification, the other decides they can style the grilles better than bmw could.. we, as well as most, choose the 'closer to oem style' ones, some of the 'weird' ones are just too out there
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
I hear kho's service is terriable. Jlevi ftw

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post

You hit it right on the head.
There are:
Several Taiwanese companies making these grills.
Then there are hundreds of trading companies selling them.
Of course a few of them got greedy and sent the parts to China to have them duplicated. The problem is, the Chinese usually do a good job but when you are duplicating a duplicate, you have failures.

That's how you see incredibly lower prices from some vendors and higher prices from others and still much higher prices from others.

In this "game" we call retail, everyone is looking for an "edge".

Quote:
Here's the dirty little secret about retailing, everyone is looking for an edge.

The edge we have is we've been around a long long time, we've helped and installed thousands of products on customers cars. Our guys are trained on the maximum amount of products possible.

Some vendors pretend to be your friend, acting like Robin Hood. Other vendors don't do any pretending and sell products based on their racing pedigree. Other vendors sell products based on their ability to deliver exception phone service and support. Still, other vendors deliver a combination of all those things.

I can only speak for Umnitza's behalf of course. Our focus started out much like some vendors in the early days. We slashed prices, we destroyed status quo with costs so low it was amazing at the time. Over time we realized that people still expected good service, the ability to talk to someone on the phone to get a consultation, and to get a variety of parts.

We're far from perfect, no vendor is. But I can assure y'all that as we continue to grow both as a company and as a customer base, you will get the absolute best we can offer you all the time. Not just because we have lower prices and want to "steal" your business without any service to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post

Please consider us as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post

Yea, I've seen the thread of Dean acting like a ****, will never do business with them again for this very reason.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
Crossfire05

My Ride: 330ci
Umnitza Rocks! Thx for the great stickers!!!

Crossfire05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire05 View Post
Umnitza Rocks! Thx for the great stickers!!!

It's not because of the stickers I hope
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #33
Alpha Beta

My Ride: Los Angeles
Thinking about becoming a vendor! Not gonna lie.

I'm thinking about the savings I could extend to all fanatics by not having a staggering overhead cost, an 800 toll free number etc ...

Customer service will be slightly affected but will be run like a family business! Business will be conducted in an honest and straightforward way.

A new business model in these tough times (dow bellow 11000 btw today)

I will choose products based on what particular item is mostly in demand at a certain time.

Let me know guys. I'm serious!

I will start a new thread with this idea and hopefully get some positive feedback.
Alpha Beta is offline   Reply With Quote