E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Bent strut tower and left lower control arm (alignment question)

So I need to get an alignment after replacing my rear bushings. When I took my car into BMW for the rear sub frame inspection they listed a couple things that need to be fixed. Should I replace these two things before the alignment or won't it matter at this point? It's been aligned before without issue with this problem, is it worth the money for a car with 111k miles that I'm going to keep until I'm done with college?

Part and # they listed.

Right Front Strut Tower (bent)
mount 31336752735 - $75.03

Left Lower Control Arm (bent) 4R 33326770813 $155.61

IDK what to do.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
It's worth it.

For the upper strut tower mount get Meyle HD about 35 a piece and meyle HD CA for 130. I would also suggest getting re-enforcement plates fitted and your towers straightened out as well.

Also, It's not the upper strut tower mounts that bend it's actually the strut tower POS sheet metal. Which is why i suggest fitting re-inforcement plates as they can be used as a template to straighten the strut tower.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 07-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
scrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
It's worth it.

For the upper strut tower mount get Meyle HD about 35 a piece and meyle HD CA for 130. I would also suggest getting re-enforcement plates fitted and your towers straightened out as well.

Also, It's not the upper strut tower mounts that bend it's actually the strut tower POS sheet metal. Which is why i suggest fitting re-inforcement plates as they can be used as a template to straighten the strut tower.
I've replaced my all struts and springs myself, can I do the rest myself?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
I've replaced my all struts and springs myself, can I do the rest myself?
I can. idk about you.

Use a 2x4 piece of wood on top of the strut towers and a 3 pound hammer to straighten it out carefully while the re-enforcement plate sits underneath and using it as a benchmark on where the sheet metal should rest.

Then just tighten everything and the remaining damage will be straightened by the plate once you sandwich everything together.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 07-15-2011 at 09:47 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
scrace

Quote:
I can. idk about you.

Use a 2x4 piece of wood on top of the strut towers and a 3 pound hammer to straighten it out carefully while the re-enforcement plate sits underneath and using it as a benchmark on where the sheet metal should rest.

Then just tighten everything and the remaining damage will be straightened by the plate once you sandwich everything together.
the problem is when I look at everything it doesn't seem damaged at all, if it's bent it's just slight to the point of almost nothing. I didn't have any issues installing the struts at the start everything fit perfectly.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
new//M3fan

Quote:
the problem is when I look at everything it doesn't seem damaged at all, if it's bent it's just slight to the point of almost nothing. I didn't have any issues installing the struts at the start everything fit perfectly.
That's a judgement call you're going to have to make since I haven't looked at them.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
scrace

So I am now getting around to doing this. How can I even tell if the tower is bent and how to bend it back? Would any alinement place be able to fix it? I can do the strut tower replacement myself, just unsure of how to fix what is bent or if it's even bent and the dealer was just guessing because I broke the nipple that goes through the hole at the top of the tower.

Are these the best reinforcement plates?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-32...ates-pair.aspx

Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
new//M3fan

Quote:
So I am now getting around to doing this. How can I even tell if the tower is bent and how to bend it back? Would any alinement place be able to fix it? I can do the strut tower replacement myself, just unsure of how to fix what is bent or if it's even bent and the dealer was just guessing because I broke the nipple that goes through the hole at the top of the tower.

Are these the best reinforcement plates?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-32...ates-pair.aspx
yes, those are the plates. I would just call your dealership and ask them to look them under any model year 330xi or 325xi and ask if they can do any better then the price they qouted you. That's what I did and they had them in stock.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
scrace

Quote:
yes, those are the plates. I would just call your dealership and ask them to look them under any model year 330xi or 325xi and ask if they can do any better then the price they qouted you. That's what I did and they had them in stock.
I'd prefer to do it myself, I want to learn as much as possible.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
SLP

My Ride: E46 330ci
Hello, I recently had my 330 ci 2002 in to the dealer for inspection and they said the strut towers are bent, and need to be replaced along with the mounts. Can you guys shed some light on the subject? I can do the repairs with a good friend who is a Mechanic at Mercedes Benz, but is it a good idea to just "bend" back the towers and reinforce them? Forgive me for not knowing more about them. I just don't want to do this, realize I should not have and then put my self in a huge hole with a worse front end. Reason i took it in to the dealership (BMW) in the first place was it was wearing out the front tires (inner) and so I figured something was up obviously.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited by SLP; 11-27-2013 at 02:29 AM.
SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP View Post
Hello, I recently had my 330 ci 2002 in to the dealer for inspection and they said the strut towers are bent, and need to be replaced along with the mounts. Can you guys shed some light on the subject? I can do the repairs with a good friend who is a Mechanic at Mercedes Benz, but is it a good idea to just "bend" back the towers and reinforce them? Forgive me for not knowing more about them. I just don't want to do this, realize I should not have and then put my self in a huge hole with a worse front end. Reason i took it in to the dealership (BMW) in the first place was it was wearing out the front tires (inner) and so I figured something was up obviously.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Common practice for bent strut towers is to hammer them back in shape (lots of info+pics if you search here), then use the genuine strut reinforcement plates to prevent such issues. All these within reasonable limits of course, ie if the strut tower has cracked then a replacement might be a better solution

Last edited by paraklas; 11-27-2013 at 03:34 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote