E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
hcardona111793

My Ride: 2004 325i
UPDATED WITH FINISHED PICS!!!!***Types of CF Interior/ Exterior wraps. Assistance?

Hey,

so im planning on doing my interior and exterior carbon fiber wrapping but i dont know what too choose. i know there are different options like:

Cloth/ vinyl

3M or "carbon wrap"

so im doing it in a dark grey color and i found this website:

http://www.destronsgarage.com/home

that has it in gunmetal color which is what i want but its not 3M?

so how durable is this stuff and has anyone tried it from there?

thanks!

hey everyone: so i fianlly used the gunmetal from the website above and check it out.

Last edited by hcardona111793; 08-13-2011 at 01:00 AM.
hcardona111793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Search dude...fake carbon fiber posts and real stuff all over this site.....
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
3M Di-Noc ftw.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I just ordered from the same people, but in gun metal color.

The difference between 'fabric' and 'dinoc' is the dinoc (=3M) stuff is easier to apply but feels very plasticky. The Fabric stuff feels like cloth, has an actual weave in it and once applied looks and feels better.

There are fans of both things. I researched and chose the fabric stuff.

BTW the destronsgarage people have great service. I was very impressed.
SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
hcardona111793

Thanks! and yes i agree.

i came to the conclusion that the fabric would be more appropriate for interior use while the plastic would seem more durable for exterior.

i ordered the exact one as you, gun metal, for my interior trim, and will be ordering black 3m dinoc for my hood/roof.

thanks man!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
Let me know how it goes, are you wrapping all the wood trim? If so, how much did you order?
Sanchjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
hcardona111793

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchjer View Post
Let me know how it goes, are you wrapping all the wood trim? If so, how much did you order?
im doing my trim yes, silver trim, and i read on a bunch of threads that 1 yard is about right, with some room to mess up with. il put some pics up when im done.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchjer View Post
I ordered 2 yards, I want to have enough to dick around and not be nervous. Besides, it's so cheap that I prefer having extra
SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Talk to the gentleman who runs Beemerevolution.com (? If that doesn't work exactly, google it and see what the exact site is, be it .org .net or what not).

He performs wraps on trim for a price...but also can sell you the quality stuff and get you the right amount, just note it's for a coupe.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I plan on wrapping my interior trim as well. I ordered a 4 foot by 2 foot sheet of di noc 3m cf vinyl from ecs tuning. I heard the fabric feels better but I dont plan on really petting or groping my trim lol. Plus vinyl is self adhesive where as the fabric requires you to glue as well correct?
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
hcardona111793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
I plan on wrapping my interior trim as well. I ordered a 4 foot by 2 foot sheet of di noc 3m cf vinyl from ecs tuning. I heard the fabric feels better but I dont plan on really petting or groping my trim lol. Plus vinyl is self adhesive where as the fabric requires you to glue as well correct?
i did my research, i ordered sample pieces of both and the 3m dinoc is great stuff but it shiny and plastic feel. Also more expensive.... but it would be great for something exterior, like hood or roof wrap.

on the other hand, the cloth has a matte feel to it and feels more like the actually carbon fiber where you can feel the woven bits and all.

regardless if they come with glue or not, i use the 3m super 77 primer for both, it just makes it last twice as long.

also keep in mind the cloth is thicker so if you are planning on doing some tight corners or so on, then the 3m is the job for that.

overall, they are both quality and suitable for the job, just what you prefer.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcardona111793 View Post
i did my research, i ordered sample pieces of both and the 3m dinoc is great stuff but it shiny and plastic feel. Also more expensive.... but it would be great for something exterior, like hood or roof wrap.

on the other hand, the cloth has a matte feel to it and feels more like the actually carbon fiber where you can feel the woven bits and all.

regardless if they come with glue or not, i use the 3m super 77 primer for both, it just makes it last twice as long.

also keep in mind the cloth is thicker so if you are planning on doing some tight corners or so on, then the 3m is the job for that.

overall, they are both quality and suitable for the job, just what you prefer.
yea thats what I gathered. I feel the di noc vinyl is easier to work with and I have used it before. Good to know. GL
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
hcardona111793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
yea thats what I gathered. I feel the di noc vinyl is easier to work with and I have used it before. Good to know. GL
thanks man you too

Tags
carbon fiber, exterior, interior, wrapping